Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By chunk9
  1.    #1  
    I webosdoctored my TP--restored it to factory default.

I'm new to online or cloud backup. Apparently, HP's backup of my TP only backs up the settings and information, not the actual applications themselves; which explains why the backups seem to happen so fast.

When I restored the backup to my TP, it knew the apps I had, and proceeded to download them ... ALL! Not good. I don't like that it needs to wifi download them all over again.

INTERESTINGLY, when an app is downloading from HP App Catalog, the ipk file is downloaded to /media/internal/downloads. It's then installed and the ipk file is removed automatically.

After the ipk file has downloaded completely, I found if I could quickly copy the ipk elsewhere, before it was installed and removed, I would have the actual install.

I tested this with the app Differences. It's a 90mb download, and takes sometime to install. After it downloaded and was installing, I copied the ipk file elsewhere, before it finished the install and removed the ipk file.

I tested installing the ipk file and sure enough everything looks good, as if I wifi downloaded and installed it.

If somebody knows how to automatically capture completed downloads of the ipk files in that directory, then I think we could have the installs.
    crucian4, pre101 and TPwebOS820 like this.
    Would have been to know for Brain Challenge by Gameloft. I paid for it and now it is no longer in the App Catalog. Maybe I should do this for all my apps. The way HP is going it might not be a bad idea to have backups of my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by chunk9 View Post
    I webosdoctored my TP--restored it to factory default.

I'm new to online or cloud backup. Apparently, HP's backup of my TP only backs up the settings and information, not the actual applications themselves; which explains why the backups seem to happen so fast.

When I restored the backup to my TP, it knew the apps I had, and proceeded to download them ... ALL! Not good. I don't like that it needs to wifi download them all over again.

INTERESTINGLY, when an app is downloading from HP App Catalog, the ipk file is downloaded to /media/internal/downloads. It's then installed and the ipk file is removed automatically.

After the ipk file has downloaded completely, I found if I could quickly copy the ipk elsewhere, before it was installed and removed, I would have the actual install.

I tested this with the app Differences. It's a 90mb download, and takes sometime to install. After it downloaded and was installing, I copied the ipk file elsewhere, before it finished the install and removed the ipk file.

I tested installing the ipk file and sure enough everything looks good, as if I wifi downloaded and installed it.

If somebody knows how to automatically capture completed downloads of the ipk files in that directory, then I think we could have the installs.
    I haven't tried this, and don't know if it works, but I think you can also use internalz and navigate to
    cryptofs>apps>usr>palm>applications , select an app folder and copy to /media/internal
    then copy that over to your PC and use
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-packager.html
    to back up your ipk
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Can't find that directory on a touchpad.

ALan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Found it. /media/cryptofs/apps and traverse below there to find what you want. I managed to extract and package the Kindle app.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    I haven't tried this, and don't know if it works, but I think you can also use internalz and navigate to
    cryptofs>apps>usr>palm>applications , select an app folder and copy to /media/internal
    then copy that over to your PC and use
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-packager.html
    to back up your ipk
    This will work - might have to turn on master mode in internalz first (be very careful not to delete anything or overwrite, it can and will cause serious issues for your TP).
    I did this last night so I could make some modifications to phnx and then install it back on the TP again
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    Would have been to know for Brain Challenge by Gameloft. I paid for it and now it is no longer in the App Catalog. Maybe I should do this for all my apps. The way HP is going it might not be a bad idea to have backups of my apps.
    exactly why I haven't buy an app yet. Scared a I can't reinstall when I don't have the install. Will have to try the crypto method.
    Quote Originally Posted by chunk9 View Post
    exactly why I haven't buy an app yet. Scared a I can't reinstall when I don't have the install. Will have to try the crypto method.
    In the couple of years I've been with webOS, I may have "lost" one or two apps, and I'm pretty sure that was because the minimum requirement was raised to 2.1 or greater (before I got my TouchPad)

This is hardly a reason to be scared to buy an app. I have well over 200 apps, and have doctored many times, for various reasons.