Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jblather
  • 2 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    Im curious if anyone shipped it back to them without using webosdoctor and having the kernels still installed?
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
    Unless they can show that whatever modification you made caused the damage they should not void the warranty. If you're overclocked I could see them denying a claim if your proccessor was fried but if you send it in for a cracked case the overclocking has nothing to do with the damage so they should fix it no problem.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    If you can't boot it up I doubt they can either. I guess a couple of exceptions to this would be dead screen or a loose cable, etc.

What's wrong with your TP? What was it clocked to?
    kernels can void your warranty and even if the device can't be booted HP can tell if you have run an OC kernel. To this point I have yet to hear of any webOS device having the warranty voided.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Unless they can show that whatever modification you made caused the damage they should not void the warranty. If you're overclocked I could see them denying a claim if your proccessor was fried but if you send it in for a cracked case the overclocking has nothing to do with the damage so they should fix it no problem.
    You underestimate the potential of creative thinking!

Overclocking caused the case to overheat and crack. Claim denied.

Overclocking caused the case to overheat so much that you burned your fingers when you picked it up and then you dropped it, cracking the case. Claim denied.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    kernels can void your warranty and even if the device can't be booted HP can tell if you have run an OC kernel. To this point I have yet to hear of any webOS device having the warranty voided.

I don't know about webOS phones or Touchpads. However, when my HP Envy laptop's
    was bricked, I shipped it back to HP and received a refurbished replacement in three days.

A week later, I received an email notification from the tracking software that I had
    installed on the Envy laptop. Somone had apprently managed to power up the laptop
    so the software sent out the emai. The email included the IP address it came from...
    The IP was in Reynosa, Mexico, just across the border from the US. Whois showed the
    IP as having been registered by HP in Mexico... very strang... I wasn't aware
    that HP outsources its repairs to Mexico?

The point is that they never checked the laptop until a week after they shipped me the
    refurbished replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    The point is that they never checked the laptop until a week after they shipped me the
    refurbished replacement.
    They don't need to power up your webOS device to know it was OC'd though. (just so that's out there, like I said never heard of a warranty refused)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I wasn't aware
    Well, the TouchPads are going to El Paso, TX. . . so they might be shipped across the border to be fixed. I wouldn't be surprised. . . got one back that was in a sorry state--there was all kinds of junk under the screen protector against the glass, not to mention it wasn't fixed properly even though I added a note in with the TP telling them exactly what was wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    Well, the TouchPads are going to El Paso, TX. . . so they might be shipped across the border to be fixed. ...... it wasn't fixed properly even though I added a note in with the TP telling them exactly what was wrong with it.
    You should have written the note in Spanish...
    For the record, regardless if you re-Doctor your device, HP knows daily what kernel you are using, if they want to dig that far.(Your tablet and/or phone communicates daily with your profile). There has not been one case of a warranty getting voided, but the caveat remains. They reserve the right to void the warranty.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    For the record, regardless if you re-Doctor your device, HP knows daily what kernel you are using, if they want to dig that far.(Your tablet and/or phone communicates daily with your profile). There has not been one case of a warranty getting voided, but the caveat remains. They reserve the right to void the warranty.
    i downloaded a fix with preware that stopped communication with the topuchpad and hp.... i thought anyway. i web os doctored it and it went through 100% but i unplugged it before it could restart.... do you think all the data is removed still? i was on the 1512 kernel btw.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    One thing that would be hard to defend is non-kernel preware patches (and frankly, I think even the kernel updates). HP advertised Preware and the homebrew community in the August issue of Pivot, even featuring the Homebrew Documentation app. Hard to do that and then say "well, you've installed preware and some patches, so warranty denied."
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
    i downloaded a fix with preware that stopped communication with the topuchpad and hp.... i thought anyway. i web os doctored it and it went through 100% but i unplugged it before it could restart.... do you think all the data is removed still? i was on the 1512 kernel btw.
    It doesn't matter, you still communicate with your profile daily. That stops a lot of communication, but not all of it.
    I did but mine is still 'being repaired'.

Haven't heard from them about that so far.

Also today is the last day of the turnaround period so I might call them to see what's up although it's more than likely it won't change anything.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    One thing that would be hard to defend is non-kernel preware patches (and frankly, I think even the kernel updates). HP advertised Preware and the homebrew community in the August issue of Pivot, even featuring the Homebrew Documentation app. Hard to do that and then say "well, you've installed preware and some patches, so warranty denied."
    i accidentally updated a kernel and thats when things went to hell. do you think that means they will void it?
    HP Touchpad 32gb
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It doesn't matter, you still communicate with your profile daily. That stops a lot of communication, but not all of it.
    Okay, but do you think updating a kernel wouldnt void it? you said using a kernel wouldnt as there hasnt been a case so far to your knowledge, but what about updating one?
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
    i accidentally updated a kernel and thats when things went to hell. do you think that means they will void it?
    See Post #10

You need to find the appropriate thread, for example F-15C thread is here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...st-kernel.html

When you read Post #1, there is a lot of information there that you should have already read, and explains what to do in case something screws up. From the sounds of the post I quoted, that's what happened. This is also why they do not recommend anything past Uberkernel for the average user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    Nobody said patches would void. At least before HP (and I believe even after HP bought Palm) it has been said patches in general do not void your warranty. It has been stated clearly by HP/Palm that kernels can void your warranty.

Just to be clear, there is no speculation here.
    I don't know about webOS phones or Touchpads. However, when my HP Envy laptop's
    was bricked, I shipped it back to HP and received a refurbished replacement in three days.

A week later, I received an email notification from the tracking software that I had
    installed on the Envy laptop. Somone had apprently managed to power up the laptop
    so the software sent out the emai. The email included the IP address it came from...
    The IP was in Reynosa, Mexico, just across the border from the US. Whois showed the
    IP as having been registered by HP in Mexico... very strang... I wasn't aware

refurbished replacement.
    can you tell me what software you had running on it for tracking?