1.    #1  
    Here is the sequence of events that led me into this trouble:

1.)Installed F4 Phantom when i got my touchpad, and was working fine for a few weeks.
    2.) Was using the browser one day, and the touchpad had a hard hang (non responsive)
    3.) Did a hard reset (hold power + home button for 15 seconds)
    4.) F4 phantom boots, but has a bunch of "Data Timeout" messages printed as well as runs an **** every time it boots now.
    5.) Uninstalled F4 phantom from preware, rebooted, F4 phantom still on my system after the reboot. Also tried uninstalling F4 from "downloads" card on the touchpad with the same effect.
    6.) Tried installing Palm Recovery kernel, but after reboot F4 phantom boots and not the stock kernel.

At this point I tried to run webos doctor.
    Webos doctor runs, but when it gets to 12% it fails with a message in the command line along the effects of "error re-initializing CPU" and webos doctor says it cannot repair my device. My touchpad still boots, but I cannot install/uninstall anything it appears and doesnt look like its in a good state.

Any ideas that I can try to get this back to a default state/get WebOS doctor running?
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I don't have the link handy, but have you checked out the webOS internals web doctor wiki? I remember seeing instructions about what to do if web doctor got to 12%.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    I don't have the link handy, but have you checked out the webOS internals web doctor wiki? I remember seeing instructions about what to do if web doctor got to 12%.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Yes I tried the instructions there to no avail. When I try to install the recovery default kernel in preware I get the following error:

"offline root mode:not running org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-f4-kernel-touchpad.prerm"

Guessing this is why it doesnt install since it doesnt have permissions?
  4.    #4  
    Another note, when webos doctor fails I get the trenchcoat error CPU-specific initialization failed
  5.    #5  
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: 1: /usr/lib/libparted-1.8.so.9 [0x2aafbff8]

Sep 29, 2011 8:55:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Backtrace has 20 calls on stack:

rint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: 20: /usr/lib/libparted-1.8.so.9(ped_assert+0x40) [0x2aadc890]

Sep 29, 2011 8:55:53 PM com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream logWarning

WARNING: SocketException Cmd: file:///sbin/trenchcoat
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readArray(PacketReader.java:44
    )
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readPacket(PacketReader.java:5
    8)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.read(PacketReader.java:87)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.read(NovacomSocketStrea
    m.java:127)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.readLine(NovacomBaseStrea
    m.java:42)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage$TrenchcoatReaderT
    hread.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:194)
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage$Tren
    chcoatReaderThread run
    WARNING:
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readArray(PacketReader.java:44
    )
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readPacket(PacketReader.java:5
    8)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.read(PacketReader.java:87)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.read(NovacomSocketStrea
    m.java:127)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.readLine(NovacomBaseStrea
    m.java:42)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage$TrenchcoatReaderT
    hread.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:194)
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:55 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController hand
    leFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:55 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController hand
    leFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    Trenchcoat error: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatSta
    ge.java:104)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:472
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    eryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    eryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Sep 29, 2011 8:55:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    That is the procedure that I am following to try and doctor my touchpad. I get stuck at 12% with the CPU-initialization error mentioned in the logs above.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Maybe this will help:

Quote Originally Posted by sincitybronze View Post
    OK, I think I got this to work thanks to rwhitby's suggestion to run webos doctor in a command line. I found onebadtaz's instructions here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...sue-fixed.html

For those of you who are clueless (like me), here's how I got it to work.

1) Start button, accessories, command prompt.
    2) Type cd "c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin" and hit enter.
    3) Download the Webos Doctor file at Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals.
    4) Place the file in the directory in #2.
    5) Go back to the command line and type java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar, then hit enter.
    6) Webos doctor opens. Start the program and it will go to 12% and stop.
    7) Open novaterm. (What is novaterm? I have no idea, but I downloaded it at http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip). Extract the files (I extracted to my desktop) and run the .exe file. Select connect.
    8) Pray.
    9) As onebadtaz suggested, type dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-medi, then hit enter.
    10) Choose option 2. I can't remember what it was, but that's what I chose. Select Y for yes.
    11) Close Webos doctor and shake your fist at the computer and touchpad for driving you nuts.
    12) Start Webos doctor yet again using the command line.
    13) Hope your touchpad makes it through the process this time so you can select your language and cheer.
  9.    #9  
    I tried that dosfsck command, but /dev/mapper/store-media does not exist. Is there a command to re-create the file system "store-media"?
  10.    #10  
    Another note, I can run the dosfsck command after doing booting the touchpad and it does something, but is still failing at the 12% and has socket exceptions in the command line log for webos doctor with "connection reset". Running WebOS doctor on a windows 7 machine. Is there an issue with the drivers on windows 7 32 bit???
    Last edited by dbennett7878; 10/01/2011 at 12:44 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Hopefully someone knows a workaround to this issue soon, or this touchpad is bound for return.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    reinstall the f4 kernel and then try to remove it again
  13.    #13  
    no dice. HP is sending me a box for return at this point. Ive spent too many hours trying to fix this with no luck. Hopefully the turnaround time isnt too long.....
    Last edited by dbennett7878; 10/02/2011 at 11:13 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Talked HP into doing the advance exchange option with the $59 fee waived. Hopefully my new one arrives soon. Wish there was better support for these. I cant imagine someone that doesnt have much computer experience using webos doctor and having to do all of the command line interfacing to get it to work if at all.