1.    #1  
    Hi there. First post on here and looking for some assistance regarding WI-FI. I've searched on here and discovered that many people are having niggling issues but I can't find anyone having the same issue as me so I'll try a new thread.

I have a Netgear router with the wireless password in the WPA-PSK format. I've never had any issues with other items connecting and it should be pointed out that I have a Pre 2 that connects and works perfectly.

Now this is the issue. I tell the touchpad to connect to the router, it asks me for my 8 digit password, it accepts it and logs me on fine and I can connect to the internet with no issues. I come to the touchpad the next day and it wont connect. I ask it to connect to my network and it asks me to re-enter my password. This time the touchpad will ONLY accept 6 characters of my password. Obviously my router sees an incorrect password and wont allow the device access. I reboot my router, not the touchpad, and now the touchpad will allow me to enter all 8 characters and will connect again. Until the next day when the cycle starts again.

Now this is the important bit, I have TWO firesale touchpads that are doing the EXACT same thing! If the router was faulty or settings were incorrect I'd expect to see issues with other devices but as I say, I don't, the pre works fine. I'm confused, is this a webOS3 issue? A bug in the OS?

I hope I've worded this clearly enough to understand and any help or advice would be appreciated.
    What model of Netgear router? I'm assuming you've had it a while and not seen this issue with any other devices? What type of encryption are you using? If TKIP I strongly suggest going to AES. While I have no reason to believe this is the cause of your issue, I have every reason to hate TKIP due to all the headaches it caused me in the past, Kinda sounds like a driver issue in Touchpad WebOS but one shouldn't jump to conclusions or nearly always get it wrong.
  3.    #3  
    Hi. The router is about 3, possibly 4 years old and I've not had issues with any devices, computers, phones, games consoles etc have all been ok. It's a Netgear DG834GT and it says that currently only TKIP is supported. I also forgot to mention I've tried assigning them fixed IP addresses but it didn't make any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by amf123 View Post
    Hi. The router is about 3, possibly 4 years old and I've not had issues with any devices, computers, phones, games consoles etc have all been ok. It's a Netgear DG834GT and it says that currently only TKIP is supported. I also forgot to mention I've tried assigning them fixed IP addresses but it didn't make any difference.
    Ouch! I absolutely hate TKIP as I guess you can tell. What version of firmware are you running? Looks like the latest firmware version for the Netgear DG834GT is 1.03.23. Perhaps a firmware upgrade could help you.

I googled a bit and found a guy with a similar sounding problem that was fixed with a firmware upgrade. Below is a description of that issue. Sounds similar to me, what do you think?

"My laptop would connect successfully to the router but if I disconnect and re-connect, it wouldn't work. It behaves as if there's an authentication problem"
  6.    #6  
    Thats odd. I've looked into the firmware and as you say the website says the latest is 1.03.23 but when I look at my router it says I'm running 1.03.87. I think I may need to look a little deeper. I'm guessing I may have some sort of custom firmware as it was supplied by Sky. I'm reluctant to start tinkering just in case I break everything else LOL.
    Thats odd. I've looked into the firmware and as you say the website says the latest is 1.03.23 but when I look at my router it says I'm running 1.03.87. I think I may need to look a little deeper. I'm guessing I may have some sort of custom firmware as it was supplied by Sky. I'm reluctant to start tinkering just in case I break everything else LOL.
    If you are using the Sky broadband service, I'd be reluctant to mess with it to. If you google "DG834GT 1.03.87" you'll get a lot of interesting results including this article describing how to switch firmware. But like I said, I might not want to mess with it either. But I might be tempted to contact Sky and ask for an updated router. Honestly I believe that WEP and TKIP are widely considered obsolete and insecure.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah I've done a little reading too and I'm not going to mess with the firmware. Like you, I've found utilities that allow for replacing the firmware but they're all windows based. This means I'd have to run the update utility through parallels (i run OS X) and I've tried doing firmware updates this way before and it never works properly. So, if my problem is firmware based I'm going to have to live with it. I will speak to them for a replacement though, you never know.
    Yeah I've done a little reading too and I'm not going to mess with the firmware. Like you, I've found utilities that allow for replacing the firmware but they're all windows based. This means I'd have to run the update utility through parallels (i run OS X) and I've tried doing firmware updates this way before and it never works properly. So, if my problem is firmware based I'm going to have to live with it. I will speak to them for a replacement though, you never know.
    Of course I can't be sure the firmware is the cause of the issue you're having but in early googling seemed to be a candidate at least. Maybe try playing up the security aspect, that you were reading how you need AES with a strong password to secure your never and their router doesn't support it. Has the advantage of being true in my opinion. It's not hard to google up articles about how easy it is to hack WEP and TKIP, and find the tools to do it!
    Having said that, "washere" reported in this post in the thread "Wifi Issues on Touchpad?" that WEP worked for him. So although WEP is insecure, IMHO so is TKIP, and at least WEP was always stable for me. Might be worth at least an experimental try to see if it resolves the issue. Might confirm it's something related to TKIP and give you more ammunition to use with Sky.