Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Has anyone who has received either a refurbished or replacement HP Touchpad after their primary Touchpad had cracks experience any more issues regarding the cracks on their 2nd Touchpad?
  2. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazins71 View Post
    Has anyone who has received either a refurbished or replacement HP Touchpad after their primary Touchpad had cracks experience any more issues regarding the cracks on their 2nd Touchpad?
    I contacted HP when I found mine and was still in the window to exchange it at BestBuy so I went to another store and got one. Now less than a month later I have a new crack on the new one.

So I'd agree with others that it is a manufacturing/design defect. Just a matter of time until they get them. (and my new one has been in a case since I got it so that's not the issue)
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm just wondering if they are better made the 2nd time around..
    I think the issue was a bad batch, because the second one came from the same best buy and probably were built from the same parts.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the unit being installed into the plastic case. Because of the speaker hole and the thinness of the the plastic; if there is any stress on the plastic case, eventually it develops cracks. I got a crack at the left edge of the right speaker hole. It was cracked all the way through. It was even sticking up a bit. I did not want to send it to HP and end up with a remanned unit. I used a jewellers loupe and super glue and carefully glued it back. I had to hold it for a few minutes while the glue set. The small amount that leaked up through the top of the crack rubbed off pretty easily. I was left with a small visible white crack line. I just used a sharpie then quickly rubbed off the extra ink. I can still feel the crack but it's hard to see.
    I wasn't going to look because I keep reading about tiny defects that I didn't notice but now bug me every time I look at them I held off looking but eventually looked and sure enough I now see a small blemish (looks like a pea sized ding) by my bottom speaker. Argh! (no cracks though, knock on wood)

...aaaand now I have a crack
    Last edited by sm007h; 09/28/2011 at 06:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMelucci View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the unit being installed into the plastic case. Because of the speaker hole and the thinness of the the plastic; if there is any stress on the plastic case, eventually it develops cracks. I got a crack at the left edge of the right speaker hole. It was cracked all the way through. It was even sticking up a bit. I did not want to send it to HP and end up with a remanned unit. I used a jewellers loupe and super glue and carefully glued it back. I had to hold it for a few minutes while the glue set. The small amount that leaked up through the top of the crack rubbed off pretty easily. I was left with a small visible white crack line. I just used a sharpie then quickly rubbed off the extra ink. I can still feel the crack but it's hard to see.
    For future super glue repairs that you don't wan to hold while the glue sets use Zip Kicker. It accelerates the curing process. I got it at a model/hobby store years ago. Not sure where to find a hobby store these days though. Might have to order it on the web
    I got a crack on my TP before I ever had the case. Have had it repaired and I assume that it's the same unit (same serial number) and it is now in a case - so far so good.

The story of the chap who exchanged at BestBuy and then got a new crack was why I went through HP - seemed little point exchanging for another out of the batch likely to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazins71 View Post
    There is a post on webosroundup forums about cracks on replacement/repaired devices. I sent one of mine in and the supervisor I spoke to, after sending it in, stated that the shell has not been changed in any way whatsoever--the original agent told me otherwise but I think she simply did not understand my question.

The info was reaffirmed by corporate.

They gave me a free case since I complained that there is no doubt in my mind that the shell would crack again however, the HP case really doesn't look like it will do much to protect that particular area. Some cases will be better as they allow you to hold the device form the back easily and/or have hard plastic protection over the speaker area. The HP case is rubber thus has give to it and doesn't have any protection over the speaker area.