Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by llamabox View Post
    Please... who actually BUYS ebooks these days...
    Amazon sells more ebooks than actually books. I take NYC subway everyday, I see more people reading on ebook reader than actually book.
    ronlongo likes this.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think you are completely correct, nobody buys ebooks which is why Amazon added three ereaders yesterday because they just make those things for fun...

ronlongo and LinuxKoss like this.
    I doubt they are losing $50 a piece. A Samsung Galaxy Tab (Original) has $205 in parts. Remove 2 cameras, remove mic, remove cell antenna, and 16GB SD Card from the Tab then change the flash memory to 8GB and swap the processor for a dual core and you have a Fire basically. I doubt that between those omissions and 2 relatively minor upgrades that it would have $50 more parts.

Even if they are losing $50ish a pop they will not be losing money in the long term. The average person buying it will buy plenty of music, movies, apps, books, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Amazon sells more ebooks than actually books. I take NYC subway everyday, I see more people reading on ebook reader than actually book.
    I think he's referring to side-loading (or as some would put it, stealing) eBooks.

I buy 2 -3 eBooks per month from Apple and/or Amazon.
    Yes, I'm sure all of the people I see using Nooks, Kindles, etc. download pirated copies of books and would never imagine actually paying for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendzj View Post
    I think he's referring to side-loading (or as some would put it, stealing) eBooks.

I buy 2 -3 eBooks per month from Apple and/or Amazon.
    Oh my bad. Well I buy at least 1 ebook per month from Amazon. I never bought it from Apple, I think Amazon got the better price. But I do shop around from Nook, Kindle and ibook. Good thing my iPad has all the apps, hehe.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    The Amazon Fire is only a 7 inch screen, not 10 like the Touchpad. It only has 8 gig of memory, not 16 or 32. It has no microphone. It has no camera. It is very very limited compared to the Touchpad.

As Bezos said, the Amazon Fire is not a tablet, it's a service. It is a crippled gizmo whose main purpose is to allow you to purchase eBooks, movies, songs, and videos from Amazon.
    Is there going to be a 10" version of the Amazon Kindle Fire or not?
    I'm not about to go looking for it again, but I saw a "study" of torrent traffic a month or so back which said that e-books had the lowest percentage (something like 1-2%). I have the impression that your average Kindle/Nook consumer isn't the sort to loiter around the torrent sites.

I'd guess that Amazon has enough revenue paths that they can afford to drop a few bucks on market penetration in preparation for new and improved models priced with more profit in mind.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i wonder if you factor in the r&d cost into the price as well. from what i understand amazon basically used an already developed model, made a few alterations, slapped a new name on it and called it a day.
    I just tought I would add a few of my cents into the pot here.

A. We can sit here and discuss tablet specs all we want but I think the more interesting trend is the "cloud" experience. Apple is talking about it's "iCloud" and Amazon has it's cloud as well. Both groups can provide a variety of products through their cloud service and products (as well as your files and other goodies) stay in the cloud forever not clogging up your hard drive. I know one of my major headaches with having YET another device is the thought of having to load my files on it... sync them with my computer... and my cell phone, etc.

Companies have been trying to drive traffic to the cloud for a while now but I don't think it's really caught on with the average customer. If they can educate and provide a seamless, rich and easy customer service on their "cloud" services they might get customers to sign up for additional storage and that is a gift that keeps on giving.

I utilize Amazon's cloud for my phone, I also buy my android apps from Amazon as well and I like the idea of using the same service for a tablet.

Apple's icloud service sounded compelling with it's touted ability to sync automatically to other Apple devices but since I don't have an iphone or a mac and never want to... It really wouldn't help me.

As for "ebook" torrent traffic... I find that the majority of scanned ebooks have ALOT of errors in them, it's not exactly like ripping a DVD or CD... you have to really work at getting a good copy scanned and edited. I have given up on that idea. I have a scanner and any books I REALLY want on an ebook that aren't being offered I scan myself and do a page to page comparision. It's time consuming so I only do it for books that are rare and out of print.
    Ordered 8/21 835am SMB #44229XX PO# 0305552XX Shipped 10/8/2011
    Ordered 8/21 130am SMB #44029XX PO# 0305552XX Shipped 10/8/2011
    Only took 48 Days, 8 Hours, 3 Minutes, 0 Seconds to ship... but whose counting?
    HP had no "product/software" to sell with the tablet to allow a price reduction, amazon do, same deal for playstations/consoles, their sold at a hardware loss because theres the games/products to bring in the /$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Even if they are losing $50ish a pop they will not be losing money in the long term. The average person buying it will buy plenty of music, movies, apps, books, etc.
    that's the usual analysis with the kindle. Amazon sells it at a small loss to make it up in content sales.

I don't even know why people on here make it sound like it's such a crime that Amazon wants to use the device to sell stuff. Apple and similar companies wants to sell you apps and content just as badly. If it wasn't for the apps and content, people wouldn't be paying $600 for an ipad. The competition is good to keep prices down.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    OK
    Dual core seems to me slow is not a major issue speed does not equal performance

cameras and mics are cheap what do they cost $1.99 a per TP?

A 16gb microsd retail is around $15 so memory is not expensive

A redesigned TP could still be awesome and under 300

I suspect it could be sold at a profit for 225 to 250

people refuse to think out of the box on this

So add less than $30 in upgrades (wholesale prices) and you have a tp
    more mem
    camera mic
    larger screen
    From what I've read previously...the LCD and Screen and Storage are the most expensive items in the TouchPad. So instead of spending $100, drop that price in half using a smaller screen without the glitz features like Gorilla Glass. I don't really need 32gb of Storage, so that could also be slighted in half.

I don't think the OP is completely right and I can see the a newer and smaller TP coming in way less then $300 bones, but maybe their point was to reference Amazon making a stab into the market by taking a loss??? Don't know really, but it should be interesting! Sorli...
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    that's the usual analysis with the kindle. Amazon sells it at a small loss to make it up in content sales.

I don't even know why people on here make it sound like it's such a crime that Amazon wants to use the device to sell stuff. Apple and similar companies wants to sell you apps and content just as badly. If it wasn't for the apps and content, people wouldn't be paying $600 for an ipad. The competition is good to keep prices down.
    The beauty for Amazon is that it's not even content, it's good for them if you are using the kindle fire to buy Toilet roll and pet food from them. Seriously, how many sales are going to be driven by the fact that someone sitting on a sofa is going to think "gee I need to get little Jimmy a birthday present" and it's simply easier to click a couple of times on that tablet than fire up the internet and look around....
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post

I personally don't think anyone is making it sound like it's a crime. I hear people saying that Amazon is working from a different business model than HP. Amazon has built a device that more or less locks you into their ecosystem, tons of back end profits for services they are already providing.

Amazon has to build absolutely nothing new, they already have the marketplace setup, they are now providing you with a device that takes you away from all the choices you have sitting in front of a computer and plugs you directly into Amazon. It's freaking brilliant, especially with the current tablet craze.

For those of us over the age of 25 it would be like Sears or JC Penny being able to make sure they were the only mail order catalog you had access to. You don't have to shop from them, but they now become the most convenient option.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    My guess is that they are losing money up front on the actual device, but their plan is solid on making it back based on consumption sales
    Locked into an ecosystem..that's the words I was looking for. I always thought tablets were sold at a premium. Like popcorn at the Movie Theatre.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The beauty for Amazon is that it's not even content, it's good for them if you are using the kindle fire to buy Toilet roll and pet food from them. Seriously, how many sales are going to be driven by the fact that someone sitting on a sofa is going to think "gee I need to get little Jimmy a birthday present" and it's simply easier to click a couple of times on that tablet than fire up the internet and look around....
    Exactly!

My gut reaction is that Amazon is going to make a fortune from the Fire. NOT because it is a superior tablet, but because it neatly leverages all of Amazon's products and services. For example: how the Kindle Silk web browser uses Amazon's cloud computing and storage services to speed up the browser.

And there is another factor. Us cutting edge technology fans tend to forget about the concerns of the average joe-shmoe on the street.

If you give us a Touchpad, we can thing of all sorts of uses for it, and all sorts of apps we want. If you give it to joe-shmoe, they ask "What is this tablet thing for?" They feel overwhelmed.

Amazon caters to joe-shmoe and comes right out and tells them. You turn on the Fire, and boom! It says "Newsstand, Books, Music, Video, Docs, Apps, Web." Seven things to do with it, with the easiest to understand at #1. And each item ties directly into an Amazon store or service.

Why the Kindle Fire Succeeds Where Honeycomb Tablets Fail | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Locked into an ecosystem..that's the words I was looking for. I always thought tablets were sold at a premium. Like popcorn at the Movie Theatre.
    I fully expect someone to come up with a way to "jailbreak" the Amazon Fire
    before Christmas. (pretty fast, considering Amazon isn't expected to ship
    the Fire until mid-November)
    That would be awesome, Touchpadders can have it all. Fire, Android, WebOS.

Another reason I love the Touchpad. All the software come to IT. Truly multipurpose. All it has to do is sit and look pretty.

As to why someone would want a Kindle on their tablet? Hey, it's just one more thing to add to its resume!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast