Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    You can go into any major retailer, drug store, or grocery store and pick up Visa gift cards. They are activated at the time you purchase them, and billing addresses aren't an issue.
    I thought the prepaid Visa cards had to be registered to a US address before you can use it with certain on-line retailers as they do ask you to specify a billing address when ordering. Is there a way to register the prepaid visa card to the hotel address of where I'm staying ?
  2.    #22  
    I had 2 more but new pre-paid Visa Gift cards arrive in the mail for me today. I was waiting for these from Friday knowing they were arriving today rather than run out and buy a few more but i just tried them and although it doesn't say they dont accept them, each one i tried resulted in a failed download.

All 4 I just tried to buy said they were failed downloads.
    Whether or not this has anything to do with my being a Canadian and giving my home address in Canada, I cant say?
    Someone mentioned something about America billing addressees being needed?

Yet minutes earlier I downloaded the Free Angry Birds app.

Unfortunately, this problem is the reason for my jailbroken iPhone. I can get whatever app I want whenever i want it and although i have paid most of the programmers, occasionally you cant get around it and cant.
    But give people a way to get them free and many just wont pay period so I tend to think its very short sighted not to allow PayPal or some other method of payment.

Personally I wish PayPal was allowed as I have used a former business credit card I had to buy 3 items online a few years ago, 2 of which I was double charged and had to jump through a few hoops to get the charges reversed so I am not overly comfortable with using credit cards online to begin with so I do everything by PayPal.
    Last edited by ShelaghDB; 10/03/2011 at 02:57 PM.
  3.    #23  
    William 13: I hope that the android port will fix this, or at least add some good free APPs/Games
    to the Touchpad.
    I hear you and this means I will now have to install the Android platform on this HP Touchpad in a few weeks when I gather it will be complete as it will be the only way of getting the apps I want on here.

I have a fried whose card I use whenever i need to and then just do an EMT of funds into her bank account but it costs $1.50 to do that so I dont want to have to that route for every $1.99 app I download. No, its easier to just have direct access and this is the ONLY area in my life where i find I need a credit card. I have everything else sorted out perfectly without one.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    Bro quit arguing and just try it. I have purchased all my apps from the HP store with a debit card. You are making this way more difficult than it needs to be.
    Sure, you tell me HOW to do it and i will.

I am given 2 options only

VISA
    MASTER CARD

no where am I given access to my Interac card and as I just explaiend, VISA GIFT cards do NOT work.
    I have tried, but i knew they wouldnt beforehand as i have run into this problem online beore

So how on earth you bought anything in the store using your debit card is beyond me, UNLESS as a Canadian I have fewer choices than Americans?

I would be more than happy to supply you with a screenshot showing what few options i am given in preferences for this
    here in the united states, every bank atm card is also a visa or mastercard debit card (it's been many years since I've seen an ATM card that didn't work this way). it works exactly like a credit card for any vendor that takes credit cards, but it just takes the money directly from your bank account. this is why we keep telling you to just use your debit card.... you don't need any special selection for that.

if it's not generally that way in canada, then we US debit card users collectively apologize for the misunderstanding. perhaps you should check with your bank to see if they offer an atm card that also works as a visa/mastercard debit card. I certainly think you'd find a lot of things more convenient.

getting back to Angry Birds HD though, other users have confirmed the full version really is free on the touchpad.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    here in the united states, every bank atm card is also a visa or mastercard debit card (it's been many years since I've seen an ATM card that didn't work this way). it works exactly like a credit card for any vendor that takes credit cards, but it just takes the money directly from your bank account. this is why we keep telling you to just use your debit card.... you don't need any special selection for that.

if it's not generally that way in canada, then we US debit card users collectively apologize for the misunderstanding. perhaps you should check with your bank to see if they offer an atm card that also works as a visa/mastercard debit card. I certainly think you'd find a lot of things more convenient.

getting back to Angry Birds HD though, other users have confirmed the full version really is free on the touchpad.
    I do think that this might be the problem. That its different in Canada for interac cards then yours but i shall look into it and see why that is.

