Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By addiarmadar
  • 1 Post By nappy
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By DS_Palm_Lvr
  1.    #1  
    I wonder when HP found out about the specs & pricing on the Kindle Fire? Did that knowledge affect their decision back in August to get out of the tablet market? If so, was it the major reason?

I am thinking at $199, it will sell really well and for most people (like my mother), they will be happy with it. I think they are going to sell a lot of these, because I think for most people, a TouchPad, iPad, Playbook, ... do more then what people really need and you have to pay for that capability.

As an example, having a van that can carry 8 people, a load of wood, pull a trailier,... is great when you need it, but if you are a single person that lives 1 mile from work and you don't drive that much, the extra expense for an 8 person mini-van over a Toyota Matrix is hard to justify.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    I wonder when HP found out about the specs & pricing on the Kindle Fire? Did that knowledge affect their decision back in August to get out of the tablet market? If so, was it the major reason?

I am thinking at $199, it will sell really well and for most people (like my mother), they will be happy with it. I think they are going to sell a lot of these, because I think for most people, a TouchPad, iPad, Playbook, ... do more then what people really need and you have to pay for that capability.

As an example, having a van that can carry 8 people, a load of wood, pull a trailier,... is great when you need it, but if you are a single person that lives 1 mile from work and you don't drive that much, the extra expense for an 8 person mini-van over a Toyota Matrix is hard to justify.

What do you think?
    No - I think the two devices cater to different markets. HP had the wrong people making decisions who showed little interest in their own product from the start, therefore, did very little to showcase that TP's strengths to the consumers. Without providing consumers any real knowledge of or incentive to buy the TP, but selling it at iPad prices (which is what so many of us are NOT willing to pay for any tablet), HP undermined their own product, gave up, and blamed it on poor sales. Obviously - the TP can sell! This is my first tablet - and had someone tried to sell it to me at $300 with its specs and capabilities, the only two things that would have had me hesitating are- lack of expandable memory - and the 10 inch screen. Drop it to $250 - and I would have forgotten about those things. Now that I own one - I would even venture to buy another 10 inch device.
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/29/2011 at 04:13 PM.
    widerf,

Hi, unless I am a single person who loves to hang out with 7 gals in a van every weekend

I am cheap and I thank HP for my FREE 32GB TouchPad. But I can understand to invest $200 for a tablet would be safe bet than some other contenders. Otherwise, why bother like HP had set the initial price point as high as an Apple iPad?
    My guess is Best Buy knew of the upcoming Kindle Fire and the retail price. They also knew that they had less than a 10% sell through on the Touchpad with sales falling every week. They decided to get the Touchpads off the shelf to make room.

There also may have been a 30 or 60 day billing on the units and it was getting to the pay for 250K unsold units or return them moment.
    I have also read they may have got their hands on some very slick windows8 tablets and had to rethink the whole webOS on every device they sell mentality.
    The only thing that the Kindle Fire scared off for the world of Touchpads is those trying to resell their firesale device for a profit. Im betting Amazon is selling these Kindles at a loss to recoup revenue in digitial purchases.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    I think they should do an in depth interview or documentary about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    I think they should do an in depth interview or documentary about this.
    Why. It ain't that serious. Things/products fail all the time. Webos and HP is nothing special deserving of anything more than that cartoon on YouTube.

I'd rather see a show on webos diehard fans showing how they can't live without webos. Show how they patch, cobble together and frankpre their devices. That show would be highly entertaining.
    It would be like those Japanese holdout soldiers who never found out WW2 ended.
    Nychotxxx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Why. It ain't that serious. Things/products fail all the time. Webos and HP is nothing special deserving of anything more than that cartoon on YouTube.

I'd rather see a show on webos diehard fans showing how they can't live without webos. Show how they patch, cobble together and frankpre their devices. That show would be highly entertaining.
    Actually an in-depth story on the inside story of HP's implosion would be fascinating. As good as anything about Enron or Lehman brothers - their end may very well be the fate of HP (or at least a company which is just a shell of their former greatness).

You would have everything, corporate backstabbing , sex scandals, corporate espionage, defections, high stakes business wagers.

Would be MUCH better than the Facebook movie.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    It wasn't that HP was scared out of the tablet market. They just let their own stupidity mess it up without any external help.
    blake711 and sparced like this.
    If it was HP's plan all along to get out of the PC and Tablet business, then why did they launch the Touchpad? If it wasn't their plan all along to get out of the PC and Tablet business, then why don't they support the Touchpad's return?

August 18th, HP started releasing frivolous, unexplainable and eccentric statements to the public. Causing a fire storm.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/30/2011 at 06:14 AM.
    I think that If the touchpad were originally priced more competitively ($300), then the Amazon fire would not have stood a chance against it.
    I think the whole picture shows that there was a lot of infighting inside HP, and the Touchpad was doomed from the start.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    I think the whole picture shows that there was a lot of infighting inside HP, and the Touchpad was doomed from the start.
    I completely agree.. This is all the downside of taking a shortcut on hiring a ceo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    The only thing that the Kindle Fire scared off for the world of Touchpads is those trying to resell their firesale device for a profit. Im betting Amazon is selling these Kindles at a loss to recoup revenue in digitial purchases.
    I read somewhere (so much news, hard to keep track) that suggested Amazon was taking around a $50 loss. RIM pays for most of the R&D (inadvertently), Amazon can sell for much less without having to worry about recouping those expenses through the product. Plus, once they make a few amazon.com sales, Kindle Fire becomes pure profit.

edit: Trying to find where I read that $50 thing.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=8FEq64eRSxV

Of course, that's according to an analyst, so take it FWIW.
    Last edited by beardedspoooon; 09/30/2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well, isn't Ruby on the Amazon board?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Sounds like Amazon may benefit - they're a leading contender to buy WebOS!: Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart — will it click Buy? (exclusive) | VentureBeat

There's got to be a book in all this. If I had inside sources, I'd take a crack at writing it:

"Fire Sale: The Inside Story of How HP Failed in the Tablet Market"
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It would be like those Japanese holdout soldiers who never found out WW2 ended.

Niw THAT is funny. Nice!