Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    How do we buy apps for this Touchpad if we dont use credit cards?

There is only one app at this point I REALLY need and its Angry Birds.

I dont want the free version but the paid for full one and I looked at HP but they seem to only take credit cards, not even PayPal.

Anyone know of another way to get it on to my Touchpad?

Or does anyone have any first hand experience with Visa Gift Cards being able to pay for them?
    Or know of another route other than asking a friend to put it on their card? I dont want to have to take out a credit card just for this purpose and I have managed to live very well without using them so far....... :-(

I question HP even allowing those gift cards for purchases for i did buy about $25 worth of Apps from iTunes for my jailbroken iPhone and when i went to buy another one a few weeks later, although the first $24.75 had gone through on that card, it turns out that they reverse charges when they discover that its a gift card and not a full version. So i had to then re-pay the $24.75 before i was allowed to download anything else on that account.
    So I dont want to have to r un into this problem IF HP takes these cards, although I would be surprised if they do.
    U dont have a debit card either?
    I thought Angry Birds HD was free for the touchpad? I have it and never paid for it. I paid for Angry Birds on my phone, but I also paid for Angry Bird Seasons and Angry Birds Rio, and didn't get the HD versions of those for free.

edit: but yes, debit cards work fine too. I don't think I've ever had my palm profile linked to an actual credit card.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I thought Angry Birds HD was free for the touchpad? I have it and never paid for it. I paid for Angry Birds on my phone, but I also paid for Angry Bird Seasons and Angry Birds Rio, and didn't get the HD versions of those for free.

edit: but yes, debit cards work fine too. I don't think I've ever had my palm profile linked to an actual credit card.
    Thanks Froggy. I was not at all aware they would except Debit cards and will use that if they do. That would solve any problem.......

As for Johnsonx42 are you sure its the full version though? The free version is only good for a couple of goes at it and if you are an Angry Birds addict, even the monthly updates dont come soon enough but the free version would only last a few hours, if that! LOL

Yes I have them on my iPhone, all 3 versions that you have as well as both macbook pros and the hubby has manage to play each one up to the top level so we always have to wait the last week for updates.....hence, I thought ANOTHER one o the HP might keep him going for the full month and I wouldn't have to be asked for the ten thousandth time the question, 'When is Angry Birds going to be updated?" LOL /sighs

So I haven't any idea how you could have got the full version for free onto the HP Touchpad but would certainly be interested in hearing how if you did........thats why i am guessing you must be referring to the free version??!!
    I believe Visa gift cards work, plus if it didn't you could always just use that visa gift card and lose a very small amount of money trying it (activation fee thingy)
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

6.    #6  
    well I am in HP now and i only see Master card or Visa so where or how does one pay by debit card?

I believe Visa gift cards work, plus if it didn't you could always just use that visa gift card and lose a very small amount of money trying it (activation fee thingy)

i might have to do that IF it does work for although 2 people have mentioned interac cards, I am in HP now and dont see anywhere for it, plus, i rarely use that card and did so I think 3-4 times in the past few months but even then twice the bank called me and my card had been copied by a fake machine so i had to go in and get a new card each time.

With all the hacking into accounts i am not sure I want my bank interac card being out there for anyone to steal.......but if it is an option, I dont see it anyhow so it might be a moot point

not worried about the activation charges. its a very small price to pay as opposed to interest charges....THAT i consider thrown away money, not an activation charge ;-)

Thanks. It might be my only option but until I try I am still leaning towards it being doubtful that they will allow them to be used.
    Too many places wont due to them being used a lot in various fraudulent ways....
    Last edited by ShelaghDB; 09/30/2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Angry Birds HD is free on the Touchpad and is the full version. Unless you're talking about Angry Birds Seasons HD or RIO HD. One option would be a prepaid visa. You just go to your bank and get one and then load it from your bank account.

You don't need to apply and there's no credit check since there's no credit being given.
    Long live webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
    well I am in HP now and i only see Master card or Visa so where or how does one pay by debit card?
    Your debit card should have a visa or master card logo on it. You can use it as a debit or a credit card--well, most debit cards are that way.

If yours is not, you can always get a Walmart pay as you go credit card and use that.
  9.    #9  
    NO in HP it clearly says a CREDIT CARD is needed to purchase items from the store
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    Your debit card should have a visa or master card logo on it. You can use it as a debit or a credit card--well, most debit cards are that way.

If yours is not, you can always get a Walmart pay as you go credit card and use that.

No, I have 3 and i have just looked at each one and none of them do.
    Perhaps its an American thing only?

