Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    I think we can agree that the hardware nor webOS is to blame,....snip

snip...My point is (repeat) that webOS and the TouchPad could have made it without the firesale and with the right marketing mix, the right knowledge of the consumer market and trusted partners in their supply chain.
    Market Mix
    Knowledge of Consumer market
    Trusted partners in their supply chain

More than that was missing, however in you opinion, what makes up those three things?
    My point is (repeat) that webOS and the TouchPad could have made it without the firesale and with the right marketing mix, the right knowledge of the consumer market and trusted partners in their supply chain.
    There was a huge marketing campaign for the Touchpad. The reality is that sometimes a product just doesn't sell.

There was nothing about the Touchpad that would sway a buyer away from an iPad purchase outside of very small numbers of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Market Mix

More than that was missing, however in you opinion, what makes up those three things?
    What he missed the price. You are right (or RNLD,perhaps), there is no compelling reason to move from the iPad to the Touchpad at the same price point. Don't think that is a bad thing, it's just reality.

But too many people, including those at HP, were too proud to understand that when you are the upstart, you can't come in acting like the Alpha dog. With all else in place, if they had stated at whatever price they wanted and THEN cut it to even $200- $250 they would have sold a ton.

It's the same lesson that all of the others are going to learn the hard way (RIM will be next) once the Kindle Fire gets rolling. I don't know why everyone thinks that the vast majority are going to pay $600 plus for a single user media consumption device. Some will, but watch that market dry up until tablets become much more versatile.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Market Mix

I'm not sure what you're exactly asking me, but you surely picked the right keywords.
    Maybe Meg Whitman should answer your question.

Put HP as you know it next to... Amazon? Apple? Samsung, or even Microsoft?
    I mention those brands purely out of (consumer) emotion, but isn't that a result of their serious and thoroughly planned marketing game? That's where CEO's come in.

By the way, I didn't use my laptop all day, only the TouchPad. Scary!
  5.    #25  
    [QUOTE=rnld;3184942]There was a huge marketing campaign for the Touchpad./QUOTE]

The world is bigger than the US alone. HP didn't do more than adding a few extra languages to webOS and forgot the rest of the world. Their webOS products were almost unheard of here in Europe, until the firesale came...
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    Fresh thats nice and all but your theory about bestbuy making the firesale happen is pretty off.

HP.com was the first with the price change and retailers changed accordingly. Best Buy was one of the LAST to update their prices to the firesale prices. In fact they even had a notice saying they wouldn't be selling at the firesale prices going into the weekend. And late saturday they changed their mind. Meanwhile the firesale was happening everywhere else while best buy was making up its mind. Hardly the way you described it..

Nice try tho.
    The fire sale started in Canada. I knew it would just be a matter
    of hours before it spread to USA so I started checking stores. I checked with Best Buys within hours after the Canada sale hit USA. I was told that first morning by a Best Buys that TPs would not be available because they were all sent back. Just to be sure I called another Best Buys and got same answer. Best Buys was one of the last retailers to join in with the sale and it was hours after I had bought mine.
    taxi likes this.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    What he missed the price. You are right (or RNLD,perhaps), there is no compelling reason to move from the iPad to the Touchpad at the same price point. Don't think that is a bad thing, it's just reality.

But too many people, including those at HP, were too proud to understand that when you are the upstart, you can't come in acting like the Alpha dog. With all else in place, if they had stated at whatever price they wanted and THEN cut it to even $200- $250 they would have sold a ton.

It's the same lesson that all of the others are going to learn the hard way (RIM will be next) once the Kindle Fire gets rolling. I don't know why everyone thinks that the vast majority are going to pay $600 plus for a single user media consumption device. Some will, but watch that market dry up until tablets become much more versatile.
    I agree!
    As much I hate to say it, I'd love to get a 99$ Playbook in my hands to play with. None of the big players in the market have crap technology, they can't afford that and tablets are no longer just toys, that's where the market is moving, away from laptops.

If (a real) Blackberry Playbook fire sale would start tomorrow, half of these webOS forums will be deserted and eBay is swamped with used TouchPads.
    It's all about marketing and emotion and consumerism. Wanting something new, something that does it all, something that's worth my money, something that satisfies and gives us a good time. Some of us tend to even write reviews about specific pros and cons (the odd 'how does it compare to iPad story').

