1.    #1  
    Do you just rip a DVD to your computer and drag and drop into the Touchpad? What format do the movies need to be in for the Touchpad to play them? Also what is the preferred DVD ripping software for a Windows computer?

TIA!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Yes. MP4, same as the iPad if there's an option in your ripping software. Pretty much any ripping software rips to iPad output format these days.
    To play movies on the TP, they need to be MP4 format (same as iTunes). TouchPlayer will play almost any format.

To convert DVD's you need something like PQDVD (paid app although you can download a trial version before paying for full licence).

To get movies onto the TP, I just connect it to my PC, put the TP in USB mode anddrag the movies into a 'Movies' folder on the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgmooney View Post
    To play movies on the TP, they need to be MP4 format (same as iTunes). TouchPlayer will play almost any format.

To convert DVD's you need something like PQDVD (paid app although you can download a trial version before paying for full licence).

To get movies onto the TP, I just connect it to my PC, put the TP in USB mode anddrag the movies into a 'Movies' folder on the TP.
    Handbrake is a free program which enables to re-encode DVD movies to HP Touchpad playable video formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoguy999 View Post
    Handbrake is a free program which enables to re-encode DVD movies to HP Touchpad playable video formats.
    Handbrake works really well - I use it all the time, and it allows you to customize the quality if file size is a concern.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Another vote for Handbrake. The MP4 output format is compatible with the TouchPad and most other devices (as long as you don't include a chapters text track), the default quality settings are good, and it works reliably. I hate fiddling around with dozens of different quality settings in other programs and still not getting a good result. Drawbacks of Handbrake: it's not the fastest converter, the settings are complex and not well explained if you venture away from the defaults, and their support forum has the reputation of being contemptuous of newbie questions.
    I used Handbrake all the time until I Kalemsoft's Media Player. Best few bucks I've spent since now I never have to convert files!
    I've used AnyDvd by Slysoft for years on my htpc, it handles encryption really well. Their cloneDvdMobile is really fast as well.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    AnyDVD is fine for ripping, but it just produces copies of the split .vob files on your hard drive, which you can't play directly on the TP. You still need a converter.

Kalemsoft Media Player does a great job of playing most of the common video formats on the TP, but the challenge is to pick one "keeper" format that can be played anywhere. I haven't found an answer yet. MP4 (or more correctly, m4v) format is fairly universal now in device support thanks to Apple, but many older DLNA servers don't stream it properly, and many devices can't handle anything other than Apple-style stereo AAC audio tracks in MP4 files, so you can't preserve the DD 5.1 surround sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    AnyDVD is fine for ripping, but it just produces copies of the split .vob files on your hard drive, which you can't play directly on the TP. You still need a converter.
    I use cloneDvd Mobile for converting for small screens. Started using it for old PalmOS players.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    handbrake is good for converting, but I'd also urge you to pick up kalemsoft media player as well. Lets you play AVI's and some MKV files should you ever have the need. Plus I find it infinitely better than the native one!
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Actually, Kaleemsoft can play .vob files if you are in a hurry and just want to copy them over to the TP. Granted, it does take up alot of space but if you're in a hurry......

I've always enjoyed converting media to all kids of different formats for different devices. Handbrake and AnyDVD are great but may be too "advanced" for an average user that just wants to watch movies.

My advice is to use a DVD ripping software that you're familiar with then use "Freemake" video converter to covert the files for the TP. (found here: Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download )

All you need to do is add the "Video_TS" file and freemake will add the rest. Then at the bottom of the screen you'll have several different options for whatever kind of format you need to convert it to. For the TP just use the default setting for IPAD2 and Freemake will do the rest.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I use Cucusoft DVD Ripper & Video Converter Ultimate. It has the aspect ratio for a lot of portable devices including Palm Pre. TouchPad is not listed, but since the device is same ratio as Ipad use Ipad setting. You can also have it stretch to full screen with no letter box. You can change it to MP4 which works on TouchPad with no additional convertion needed, WAV for (Windows Media Player), you can make audio file by changing to MP3.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The are several problems with playing vob files directly, including:
    a) A single title can be spread across multiple vob files
    b) Multiple titles can be present in one vob file, including title with different resolutions that completely confuse most players
    c) If there are multiple language tracks, their order in each vob file is random even for a single movie spanning multiple vob files. There's no way the player software can tell which is which without being able to refer to the ifo file.
    d) vob files use mpeg-2 compression, which is less efficient than H.264

It's better to convert them. You'll save space, and end up with one clear title per file.
    There's an old program called DVD to Pre that I use to rip movies to all my webOS devices.....quick and easy

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    dvd to pre is no longer available. Do you think you could upload it?
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    There's an old program called DVD to Pre that I use to rip movies to all my webOS devices.....quick and easy

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Bump.
    Where can this be located?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    Bump.
    Where can this be located?
    try something like...

HandBrake: Downloads

...instead, theres plenty of other alternatives around as well.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I loaded some episodes of Pretty Little Liars on my Touchpad (MKV, 720p) without scaling 'em for the screen of the Touchpad and they play just fine (I use KalemSoft Media Player).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I loaded some episodes of Pretty Little Liars on my Touchpad (MKV, 720p) without scaling 'em for the screen of the Touchpad and they play just fine (I use KalemSoft Media Player).
    From a DVD?