webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad now accepts Chinese handwriting input, but why no English handwriting input?
Touchpad now accepts Chinese handwriting input, but why no English handwriting input?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 09/30/2011, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

The Touchpad now accepts Chinese handwriting input, but why no English handwriting input?

As seen in this recent video on YouTube:
Link to video: HP Touchpad

The uploader apparently was writing stuff in Chinese with his fingers and the Touchpad
recognised it without any problems. Only wish I can do that with English!
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It's some kind of TouchPAD 3.02 installed Baidu input

Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/30/2011 at 02:08 AM.
ModeratorOMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Windows mobile 6 had superb english handrwriting recognition on my Asus A686 with resistive touchscreen. Seems with the advent of capacitive screens, though, the idea of handrwriting recognition on mobile devices got dropped, except for languages where I suppose a soft keyboard is just way too clumsy. It's a shame.
DrPotoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by seito likes this.
Old 10/12/2011, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

any idea where you can download the chinese handwriting?
BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ironically, Amazon's free Android app of the day about a week ago was Graffiti from Access - yes, the same Graffiti from PalmOS days Surprisingly, it works pretty good by finger.
govotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
any idea where you can download the chinese handwriting?
Hi mate,

go to this link if you could read chinese, cheers !
http://www.treo8.com/bbs/thread-261815-1-1.html

( Friendly reminder -- the app will update the firmware and could not undo unless performing a factory reset ! )

Last edited by mm1668; 10/12/2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: fix URL
mm1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2011, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1668 View Post
Hi mate,

go to this link if you could read chinese, cheers !
中文语言+百度输入法补丁包【仅适用于官方英文版3.0.2系统】 - TouchPad & webOS 3 - 吹友吧(Pre,Pixi,webOS) - Powered by Discuz!

( Friendly reminder -- the app will update the firmware and could not undo unless performing a factory reset ! )
can someone please translate the installation instructions please? i tried to get my parents to read it but they had difficulty trying to translate the technical terms.

thanks a lot!
toge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2011, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldisk View Post
The Touchpad now accepts Chinese handwriting input, but why no English handwriting input?

As seen in this recent video on YouTube:
[url= to video: HP Touchpad[/url]

The uploader apparently was writing stuff in Chinese with his fingers and the Touchpad
recognised it without any problems. Only wish I can do that with English!
Have you seen my handwriting? The developers took one look and said "it would be easier to handle chinese characters", so China can thank me for the inspiration!
Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ranchlizard likes this.
Old 10/17/2011, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

can any kind chinese reading fellow help me please ^_^
toge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 04:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hope this helps Hand writting –

Direct DL link Uploadstation - Your #1 Free File Hosting Service Made Simple
KhaKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: rocknbarbie
Old 11/13/2011, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaKev View Post
Thanks a lot for referring this web site and special thanks to the original patch developer too. It is very clear and helpful.

I followed the step 1 (WebOS Quick Install) and got a similar error in the step 2. The TouchPad then was trying to reboot as said in the procedure. However, TouchPad tried to reboot forever and never success.

I then used WebOS Doctor to reset my TouchPad. I then followed the procedure exactly and redid it but I got the same probelm. TouchPad cannot reboot itself.

Would you please give me some advices? Chinese Handwriting is important to me. Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
stevenjang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes, steven, it reboot forever, but it will pass it.
BTW, how about po pho mo? This helps a lot in my 10 yr old chinese class. Yes, Daddy don't read chinese.
swak6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2011, 09:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjang View Post
Thanks a lot for referring this web site and special thanks to the original patch developer too. It is very clear and helpful.

I followed the step 1 (WebOS Quick Install) and got a similar error in the step 2. The TouchPad then was trying to reboot as said in the procedure. However, TouchPad tried to reboot forever and never success.

I then used WebOS Doctor to reset my TouchPad. I then followed the procedure exactly and redid it but I got the same probelm. TouchPad cannot reboot itself.

Would you please give me some advices? Chinese Handwriting is important to me. Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Swak6287:

I let my TouchPad reboot overnight and it didn't success. It hang there forever. I start to suspect the handwriting patch is not for my TouchPad. My OS version is webOS 3.0.4.

Any advice!
Old 11/15/2011, 09:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello Swak6287:

I let my TouchPad reboot overnight and it didn't success. It hang there forever. I start to suspect the handwriting patch is not for my TouchPad. My OS version is webOS 3.0.4.

Any advice!
Downgrade to 3.0.2 ?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2011, 10:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello Swak6287:

Any advice!
send me a PM with your e-mail, then I will send you the Chinese file for 3.0.4 --- yes, you .
need a different patch for 3.0.2 and 3.0.4. The file is a little over 6MB. Or you can search for it on the Chinese website Treo8. There is also a thread on "Baidu input" in this forum. Search for it.

I have that patch installed, and can find only 2 minor problems with it:

1.)Secondary characters on the keyboard don't work in the terminal and Ubuntu.
2.)To uninstall you have to see the doctor.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: stevenjang
Old 11/16/2011, 09:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

mmm... i had no problem installing the baidu chinese ime. i got my copy from here.
neocatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2011, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

except handwriting, dont know the other input methods so cant comment on them. personally the good bits are:
- word selection problem with handwriting input in previous version now corrected
- supports traditional chinese input and display
- have to adjust 'writing speed' in handwriting setting under ime setting. otherwise it will only recognize writing strokes instead of complete words

but should also note the following:
- once installed, cannot be removed unless doctored
- chinese ime will become the default keyboard
- occasionally all keys will become totally blank and unusable. must luna restart to resume normal
- new problem with 'word association'. associated word(s) are selected automatically unless you press backspace. i have entirely switched this function off ('no association')
Old 11/16/2011, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

the new 'ime setting' icon when successfully installed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switcharootouch_2011-16-11_134956.jpg (118.1 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
Old 11/16/2011, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

more screenshots. hope they will be helpful...
Old 11/16/2011, 08:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
send me a PM with your e-mail, then I will send you the Chinese file for 3.0.4 --- yes, you .
need a different patch for 3.0.2 and 3.0.4. The file is a little over 6MB. Or you can search for it on the Chinese website Treo8. There is also a thread on "Baidu input" in this forum. Search for it.

I have that patch installed, and can find only 2 minor problems with it:

1.)Secondary characters on the keyboard don't work in the terminal and Ubuntu.
2.)To uninstall you have to see the doctor.
HansTWN:

I have downloaded and installed the patch version 3.0.4. It works now. Thanks a lot for the information and of course to the original developer.

However, when I tried to open a Chinese .epub novel, I still cannot open it. Any one knows any app. can read Chinese .epub file? Thanks.

-Steven

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0