/sighs, ok, well I will try the pay as you go card but I am betting it wont be allowed either.
    They are all clamping down on those being allowed for payment due to a lot of fraud with them

This is what led me to jailbrake my iphone and I can get any apps I want on it for free once jailbroken but i dont like to see developers not get their share so on Cydia, the jailbrake app that lets you download all sorts of apps that apple wont allow, many of the developers will let u pay by paypal..........ive bought apps that way before without a problem.

But this is going to present a problem on this HP Touchpad I can see

Thanks..............if anyone knows ay other route other than Pay As Yo Go cards please let me know.
    I wish you could just go to the developers site and pay them directly
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I have also given up on trying to buying things, and even the free promo codes
    dont work for me, but in all honestly there is nothing I want to buy so its no loss,
    but I feel that they should have made more payment options open, I do have PayPal,
    I dont like it, but I could have used it.

I hope that the android port will fix this, or at least add some good free APPs/Games
    to the Touchpad.
    ShelaghDB likes this.
    i would hope in the future (altho not likely) they could sell webos gift cards, or they should allow you to bank draft a certain amount to your account. I dont see it happening but it would be nice.
    \
    oh and sorry i just assumed most people's debits had a visa or mastercard logo.
    ShelaghDB likes this.
    I'll be visiting the US next month for a holiday to New Jersey. Can you recommend a pre-paid Visa card I can purchase that will allow me to buy apps from HP. (Keep in mind, I do not have a US address, so I'm not sure how that will factor into any billing address that HP asks for.)
    No, I have 3 and i have just looked at each one and none of them do.
    Perhaps its an American thing only?

/sighs, ok, well I will try the pay as you go card but I am betting it wont be allowed either.
    They are all clamping down on those being allowed for payment due to a lot of fraud with them

This is what led me to jailbrake my iphone and I can get any apps I want on it for free once jailbroken but i dont like to see developers not get their share so on Cydia, the jailbrake app that lets you download all sorts of apps that apple wont allow, many of the developers will let u pay by paypal..........ive bought apps that way before without a problem.

But this is going to present a problem on this HP Touchpad I can see

Thanks..............if anyone knows ay other route other than Pay As Yo Go cards please let me know.
    I wish you could just go to the developers site and pay them directly
    Doesn't PayPal offer a credit/debit card that is linked to your account? I had no use for that, but I do recall seeing the offer when I signed up with them.

ETA: Yep, you can get a PayPal debit card linked to your account (I guess you should find out if its Visa/MC) or a MasterCard (which requires a credit check, but they say it's quick and you're guaranteed a MC). They both offer cash back/credit rewards as well.
    Last edited by MobileBill23; 09/30/2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    I'll be visiting the US next month for a holiday to New Jersey. Can you recommend a pre-paid Visa card I can purchase that will allow me to buy apps from HP. (Keep in mind, I do not have a US address, so I'm not sure how that will factor into any billing address that HP asks for.)
    You can go into any major retailer, drug store, or grocery store and pick up Visa gift cards. They are activated at the time you purchase them, and billing addresses aren't an issue.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    NO in HP it clearly says a CREDIT CARD is needed to purchase items from the store
    Bro quit arguing and just try it. I have purchased all my apps from the HP store with a debit card. You are making this way more difficult than it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    Bro quit arguing and just try it. I have purchased all my apps from the HP store with a debit card. You are making this way more difficult than it needs to be.
    I don't think he has a Visa/MC debit card, just some standard debit card. I guess we Americans are spoiled in that our debits are Visas.
    I use visa debit card
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Doesn't PayPal offer a credit/debit card that is linked to your account? I had no use for that, but I do recall seeing the offer when I signed up with them.

ETA: Yep, you can get a PayPal debit card linked to your account (I guess you should find out if its Visa/MC) or a MasterCard (which requires a credit check, but they say it's quick and you're guaranteed a MC). They both offer cash back/credit rewards as well.

They used to, but they got rid of that feature. Sad, I used it all the time.. not because I didn't have a credit card, but because I liked being able to create a single-use credit card number, or one that would only work for charges from a single retailer. I guess they weren't making any money on this (or possibly losing money), as it's gone now. There might be other services that offer similar functionality though.. I haven't looked into it yet.

EDIT: I thought you were talking about something else, so my reply is in regards to the feature where you could create basically a virtual credit card number. Unless that IS what you were talking about, which means that I'm even more confused than I thought.
    Granted I have a Visa debit card, but anytime a prompt tells me to use a "credit card" my debit card works fine. It seems like the term credit card is used for any electronic card that is used to transfer funds from a bank account...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast