1.    #1  
    Hi everyone just want some advice - I bought a HP Touchpad in the US in August and returned to the UK a few weeks later. I charged by using UK plug with USB attached & it worked well - I used it until it needed charging again.. once -Now when I plug in to charge it it switches on the lights at the front switch flashes for about 5 minutes the screen shows the battery power and the red power level just doesnt increase from about a quarter. Then even if I leave it in for a couple of hours it doesnt charge and after 1 attempt of switching it on - it dies and wont come on at all. (It does come on saying please charge with the cable it came with before it dies)- which i do except for the black twisty barrel bit. - I separate the USB and plug that into UK usb plug - Is it faulty? Do I need to buy a special plug for use in UK -i have used my laptop/phone camera etc with this usb plug before with no problems. Thanks for any messages of advice.
    I had problems with charging the TouchPad. It worked for first few charges, but stopped charging after that. I replaced the USB cable and it's back to charging again.
    Quote Originally Posted by cchomv View Post
    I had problems with charging the TouchPad. It worked for first few charges, but stopped charging after that. I replaced the USB cable and it's back to charging again.
    Check to make sure the end of your charging cable, the large round part that plugs into the electrical socket is together proper. I don't mean the cable to the plug, I mean the actual plug. HP made the very end of the plug removable (twist off) so you can change plug ends for Europe/US style adapters. Mine was actually half way twisted and I was getting no power until I stumbled across this. A simple twist into place was all it took.

Hope this is your problem.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wingcutter View Post
    Check to make sure the end of your charging cable, the large round part that plugs into the electrical socket is together proper. I don't mean the cable to the plug, I mean the actual plug. HP made the very end of the plug removable (twist off) so you can change plug ends for Europe/US style adapters. Mine was actually half way twisted and I was getting no power until I stumbled across this. A simple twist into place was all it took.

Hope this is your problem.
    I am not using the end of the plug the removable part as that has the US socket plug so i disconnected the usb & put it into UK plug that the usb plugs into - I will look into buying a new USB cable - as I know the plug & socket itself works as i have charged my phone / laptop with it - I just dont think the HP is actually getting enough power as it seems to light up switch on for a few mins then dies & wondered if it was the fact that it doesnt have that black twisty US barrel plug is affecting it in any way - it just isnt storing any charge. I also wondered if the USB plug on the HP is faulty and if so where would i take it Its brand new but I bought it in the US & not sure where here in UK would fix/replace that connection. Thanks for replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyarima View Post
    I am not using the end of the plug the removable part as that has the US socket plug so i disconnected the usb & put it into UK plug that the usb plugs into - I will look into buying a new USB cable - as I know the plug & socket itself works as i have charged my phone / laptop with it - I just dont think the HP is actually getting enough power as it seems to light up switch on for a few mins then dies & wondered if it was the fact that it doesnt have that black twisty US barrel plug is affecting it in any way - it just isnt storing any charge. I also wondered if the USB plug on the HP is faulty and if so where would i take it Its brand new but I bought it in the US & not sure where here in UK would fix/replace that connection. Thanks for replies.
    You cannot charge the Touchpad with a regular USB charging adapter. It doesn't provide enough voltage. This is why you are getting the message about using the original cable. You will need to get an adapter for the included HP USB charging adapter, or find a USB charging adapter with the same output voltage.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by naplesbill View Post
    You cannot charge the Touchpad with a regular USB charging adapter. It doesn't provide enough voltage. This is why you are getting the message about using the original cable. You will need to get an adapter for the included HP USB charging adapter, or find a USB charging adapter with the same output voltage.
    Ah thats what I wanted to know - so if i take that - the cable with the twisty barrel thingy to somewheres like PC world? would they have one or should i try online - what exactly should i ask for? I sort of guessed that but wasnt sure thanks again
    Ah thats what I wanted to know - so if i take that - the cable with the twisty barrel thingy to somewheres like PC world? would they have one or should i try online - what exactly should i ask for? I sort of guessed that but wasnt sure thanks again
    Somebody should be able to help you. It needs to provide 5.3V and 2A.
    PCWorld were selling HP Touchpad adaptors for 10 including shipping.They include all "ends" for UK, USA, Europe etc.

None in at moment, but what you want is here: hp touchpad online here at PC World

If really stuck, this will do the job but takes longer than the HP one: Ebay item 330604793692

Finally, nobody seems to sell the ends on their own. Unless someone knows different?
    Last edited by Gollom; 09/27/2011 at 03:52 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollom View Post
    PCWorld were selling HP Touchpad adaptors for 10 including shipping.They include all "ends" for UK, USA, Europe etc.

None in at moment, but what you want is here: hp touchpad online here at PC World

If really stuck, this will do the job but takes longer than the HP one: Ebay item 330604793692

Finally, nobody seems to sell the ends on their own. Unless someone knows different?
    Gollum that is brilliant - thats exactly what I wanted to know - i had an idea that that may be the problem as it was charging but just didnt seem to hold it yet it was telling me to use the charger it came with - thanks will check out those places - thanks sooo much! Am off tomorrow to see if i can solve & will post when done Thanks again!
  10.    #10  
    Went to PC world they dont have any - the tech guy said I should try TESCO as all I needed to buy was a 2A USB plug so I got one for 9. and my HP is still saying the same thing as before - I think 1. either my HP is faulty or I need the proper charger with the barrel thingy plug as that somehow works!
    Went to PC world they dont have any - the tech guy said I should try TESCO as all I needed to buy was a 2A USB plug so I got one for 9. and my HP is still saying the same thing as before - I think 1. either my HP is faulty or I need the proper charger with the barrel thingy plug as that somehow works!
    Again, it has to be both 2amp and 5.3volts. The touchpad requires more voltage compared to other mobile devices. The person at the store must have assumed it had the usual requirements and didn't know.

For example, I can't use my pre+ chargers due to providing less, also the touchpad can not charge using your computers usb port.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks - on the case!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Why not just get one of these & plug the HP plug into it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-G...bosnation0e-20
    I have to agree and say why not just get a plug adapter - cheaper and easier and must be available in any hardware or computer store
  15.    #15  
    just to say bought touchstone at Argos for 39 and success at last thanks for all advice