As for Angry Birds, you are right, I am very suprised to see that it is a full version as opposed to the usual free program that lasts 5 minutes ;-)

That being said, t is version 1.53 whereas on my iphone its 1.63 and is updated about once a month. I suspect the free version is not updates as often but if you are an addict to the game you must have it updated frequently, hence, why one also gets Angry Birds Rio as well as Seasons ;-)

Ok. Wonder what other countries do then, that dont have this master card/visa attached to their interac cards?
    But i shall look into that tomorrow! Thx
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    I thought the prepaid Visa cards had to be registered to a US address before you can use it with certain on-line retailers as they do ask you to specify a billing address when ordering. Is there a way to register the prepaid visa card to the hotel address of where I'm staying ?
    Interesting. If you find out the answer to that, can you please let me know?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
    As for Angry Birds, you are right, I am very suprised to see that it is a full version as opposed to the usual free program that lasts 5 minutes ;-)

That being said, t is version 1.53 whereas on my iphone its 1.63 and is updated about once a month. I suspect the free version is not updates as often but if you are an addict to the game you must have it updated frequently, hence, why one also gets Angry Birds Rio as well as Seasons ;-)
    Angry Birds updates for webOS always lag behind the other platforms. That's just the way it is. I saw complaints that Rio has yet to be updated at all since it came out. I'm not the addict I once was, so I've not even gotten through the first set of levels in Rio, but the Rio menu screen still shows blank spaces saying "May 2011", "July 2011", "October 2011", and "November 2011". This isn't the touchpad-specific HD version though, perhaps that version has been updated further.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    I've gotten Visa gift cards and never had to register them - they're preloaded so it's presumed that if you're using it that you're the person authorized to use it. They're not credit cards and aren't linked to your personal account, so the step requiring billing info (which is really only a layer of security) isn't necessary. It means, though, that if you lose it you're out of luck.

Well, let me say that this is my limited understanding based on the 2 or 3 I've used over the years.
    I've used a Visa gift card. It works perfect for stuff like this.
    Interesting. If you find out the answer to that, can you please let me know?
    Ok, since we were talking about this, I went and winsome searching and found this:

Online or phone purchases
    To make an online or phone purchase, you will need to register your card. You can do this by either calling the issuing provider, or by visiting their website. This information should have been supplied to you when you received the card. It may also be printed on the back of the card.
    When you make an online or phone purchase, the name, address, and phone number you use will need to be exactly the same as the information you provided when registering your card.
    If the information you provide differs from what was provided when the card was registered, the transaction may be declined.
    You can verify or update your information by visiting the card provider's Web site, or by contacting them using the toll-free number provided in your card materials.

So I stand corrected on the registering, I thought I had used one of these for an online purchase before, and don't remember registering. I don't see where it has to be a US address though, though it could be he's worried about the app catalog taking the card - although I assume that HP is not matching the billing address to the profile account address, only using it when getting approval for the purchase on the card.

I still think the OP should get a PayPal card linked to his account though.
    I hear you and this means I will now have to install the Android platform on this HP Touchpad in a few weeks when I gather it will be complete as it will be the only way of getting the apps I want on here.

I have a fried whose card I use whenever i need to and then just do an EMT of funds into her bank account but it costs $1.50 to do that so I dont want to have to that route for every $1.99 app I download. No, its easier to just have direct access and this is the ONLY area in my life where i find I need a credit card. I have everything else sorted out perfectly without one.
    There are two possible solutions - if your friend is local you can just hand her the cash in person to avoid the transfer fees. If your friend is not local what about transferring a lump sum, or mailing a check? I know neither one is ideal, but they'll help.
  13.    #33  
    Nowadays, since this thread began there are now 2 banks in Ontario at least that are doing as the Americans are and have finally included a VISA number on ones debit card. Both the CIBC and RBC are so far coin it.
    Like the US, your interac card now has a VISA number on it so you can easily use it online to buy apps BUT unlike a true Visa card you MUST have the money in your account at that time and cant expect to pay for it monthly. I find using these cards far superior to PayPal.
    The card at the CIBC is a typical interac card with the Visa logo on it.
    I received one from the RBC 3 weeks ago but it is a separate card to your interac one. With the RBC you have to carry both card for the visa like one is really just made from a cardboard card and can ONLY be used online over the phone when you need to give your number but your interac card is a separate one that can be put through bank machines, whilst their visa one cannot.

If any Canadians are still having problems purchasing apps due to this, go open a account, preferably at the CIBC or RBC as a second choice and you will receive the card right away and start shopping much easier online. It makes you wonder why Americans have had this for about 10 years and we are only getting it now.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12