Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I fully expect someone to come up with a way to "jailbreak" the Amazon Fire
    before Christmas. (pretty fast, considering Amazon isn't expected to ship
    the Fire until mid-November)
    Apparently Amazon doesn't care if you root the Kindle Fire. Other than the fact it voids your warranty, they are not going out of their way to make it difficult.

Amazon: The Kindle Fire Will Get Rooted | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Here is my perspective about Amazon. I will say I had the opportunity to buy a TP yesterday via epp firesale. I didn't have my mind made up on it until after I looked at the Fire specs. I buy thousands of dollars of goods a year from amazon because of price and convenience. Out of those few thousand a year less than $100 is probably digital content.

I will not own an Apple product as I despise them and Steve Jobs. Up until this point I have never really been to excited about tablets but when I started seeing rumors of amazon making one I got excited. Now after seeing the specs its pretty clear its not for techies. I was more interested in the 10in that is supposed to come out after the first of the year. Looking at how the 7in is built I have no reason to believe the 10 will be more powerful just a larger screen. So after seeing how the fire was made and its designed usage. I went ahead and bought a firesale TP yesterday. I say all that to say this. The only thing that ever got me excited about a tablet was that Amazon was making one. So I would think other folks will buy one simply because Amazon is making it. Also Amazon has spent plenty of time to make this look like an AmazonOS if you will. vs all the other android tablets that are all over the place in their mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right but the advantage that Amazon has over other tablet makers is not simply digital content but the availability of physical goods. Who doesn't think that when you search for "HD TV" or "watch" or "T-shirt" on the Amazon browser that it will not helpfully lead you to the amazon store?

This has massive potential to raise revenue at Amazon.
    You sir are correct. 3.99 for next day delivery...free 2 day delivery... I absolutely hate going into stores now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    You sir are correct. 3.99 for next day delivery...free 2 day delivery... I absolutely hate going into stores now.
    And with the Kindle Fire, now you can shop at the various Amazon stores at 3:00 am while lying in your bed! Now that's convenience.

One of the secrets to business success is to always make it easy for the customer to give you money.
    Whats the point. The tp is DEAD -- d-e-a-d -- except for us who bought one for the price of pair of pants. The fire will sell millions and be around in better and better revisions for a long time. Rim is already fire saling its playbook. Hp is def not going to contunue with the tp or webos and its doubtful anyone with the way the tab market us quicly shaking down going to take on webos. Its a dead os just like the tp. Just hope those great homebrew guys stay with it to keeo the existing tp alive for a while more.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    The Amazon Fire is only a 7 inch screen, not 10 like the Touchpad. It only has 8 gig of memory, not 16 or 32. It has no microphone. It has no camera. It is very very limited compared to the Touchpad.

As Bezos said, the Amazon Fire is not a tablet, it's a service. It is a crippled gizmo whose main purpose is to allow you to purchase eBooks, movies, songs, and videos from Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    And with the Kindle Fire, now you can shop at the various Amazon stores at 3:00 am while lying in your bed! Now that's convenience.
    You can do that with any device though I think the two things that will sell this device are the price and the hype -- at the end of the day, it's just another Android tablet, just with an Amazon skin on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Whats the point. The tp is DEAD -- d-e-a-d -- except for us who bought one for the price of pair of pants.
    While the touchpad is probably mostly dead, webOS might be still alive.

Amazon to Acquire Palm from HP? [Amazon Reportedly in Talks to Buy Palm From HP; Will the Kindle Fire Soon Run webOS?] | TFTS
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    You can do that with any device though I think the two things that will sell this device are the price and the hype -- at the end of the day, it's just another Android tablet, just with an Amazon skin on top.
    Maybe. The pundits are saying it is more like Amazon giving away razors while making a fortune selling razor blades. The point being that all the other Android tablet manufacturers are in deep trouble, since they have no razor blades to sell. I'm sure Amazon will also have a steady revenue stream with their $80 "all-you-can-eat" video streaming subscriptions.

And don't forget the Silk browser. This is turbocharged by leveraging Amazon's computing and storage cloud services. Other Android tablet manufacturers are at a disadvantage because they do not own such services.

The Kindle Fire is not a general purpose tablet, it is a stripped down device that comes out of the box with a UI channeling the end user straight to all of Amazon's money-making services.
    Steep likes this.
    And chances are that Amazon streaming will be available for any Android device soon. I'm not saying the Fire won't be a success -- it likely will, though not in iPad proportions -- just saying it doesn't do anything that you can't do with any other Android device. It's not special or revolutionary (as a matter of a fact, it's sub-par by tablet standards), it's just being marketed as being special and revolutionary. Which may be all it needs (see: iPad).
    The Amazon business plan for these tablets is rock solid. I see them making some nice coin off this one.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123