But I have my TouchPad now and I'm happy with what it does. My house market is saturated in marketing terms. :-)

Gee, I need an HP Bluetooth keyboard for TouchPad!
    Last edited by Fresh; 09/29/2011 at 06:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Yea the keyboard is sweeeeeeet lol :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by picassokat View Post
    The fire sale started in Canada. I knew it would just be a matter
    of hours before it spread to USA so I started checking stores. I checked with Best Buys within hours after the Canada sale hit USA. I was told that first morning by a Best Buys that TPs would not be available because they were all sent back. Just to be sure I called another Best Buys and got same answer. Best Buys was one of the last retailers to join in with the sale and it was hours after I had bought mine.
    That's very true.
    In the end however, Best Buy was the only party that shipped my TouchPad to Europe during the firesale. Shipped from the US!

HP.com and Onsale.com refused to process my orders. Too scared for whatever reason.

Now call that knowledge of the consumer market by Best Buy!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    Yea the keyboard is sweeeeeeet lol :-)
    I don't want to make this look like a review, but typing serious stuff on any tablet is still a challenge.
    I guess you do have the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    HP.com and Onsale.com refused to process my orders. Too scared for whatever reason.
    HP.com was overloaded. Heck, their servers couldn't even handle the load when just their employees went at it full force on the 28th.

And yes, you are making out BB to be far better than they are. Their only effect on HP was to tell them they wanted to ship back all their stock. That's it. And that was BB's plan during the fire sale until late Saturday when they finally folded to massive consumer demand that they sell their stock like everyone else instead of shipping it back to HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post

Isn't this exactly what happened?
    you'll see win8 on another HP tablet before you see webOS on anything new
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    HP.com was overloaded. Heck, their servers couldn't even handle the load when just their employees went at it full force on the 28th.

And yes, you are making out BB to be far better than they are. Their only effect on HP was to tell them they wanted to ship back all their stock. That's it. And that was BB's plan during the fire sale until late Saturday when they finally folded to massive consumer demand that they sell their stock like everyone else instead of shipping it back to HP.
    There was no option for Best Buy to have the TP's shipped back to HP. Best Buy received the TouchPads directly from China and HP never saw them. HP could never have taken Best Buy's stock back simply because HP doesn't have the facilities (in the US). Even wanting to do so, destroying them would have been more expensive than making the firesale deal with BB. HP was hit in the heart by not being able to deal with resellers and not being capable of dealing with consumers. HP chose the TP firesale to keep a good relationship with resellers like BB to secure future sales of other HP products through them.
    Last edited by Fresh; 10/01/2011 at 06:58 PM.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank! View Post
    This might well happen. HP is deciding right now about their future course; business and/or consumer market. Win 8 on HP hardware all depends on the needs for the targeted audience for HP (business and/or consumer).
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I don't want to make this look like a review, but typing serious stuff on any tablet is still a challenge.
    I guess you do have the keyboard.
    I sure do as well as the transformer and dock :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Knowing now what we do about HPs strategy to get out of the consumer marker I don't believe that best Buy wanted to return TPs due to bad sales.

That never sounded very credible to me. Disappointing sales would have led to renegotiating of payment terms, or guarantees by HP and/or more ads and promotions.

I believe that Best Buy got wind of the impending strategy change and got annoyed that HP would pull a stunt like this right after they made deals with Best Buy about selling the TP.

Think about it. First rumors about Best Buy being ****ed, then suddenly HPs surprise announcement, that looked badly prepared and rushed and with many of their own managers not knowing what's going on.

It seems obvious to me that Leo wasn't ready to announce the new strategy - but was forced by a leak to do so.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Hi, I'm Sam and I'm a webOS addict. My problem with webOS started back in 2010 with my Palm Pre Plus. Then I got my wife and daughter hooked as well. I can't stop and need help bad.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I can definately understand people wanting and wishing all the webOS devices to release. But i just can't understand why people want webOS on their PC with Windows. I couldn't understand it when HP first announced the plan and I still don't understand people want it after Microsoft new Windows 8. Unbelievable.
    Windows 8 is likely to be yet another buggy, ever growing, resource hog that carries forward again all the baggage of Windows XX, growing in size and still not user friendly. A decent desktop as an overlay on the most basic functions of Windows is one way to extend it's (hopefully) short remaining life as a dominant OS.

Palm, WebOS, Droid & IOS have already shown we don't need fat clients anymore - Windows is now a dinosaur legacy system that should be put out of it's misery. Heck, over 1/2 of the business world hasn't even migrated to Win7 (and wisely avoided Vista) so why would they rush to Win8? It is a dying OS for a dying platform (PC's, laptops & Netbooks) that are rapidly being replaced by Tablets, Smartphones & the Cloud. I won't miss it.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank! View Post
    Not on any real estate I own! First I'll never buy another HP item of any type unless they make another 180 & re-introduce & fully support WebOS. Second Win8 is a nightmare. Why learn that whole new system when far better options are out there to learn & get real benefits from?
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast