Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just so that everyone knows - Amazon is offering a free trial month trial of Amazon Prime, including free unlimited video streaming. If you are a student or anyone else who can validate an email address with a .edu extension, you can get Amazon Prime or free for a year - this does not include video streaming. However, they are offering an upgrade to video streaming for $39 a year for a four year period, as opposed to the usual $79.00 price.

I still had 5 months left on my free Prime membership, but upgraded today for $39.00 only because I had no idea how long this offer was going to last. Ummm and that was before I realized that I could have simply gotten a month for free ! Amazon video streaming looks FANTASTIC on the TP. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    Plus they are the only ones giving Star Trek DS9 to stream too. I hope they don't take their competitors take and all the sudden block tablet browsers.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Plus they are the only ones giving Star Trek DS9 to stream too. I hope they don't take their competitors take and all the sudden block tablet browsers.
    $79 is $79 - the more the merrier. I could not see Amazon saying they will not offer the service to people unless they buy their hardware. I think they are more into showing that they should be your one-stop-n-shop mobile media center and library.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    Just so that everyone knows - Amazon is offering a free trial month trial of Amazon Prime, including free unlimited video streaming. If you are a student or anyone else who can validate an email address with a .edu extension, you can get Amazon Prime or free for a year - this does not include video streaming. However, they are offering an upgrade to video streaming for $39 a year for a four year period, as opposed to the usual $79.00 price.

I still had 5 months left on my free Prime membership, but upgraded today for $39.00 only because I had no idea how long this offer was going to last. Ummm and that was before I realized that I could have simply gotten a month for free ! Amazon video streaming looks FANTASTIC on the TP. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. My wife has a .edu email finishing her MBA and I guess we could sign-up for Amazon Prime Student and take advantage of this offer.

I found this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/si...bosnation0e-20

and can sign-up and get on-board for $39 a year for four years with automatic renewal.

1. So I get Amazon Prime membership (shipping and other features) as well as Free Prime Instant Video access for only $39/year?

2. I guess my wife and I will have to use her Amazon Prime account for all orders and to login too Prime Instant videos?

3. Is anything else required after you go through the initial verification process?

4. Do I have to sign up for the $39/year fee now or will this happen later at the discount 1 year from today?

5. One last question, what happens in a year when my wife finishes her MBA and graduates losing her .edu email account?

Thanks for the clarification and sharing what you may know. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    any way to get an .edu email w/o being registered in school? :P
    What I can comprehend from what is stated on the page that you linked, is that you need the '.edu' email to verify and register. You do not need the email later on I think. Also, a lot of schools allow you to continue using your '.edu' email id for life. I know my school does. Unfortunately they didn't have email back when I graduated from school.

My question is, does the 'Student Prime Membership' entitle you to add 'three' guests to the Prime membership? The regular Prime membership does allow that.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    NO... Go to School
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. My wife has a .edu email finishing her MBA and I guess we could sign-up for Amazon Prime Student and take advantage of this offer.

I found this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/student/si...bosnation0e-20

and can sign-up and get on-board for $39 a year for four years with automatic renewal.

1. So I get Amazon Prime membership (shipping and other features) as well as Free Prime Instant Video access for only $39/year?

2. I guess my wife and I will have to use her Amazon Prime account for all orders and to login too Prime Instant videos?

3. Is anything else required after you go through the initial verification process?

4. Do I have to sign up for the $39/year fee now or will this happen later at the discount 1 year from today?

5. One last question, what happens in a year when my wife finishes her MBA and graduates losing her .edu email account?

Thanks for the clarification and sharing what you may know. Sorli...
    just sign up - they will send her an email to verify the address - I already had an account that I have been using for years, when I signed up. While I had a school account as well, I actually used my work email account- they sent a link - I registered with the same name and they just linked the account. I think I got one other email from them months later re upgrading when mine ends in Feb - other than that- all my amazon purchases and other notifications go to my hotmail account.
  9.    #9  
    just register and see - I do not know when the $39 offer showed up, as I never cared before. But I wanted to see how videos played on my TP, so streamed a preview from amazon and that's when I saw the $39.00 offer - but saw the free month upgrade too late. I actually called amazon tonight to cancel the paid subscription so that I can check it out for free first. BUT when they cancelled the paid upgrade - they cancelled my free subscription too which doesn't expire for several more months. I had to call them back, and they said it will take a few days for them to clear it up. Interestingly, even though my account sais the my student prime had expired - I was still offered the $39.00 rate. So, I am thinking that so long as you start off with that free student offer, you will get the reduced upgrade rate, but I do not know if this is a standard thing or a limited-time offer.

From what I read when I upgraded - you can have the $39 rate for up to 4 years - unless you tell them you are no longer in school. I jumped on the upgrade because I thought it was a special that would end soon. But after thinking about it - I thought it better to do the free trial first - also with the launch o the Fire - I am sure they will have this offer around for a while to give people an incentive to pick up the tablet, although you don't need it to get the service.
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/29/2011 at 10:08 PM.
    same deal is applicable to amazon mom.ie $39 yr for video streaming.
    It says in the FAQ that if you currently have prime and have people on it, it will allow them to keep it, however if you do not you cannot add anyone. You also cant add anyone additional after you switch to student
    I need to go to school, so I can get this
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Wait, so Amazon video streaming works on the touchpad???
    I just upgraded my student prime, and while the video quality is great, it seems that if you try to seek around in the videos, the video freezes but the audio still plays. Anyone figure out a way around this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkavic View Post
    Sort of, I get audio but no video. It works fine on my PC though.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    What I can comprehend from what is stated on the page that you linked, is that you need the '.edu' email to verify and register. You do not need the email later on I think. Also, a lot of schools allow you to continue using your '.edu' email id for life. I know my school does. Unfortunately they didn't have email back when I graduated from school.
    hm. if only i could remember mine that i never used back then :P

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    NO... Go to School
    lol already graduated
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    You could also graduate from a school that offers an alumni .edu address.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkavic View Post
    Haven't tried Prime, haven't signed up yet, but my Amazon VOD purchases have streamed to my TouchPad ok.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Amazon Prime streaming works great on the TP. Just tried it. I also have a few Roku boxes, and just cancelled Netflix, so this might be the ticket.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    when browsing amazon video stream currently with my free student prime account, lets say i search up lord of war, it says $4.99 with amazon prime to rent. If i pay the $39 to upgrade for the year, do you guys still have to pay to stream those movies? or all the paid movies became free?
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  20.    #20  
    1. Amazon Prime streaming works wonderfully on the TP - Try to find a video with a free preview - or one of those short behind the scenes trailers. I watched one about the movie Salt.
    2. I have no idea about adding people; never thought about it.
    3. Sign-up is Free - so just do it - for the free 2-day shipping alone.
    4. Upgrade to try unlimited streaming for a month is FREE
    5. student membership lasts a year
    6.Not all videos are included in this, I did not realize this when I signed up - I do not know if the cost of some is at a reduced price or not. I know there are over 2000 movies and 200 shows and Amazon is adding more of both.
    7. Considering this, this might not be for everyone. This is why it is best to check it out for Free first and or call Amazon to make sure u know what u r getting into - if nothing else - if u r an avid amazon shopper like I am, u get great Prime shipping benefits.
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 10/01/2011 at 12:53 PM.
    bluenote likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast