webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Google Docs useless - can't edit - REALLY!
Google Docs useless - can't edit - REALLY!
Like Tree3Likes

Old 09/27/2011, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

In Google Docs - you can't edit a document because you can't (practaly) scroll.

This is a wonderful link that sorta talks about it (from our forum site).

I'm trying to love my little orphaned gem but speed bumps like this just make me want to take it back to the orphanage.

Make sure you understand the problem, if you're looking at a GDoc that is in the share mode (read only), it scrolls just fine and dandy.

If you're working on your own doc (or a shared, editable doc), you simply can't scroll.

Each time you scroll, it begins to highlight your content and, and this will make you crazy, if you think you didn't 'grab' enough of the doc to to scroll down and try it again, you end up cutting and pasting your doc all to hell.

This happened to me last night in a meeting dominated with iPad users that laughed at me for bringing my TP.

Needless to say, I ended up folding my tent and doing markup on paper (you know, the flat white stuff made from wood pulp - remember...).

Sad really.
PF Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by BTJepson likes this.
Old 09/27/2011, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

would it work/scroll using the arrow keys via a bluetooth keyboard?
Pvster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

You should try using the built in support with Quickoffice. It integrates seamlessly with both google docs and dropbox, and lets you fully move around and edit docs and spreadsheets..
Divine_Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2011, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes you can scroll with google docs if you update to the the latest interface that Google has released. Scrolling has been functional for about two weeks now.
clayclay350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2011, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

To scroll just move to the edge of the screen and a scroll bar appears. Works fine. Not smooth, but still works.
DaddyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2011, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Yes, that works (in shared mode, at least). But ya, it's shakey. It is nice to be able to actually highlight and use keyboard shortcuts like ctrl+b for bold, etc.

But ya-- had the same experience this morning with a school group
Old 09/27/2011, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just use splashtop and all your problems are gone.
Old 09/27/2011, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
Entered the thread to say just this. Remote editing and uploading a doc while my laptop is at home is amazing. Next step is to get higher level and take the steps to signal my laptop to awake from hibernation when I connect remotely.
Bryan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2011, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
worked for a little while, very slow, hard to navigate, would randomly disconnect. then gives me a port blocked error and wont work again...definitely doesn't solve ALL problems, just creates different ones that may be solveable for other people depending on their situations
mistermojorizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2011, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
Yes you can scroll with google docs if you update to the the latest interface that Google has released. Scrolling has been functional for about two weeks now.
how do you do that?
mistermojorizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2011, 12:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
worked for a little while, very slow, hard to navigate, would randomly disconnect. then gives me a port blocked error and wont work again...definitely doesn't solve ALL problems, just creates different ones that may be solveable for other people depending on their situations
It works fine for me at work away from my computer. I know if you don't have a dual core processor it won't work as well. The developer states that in the app catalog.
Old 09/28/2011, 12:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
how do you do that?
Even if you use the newer version of google docs, its better, but still crappy. Its more frustrating than anything and if you are making a presentation, you'll be able to navigate, but people will be waiting on you. In fact sometimes the keyboard won't pop up after a while, even when you press on a letter.
Liked by PF Graham likes this.
Old 09/28/2011, 01:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

I can't even see my docs in Google, much less edit them. I thought it might be due to the docs being "private to only" me as a shared spreadsheet sent to me can be seen; then I see another shared doc that does not show up.

I bet I'm missing something, but don't know what.
toaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2011, 05:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
You should try using the built in support with Quickoffice. It integrates seamlessly with both google docs and dropbox, and lets you fully move around and edit docs and spreadsheets..
Then play the thrilling game of "What it crashed again and lost all my work?"

Quick office is simply too buggy in it's current state to trust...
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by PF Graham likes this.
Old 09/28/2011, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
Maybe you should complain to HP for having one terrible doc editor available for touchpad only.
I know - right!
Old 09/28/2011, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyMD View Post
To scroll just move to the edge of the screen and a scroll bar appears. Works fine. Not smooth, but still works.
Quote:
Look, I know most guys (and gals) on this site are true believers (including me!) but the repeated Goldberg-ian replys are sorta ridiculous.

Take a look at these guys working on how to get basic network connections to work on the TP. Really, nothing short of an amazing effort.

I think my favorite reply has to involve using a work around of a BT keyboard - HELLO - If I wanted to use a keyboard, heck, I guess I could use my desktop or, wait for it.... A LAPTOP. Crazy idea, I know but there it is.

I'm not mad at any of the people trying to help, I'm just mad at the whole situation we all find ourselves in - following a great OS (phone included) down a crappy hardware slope.

Maybe we should, as an install base, buy WebOS ourselves. One million users, paying $1000 each gets you to a billion. I'm sure we could get if for far less.

Group think PEOPLE!

OK, off the soap box, back to work for me....
Old 09/28/2011, 02:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
Look, I know most guys (and gals) on this site are true believers (including me!) but the repeated Goldberg-ian replys are sorta ridiculous.

Take a look at these guys working on how to get basic network connections to work on the TP. Really, nothing short of an amazing effort.

I think my favorite reply has to involve using a work around of a BT keyboard - HELLO - If I wanted to use a keyboard, heck, I guess I could use my desktop or, wait for it.... A LAPTOP. Crazy idea, I know but there it is.

I'm not mad at any of the people trying to help, I'm just mad at the whole situation we all find ourselves in - following a great OS (phone included) down a crappy hardware slope.

Maybe we should, as an install base, buy WebOS ourselves. One million users, paying $1000 each gets you to a billion. I'm sure we could get if for far less.

Group think PEOPLE!

OK, off the soap box, back to work for me....
So, not sure why you included me in your silly rant, but I gave you a viable solution, that requires no extra cost, effort, or external devices, and solves your issue. Yes, scrolling on things like google docs is blocked, as it is on many things. And until HP or somebody else makes a better browser, there is no solution at all. Yes it sucks, but it is the reality of our situation.

I am sorry that I did not have a magical fix, but in the future, please get off your soap box, and see that people are actually trying to present solutions, and that if you read them a nit more carefully, you wouldn't have a problem that you currently have...

/off my own soapbox
Old 09/28/2011, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
So, not sure why you included me in your silly rant, but I gave you a viable solution, that requires no extra cost, effort, or external devices, and solves your issue. Yes, scrolling on things like google docs is blocked, as it is on many things. And until HP or somebody else makes a better browser, there is no solution at all. Yes it sucks, but it is the reality of our situation.

I am sorry that I did not have a magical fix, but in the future, please get off your soap box, and see that people are actually trying to present solutions, and that if you read them a nit more carefully, you wouldn't have a problem that you currently have...

/off my own soapbox
come on man, I addressed everything you said in my reply - read it again please.

your solution was neither practical nor useful. The point is, there is NO document editing app that stands alone and doesn't require a bunch of stilts to make it work properly.

don't take offense, I'm just pointing out a group frustration.
Old 09/28/2011, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
come on man, I addressed everything you said in my reply - read it again please.

your solution was neither practical nor useful. The point is, there is NO document editing app that stands alone and doesn't require a bunch of stilts to make it work properly.

don't take offense, I'm just pointing out a group frustration.
Now I don't even know what you are talking about. How inthe world is using Quickoffice neither practical or useful? This one office suite, can not only manage google docs, but dropbox docs, in addition to local docs, all in the same place. If you are working on a google doc, and you save it.. Boom, google docs is updated. In no way is that a "stilt", and it works better than any web interface (again, since more than one account is usable at any time ).

Your reply addressed nothing I said, and it is obvious you haven't even tried Quickoffice for google docs work...
Old 09/30/2011, 02:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Um, I don't think it syncs when it decides to crash in the middle. Or if you have caps lock on and hold the backspace for a second. It's definitely not realistic if you need to do anything important with any time constraint.

Does it sync back to google docs when saved?
Edit: wow, it actually does. Right on for the tip!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by decalex; 10/01/2011 at 01:39 AM.
decalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0