Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Semma2
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to gather people's thoughts on streaming media to your Touchpad. I can think of three solutions (Orb, PogoPlug, and SplashTop), but there are probably a lot more.

I got a good deal on a PogoPlug Pro from a CNet Cheapskate promotion. Before it shipped to me, I found out about Orb and it works well. Yesterday, I picked up Splashtop and it also looks like it would do the trick (though I only tested it over the LAN).

I have a HTPC that I keep on and active all the time. I think the Pogoplug would work even when it is off, but that feature is wasted in my set-up.

Obviously Splashtop does a lot more than just streaming media. I thought it was worth putting in the discussion at the last minute because it does seem capable.

Anyone got any pros and cons of going with one solution vs. another?
    Although I'm sure there's a good explanation why, I cannot stream well at all through Splashtop while Orb does very well. With HD videos Orb has to rebuffer occasionally. Splashtop doesn't rebuffer; it just plays jerkily with sound out of sync. My situation is atypical in that my home desktop is not Ethernet wired but runs off our home wifi. Given that I'm still not exactly sure why Orb works so well and Splashtop is a big fail for streaming (works fine for other uses).
  3.    #3  
    How are you connected to Splashtop. I think if you are connected via the LAN rather than through the Internet it makes a big difference.
    For me, what worked was
    Orb as a free solution. its great, but you do compromise in quality but you have access to all your media, home files, music, video, camera tv card and so on

and the other is paid solution by Kalemsoft
    That works well!. I prefer the paid solution as it just better. I have both, incase something does nto work, so I can fall back to Orb.

I also have splashtop, it works,

Local network everything is perfect no issue. but if you are on a slow connection or tethering or anything like that, you will run into various issues as you are limited on connectivity

Basically,
    splashtop for Remote desktop and checking other things
    kalemsoft for media streaming
    Orb backup streamer and file grabber
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    How are you connected to Splashtop. I think if you are connected via the LAN rather than through the Internet it makes a big difference.
    Being in the LAN makes a difference, but even so the video streaming is jerky and not synced with Splashtop. And the same is true when I try and stream my home computer through my work PC, both through Orb and Splashtop; Orb works better. The frustrating thing is the resolution is better with the Splashtop, but the stuttering and jerkiness kill the utility. It HAS to be the fact that my home computer is on wifi and not on an Ethernet cable. Could check it out if I had a 75 foot ethernet cable, which I don't.
  6.    #6  
    snowwhitie, I didn't even think of Kalemsoft as a solution. I'll have to look into that.

davidra, plugging in the computer via Ethernet is probably very helpful. The computer that I'm accessing is specifically put near my cable Internet connection for maximum speed.
    I'd say its a match between Kalemsoft and Splashtop. All of my stuff is in 720p MKV format, so for that, Splashtop.
    I'm going to put my 2 cents in and suggest maybe not going the streaming route. The quality just isn't as good as it would be if it was on the touchpad itself. The setup I use and like alot right now is I keep all of my content on my pogoplug device, when I want to watch a movie I just go to my pogoplugs website where all my stuff is and just download and watch it with kalemsoft player. It only takes a few minutes to download and looks excellent. Wish pogoplug had an app so navigation of my stuff would be easier but it's not to bad. I'm just throwing this info out there as an alternative to streaming. Maybe it will help someone
    I should also add that since your htpc is always on you can make that a pogplug device by buying and installing the software. Pogoplug allows you to do alot of really cool things easily.
    splashtop has been streaming perfectly from my home desktop. Audio is slightly out of sync when I connect to my work PC however.

I also stream with PlayOn
    with kalemsoft or orb can you access hulu, Netflix and YouTube? Or anything on the internet?
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    yes, netflix worked really well with splashtop for me.
  13.    #13  
    yourdiyguy,

Thanks for the tip on using the Pogoplug software to download the media to my TouchPad for later watching. I think that is probably by far my best solution.

I can download it when power is convenient (i.e. I'm plugged in) and then shut off wi-fi to maximize battery use when I'm watching the movie. Streaming video over the Internet would drain a good amount of battery, I imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    yourdiyguy,

Thanks for the tip on using the Pogoplug software to download the media to my TouchPad for later watching. I think that is probably by far my best solution.

I can download it when power is convenient (i.e. I'm plugged in) and then shut off wi-fi to maximize battery use when I'm watching the movie. Streaming video over the Internet would drain a good amount of battery, I imagine.
    Here is how I got it to work. It works great! Use your favorite transcode program. I used VideoRedo TVsuite with my Beyond TV files.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3188827
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The TVersity media server also works with the Flash client on the TouchPad. See thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...streaming.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    The TVersity media server also works with the Flash client on the TouchPad. See thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...streaming.html
    Pugoplug is using the built-in video player. Playback is flawless on local network. I saw in TVersity thread where they could use built-in player as well.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lschroeder1947 View Post
    Pugoplug is using the built-in video player. Playback is flawless on local network. I saw in TVersity thread where they could use built-in player as well.
    Yes, if your video is in MP4 format.
    lschroeder1947 likes this.
    Is anyone having any trouble now with PogoPlug? It used to work flawlessly, but with a few recent updates to the pogoplug web interface, it now thinks the HP Browser is unsupported and it won't stream anything to my HP Touchpad.

Is anyone else still able to stream?
    Tried pogoplug for the first time tonight. It said webOS browser was not supported and firefox ubuntu browser was also not supported. I then tried Chrome in ubuntu and it said share no longer available. Not sure what to do next with the Chrome issue.

Did you try changing the user agent for webOS browser to something else to see if pogoplug would support it?

Edit: pogoplog now works in browser using firefox ubuntu as change agent
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/07/2012 at 02:52 AM.
    I'd like to shamelessly plug Subsonic here

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: