Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    While sitting on the couch with the wife tonight, me with white 64GB Touchpad in my lap, and her with her with her new MacBook Pro, we experienced just why it is cool to have a TouchPad. X Factor is playing on the tele when she sees this talented young girl singing her face off. Wifey decides she wants to look the girl up because she said she had a YouTube video, so wifey goes to check her out and her MacBook pops up the "you are unable to replay this video".

    Typed the same YouTube link into my good old TouchPad and BOO YA instantly the video plays in all its HD glory and BEATS AUDIO

    MacBook Pro-$2200

    White 64GB TouchPad- $ Free $
    Last edited by MUNOGABBAGABBA; 09/30/2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: MIS SPELLINGS
    Rnp and tech4pk like this.
  2. #2  
    Why couldn't your wife play the video?

    Download the flash plugin for her already...or even better get her the youtube5 safari extension. She can also opt-in to html5 rendering here YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    beardedspoooon likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sm007h View Post
    Why couldn't your wife play the video?

    Download the flash plugin for her already...or even better get her the youtube5 safari extension. She can also opt-in to html5 rendering here [url= - Broadcast Yourself.[/url]
    There are a lot of people here that say the TouchPad is essentially a POS because it didn't do everything 'out of the box'. I think the OP highlights the absurdity of those who expected perfection from the get-go. It's not about whether you can get the MacBook to do the same things, just that the TouchPad could do them out of the box whereas the laptop required tweaking.
  4. #4  
    A bit of a reach ...
  5. #5  
    Boy is that a fantasy. I have a new macbook pro -- what a beautiful machine. And when i first started it up it took 5 seconds to download flash and it is beautuful experirnce. His wife probably didnt know. Just like most firesale tp owners didnt kniw they had to spend hours patching upgrading etc to have the tp have a semblance of a workable tablet. ALL macs play fladh. The ipad plays total flash with the browser called iswifter. So gloating over his tp vs the macbook pro, which is state if the art us like saying a 1972 vw rabbit is superior to a 2012 gti.
  6. #6  
    Since TouchPad is better than your wife's MacPro, can I have it? I will buy a touchpad for your wife from craigslist or ebay. If ebay has that rare white touchpad, I will get that one as well. Deal?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sm007h View Post
    Why couldn't your wife play the video?
    Because of Steve Jobs's irrational decisions regarding Flash.
  8. #8  
    He's convinced the Apple Faithful that Flash will consume their batteries, steal their significant others, and turn their pets against them. And I say this as an Apple (well, Mac, love OS X, not iOS) Faithful. Believe it or not, there are people who leave Flash off of their Macs simply because Steve told them to.

    Never mind that no one is going to leave Flash running for hours on end to consume battery or resources, you usually watch a video or play a game, and the navigate away from it. Yeah there are Flash ads, but those are easily removed.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Because of Steve Jobs's irrational decisions regarding Flash.
    That only has to do with flash on the safari and now the browser iswifter plays flash perfectly.
  10. #10  
    I have both.
    They are both great for different reasons.
    You cant compare one to the other BUT if i had to choose between one only, the MBP does win.
    But its great to have both.

    I love both devices!
  11. #11  
    I like my touchpad but my macbook is far more useful. Not really the same sort of machine. Try running the chrome browser on her macbook - it has a nice sandboxed flash player built in.

    My experience has been that flash *is* the massive resource hog that Jobs claimed it is - it is also necessary for a lot of web sites. I keep flash out of Safari and browse in Chrome which is fairly well behaved. I also keep an eye on the "Activity Manager" window for flash sessions gone mad and kill them. When my macbook battery runs out in 5 hours rather than close to 10, its usually been a flash intensive site chewing up cycles in a hidden tab. The unix underpinnings of mac os X make it easier to keep flash well behaved than on my office Windows XP machine.

    I'd happily trade my touchpad - which I like a lot - for a newer macbook of any stripe.

    Peter
    dong1225 likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Boy is that a fantasy. I have a new macbook pro -- what a beautiful machine. And when i first started it up it took 5 seconds to download flash and it is beautuful experirnce. His wife probably didnt know. Just like most firesale tp owners didnt kniw they had to spend hours patching upgrading etc to have the tp have a semblance of a workable tablet. ALL macs play fladh. The ipad plays total flash with the browser called iswifter. So gloating over his tp vs the macbook pro, which is state if the art us like saying a 1972 vw rabbit is superior to a 2012 gti.
    Talk about fantasies.......

    First of all, the Touchpad is usable right out of the box. Secondly, even if I accept your premise that it is not, it does not take hours to patch.

    This is a fine example of the bias I noted. It is ok to have to download a third party add on for the Macbook, but heaven help the TouchPad because it didn't have something pre-installed.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pwlorraine View Post
    I like my touchpad but my macbook is far more useful. Not really the same sort of machine. Try running the chrome browser on her macbook - it has a nice sandboxed flash player built in.

    My experience has been that flash *is* the massive resource hog that Jobs claimed it is - it is also necessary for a lot of web sites. I keep flash out of Safari and browse in Chrome which is fairly well behaved. I also keep an eye on the "Activity Manager" window for flash sessions gone mad and kill them. When my macbook battery runs out in 5 hours rather than close to 10, its usually been a flash intensive site chewing up cycles in a hidden tab. The unix underpinnings of mac os X make it easier to keep flash well behaved than on my office Windows XP machine.

    I'd happily trade my touchpad - which I like a lot - for a newer macbook of any stripe.

    Peter
    If that's true perhaps you should actually figure out how your office XP machine actually works. If you want to keep Flash under control the easiest way, toss Opera on that bad boy.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Talk about fantasies.......

    First of all, the Touchpad is usable right out of the box. Secondly, even if I accept your premise that it is not, it does not take hours to patch.

    This is a fine example of the bias I noted. It is ok to have to download a third party add on for the Macbook, but heaven help the TouchPad because it didn't have something pre-installed.
    Reading this forum and all the questions its clear that for many newbies who bought a firesale tp with no real knowledge of these things or maybe not even having a computer it did take them a long time to download upgrade patch overclock etc. Not eith a macbook pro. Or ipad. I like my touchpad as a backup to my ipad2 and as a plaything. But you are clearly the one with the wacky pro tp bias trying to compare a dead 99 dollar tablet to a very high tech state of the art computer. The tp is decent but def not the holy grail of tablets, the ipad is, and it may be getting some real competition for the first time from amazon. If you have any spares around that you hope to sell you better do so asap or you'll be lucky to get the firesale price.
  15. aliron's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #15  
    Well, he did say his touchpad and his wife's macbook pro. In each of their respective software configurations that was indeed the case for that situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    compare a dead 99 dollar tablet to a very high tech state of the art computer.
    I think you need to redefine your definitions for "high tech state of the art," unless you're just using them as marketing buzzwords. There's very little in the consumer computer market that's "state of the art." Besides, the i7's been around to consumers for about 3 years now, and Ivy Bridge is just around the corner. MBP is a pretty machine with a great brand name, but lol, give me a break.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Correction, it can do word docs right out of the box ..
    correction: not only is it glitchy as hell, it can do LIMITED word docs right out of the box.

    in all honesty, compared to [any version of] microsoft word (or even wordpad), it's pretty much a joke
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  17. #17  
    In a pile of tablets, all the tablets on the market, I searched. The only tablet I desired was the Touchpad. Price didn't matter. I could have had any tablet I wanted.

    The Touchpad was excellently designed and built.

    Give it a chance. The iPad was warranted a chance to improve. In my heart, I always knew what the Touchpad would become..
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Reading this forum and all the questions its clear that for many newbies who bought a firesale tp with no real knowledge of these things or maybe not even having a computer it did take them a long time to download upgrade patch overclock etc. Not eith a macbook pro. Or ipad. I like my touchpad as a backup to my ipad2 and as a plaything. But you are clearly the one with the wacky pro tp bias trying to compare a dead 99 dollar tablet to a very high tech state of the art computer. The tp is decent but def not the holy grail of tablets, the ipad is, and it may be getting some real competition for the first time from amazon. If you have any spares around that you hope to sell you better do so asap or you'll be lucky to get the firesale price.
    Get a grip, will you?

    The OP posted something that was his own opinion, and you chose to dispute his opinion. I've got news for you, opinions are not facts - they are not necessarily right or wrong, and can be both.

    I'm not a laptop person, the TouchPad (really, any tablet) is better suited to me. The only time I use a laptop is for work - I've never even purchased one (my current one is a work laptop my firm let me have). I hate having to take it out and set it up. That in no way comments on the quality of the laptop. Likewise, the OP was proud of the fact that he could do something that his wife's laptop couldn't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, except, apparently, in your world.

    The veracity of your defense to the perceived attack, when in reality no attack occurred, speaks volumes.

    Just for the heck of it, I'll clarify my displeasure:

    I hate seeing all of the statements here that webOS/TouchPad is junk because it doesn't have apps. Then, when there is an app, it becomes junk because the app is low quality or higher priced (both of which I have disproved, by the way), then finally the argument becomes it is annoying that these apps have to be installed/updated - it should have been done out of the box.

    All I've ever said is that the TouchPad is a darned good tablet, and was worth the $600 I originally paid, when you consider that I do everything on it that I would do on a laptop.

    Now, go and enjoy your macbook in peace. They're fine machines, my daughter just brought home her school-assigned one, and my friend and her husband each have one. Just don't come here and rain on someone else's parade because you think you've been insulted.
  19. atg284's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    #19  
    I was half expecting the OP just to simply say "Its not an apple" :-)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    if you're going to use this argument then the touchpad is also better than every windows laptop, ever

    seriously, this thread is a joke.

    you can get a flash plugin for os x and for windows.

    "touchpad is ready out of the box" -- oh yeah well can the touchpad write word documents? spreadsheets? presentations? "out of the box?" what about msn messenger? what about email threading.. what about system diagnostics, control panels, disk imaging.. oh the touchpad can't do any of those things "out of the box."

    ........__________________________________________.......... <<< that's a stretch

    "my eclipse is better than your 18-wheeler because it has a trunk!"
    TouchPad can do all of those Office functions if they update the app, QuickOffice.

    No MSN messager, but neither does any iOS device out of the box - you have to purchase an app.

    There aren't many system diagnostic, control panel or disk imaging apps pre-installed because the majority of users won't require them and if they really need them, they can use the App Catalog.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions