Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    This is a rant and a question in one...

How is it that there is no native video player on the TP. I mean really? I used a free one I found (cant remember the name) but it was horrible. Could not pause or something. It was just really bad. Then I used Kalemsoft media player but apparently that was just a trial version. Do you really have to pay for a program just to play videos you put on there yourself?

Are there any free (good) options out there?

Thanks for letting me rant!
    Regarding good free options: no.

There is a built in video player as part of the "Photos and Videos" applications, but it doesn't support most (read: anything other than mp4) videos.

Kalemsoft is worth every penny.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    You can always convert your movies to MP4 if you don't want to pay for Kalemsoft.
    I had no problem supporting webOS developers at the extremely cheap price I paid for my TouchPad. KalemSoft works well for me $7.99. SplashTop works well for me $4.99. TouchPlayer I haven't tried, from Preware, free.

I paid full price ($9.99) for SplashTop, and even though it was dropped in half, mere hours later, I still got my money's worth.

Or you can spend your own time, on your computer and convert files. It was easier for me just to pay for the app, and move on.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    You could install Preware and then install TouchPlayer, it plays AVI,MPG and such,
    but I have noticed some AVIs playing slow with it, so I dont think its using hardware
    acceleration, or at lest not as well as the KalemSoft Media Player is.
    does the OP know they you can play videos Directly from the Photo/Video app?
    Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    This is a rant and a question in one...

How is it that there is no native video player on the TP. I mean really? I used a free one I found (cant remember the name) but it was horrible. Could not pause or something. It was just really bad. Then I used Kalemsoft media player but apparently that was just a trial version. Do you really have to pay for a program just to play videos you put on there yourself?

Are there any free (good) options out there?

Thanks for letting me rant!
    As has been said, there is one built in. It supports MPEG-4, H.263, and H.264. Yes, that set is limited, but the last time that I checked, the iPad doesn't do any better out of the box:

The Complete Guide to iPad Video Formats | iPadinTouch

Handbrake (free) can convert most things to MP4. Other commercial players exist...and things like Splashtop open the world of video.

Seriously, you spent 99 beans and you are ranting? Send it my way and I will reimburse you.

cheers,
    Scuba
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    TouchPlayer works fairly well, but it's not perfect and the codec support is fairly limited.

I don't believe that there is ANY video player app for the TouchPad that uses hardware acceleration that (given the power of the GPU) would solve most of the lag issues.

General consensus seems to be that Kalemsoft is your best bet and as stated above, given the low price of the hardware, a few bucks for a useful app isn't a big deal, I've already bought quite a few that I'd otherwise have thought twice about.
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input!

I have virtually nothing in mp4. I guess I will go the paid route. :\
    One thing I can't figure out is why nothing will play in the right aspect ratio. HandBrake normal profile... everything is stretched. Tried forcing aspect ratios to no avail. TouchPlayer would work if I turned one of the options on, but it's so slow it's useless.

Is there a demo of Kalemsoft or something?
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    somehow I got a trial version of it because it worked for a while then one day it said I had to buy it. It was nice though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I had no problem supporting webOS developers at the extremely cheap price I paid for my TouchPad. KalemSoft works well for me $7.99. SplashTop works well for me $4.99. TouchPlayer I haven't tried, from Preware, free.

I paid full price ($9.99) for SplashTop, and even though it was dropped in half, mere hours later, I still got my money's worth.

Or you can spend your own time, on your computer and convert files. It was easier for me just to pay for the app, and move on.
    Has HP ever offered free promo codes for KalemSoft Media Player?
    If they do, the codes will all be used up within minutes of being
    released!

My crappy Samsung Galaxy S smartphones (I and II) and Android tablets
    can play 720p MKV/AVI/MP4 right out of the box.... I got so used to
    that and never realized that it was Samsung who pre-installed the video
    player.(not because it was running Android)

The only reason I'm not complaining is that I bought my Touchpads
    for $84 each from HP.com. If I paid $399 or $499, I'd probably be
    screaming bloody murder now. However, I'm now loving
    webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    One thing I can't figure out is why nothing will play in the right aspect ratio. HandBrake normal profile... everything is stretched. Tried forcing aspect ratios to no avail. TouchPlayer would work if I turned one of the options on, but it's so slow it's useless.

Yes there is a free demo at the Kalemsoft website. Google Kalemsoft and install it on your Touchpad from their website. That being said, the paid version is worth it. Plays all my avi and divx files really well.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post

Try this query in handbrake:
    Code:
    -f mp4 -w 1024 --loose-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 22 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 160 -D 2 -x bframes=0 --verbose=1
    Works flawlessly for all my videos so far, they all play in the native player in the correct aspect ratio.