1.    #1  
    I have a 32gb Touchpad & have installed lots of games/apps & also downloaded many ebooks onto it but I don't exactly know how much storage I technically have.

I mean, how do I know if I've added too many things? I think my Touchpad seems slower at times & I wonder if it could be because I used all the free space on my device. How can I tell?

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Go to "device info" under the settings tab to see how much free space you have. I'm pretty sure as long as you have just a few hundred megs free that shouldn't affect your speed too much. I usually restart my TP once a day and it's speed has stayed consistently zippy. Also it helps a lot to truely close apps rather than just flicking them away. If you pull them down in card view they'll fly up and away freeing up any memory they were using.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Pulling down only works in one orientation and is an Angry Birds easter egg, it's really no different to simply flicking cards up and away I think.
    Pulling down works in any orientation. You only get the Angry Birds sound when the device is in upside-down landscape orientation--that is the easter egg. But yes, pulling down is the same as flicking up.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    As bable said, there have been reports of flicking the cards off the screen does not fully free up resources but that "slingshoting" the cards off fully closes the app and releases resources (closes opened processes).

Quote Originally Posted by xexeri View Post
    I have a 32gb Touchpad & have installed lots of games/apps & also downloaded many ebooks onto it but I don't exactly know how much storage I technically have.

I mean, how do I know if I've added too many things? I think my Touchpad seems slower at times & I wonder if it could be because I used all the free space on my device. How can I tell?

Unless you have installed a lot of media (music and videos), I doubt you are close to your 32 gigs. I have 24 gigs free, and I have loaded a little bit of media (mp3s), and some downloaded youtube videos from my webOS phones. I have a ton of apps though (2 years of webOS ownership and I bought a ton of TouchPad specific apps since I have had it).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Pulling down works in any orientation. You only get the Angry Birds sound when the device is in upside-down landscape orientation--that is the easter egg. But yes, pulling down is the same as flicking up.

You're absolutely right about the orientation, sorry, had a blonde moment there
    I also installed jstop from preware and set it to do automatic garbage collection without notification which should help to keep memory usage cleaned up. Don't know if it really does but makes me FEEL like it does so I'm happy,
  8.    #8  
    Thanx everyone....yes restarting returns normal speed & such.
    Device info says I have 28.5GB free so I guess I'm ok.
    I also noticed the browser prefs,,,I haven't cleared cache & history but now its smooth again. Thanx everyone <3
  9.    #9  
    oh & thanx for Angry birds tip,,,,I didn't know about that :-)
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I believe system Memory (1GB) and Storage (16GB or 32GB) are being confused.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I believe system Memory (1GB) and Storage (16GB or 32GB) are being confused.
    Noseph, where does the app/games that we install gets stored into? System memory or storage memory?
    I will be getting my touchpad tommorow and I am planning to load it with lot of apps, thats why I am curious to know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovleshgarg89 View Post
    Noseph, where does the app/games that we install gets stored into? System memory or storage memory?
    I will be getting my touchpad tommorow and I am planning to load it with lot of apps, thats why I am curious to know this.
    The 1 gig is your RAM (used to load and run applications)

The storage memory is where everything is installed/saved/etc
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts

Installed apps are stored in storage (16GB or 32GB). Running apps are copied to memory (1GB) when launched and removed from memory when closed. Apps that are poorly coded may not release all the memory they used. This is called a memory leak. Over time memory leaks can accumulate until you have very little memory left which causes the too many cards (tmc) error from time to time. Rebooting clears your memory which is why you should do it once a day.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    So to clarify/confirm:

a) Flicking an app/window up does NOT close it/release the memory, BUT

b) Doing the drag down/Slingshot DOES, regardless of orientation.

Right?
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    So to clarify/confirm:

a) Flicking an app/window up does NOT close it/release the memory, BUT

b) Doing the drag down/Slingshot DOES, regardless of orientation.

Right?
    a) Flicking an app up does close it, it may or may not release the memory

b) The slingshot action does appear to release the associated memory

The only example I know of that seems to bear-out these actions are the mail app. If you open the Mail app and then close it with the flip up action, the next time you open the Mail app it is almost instantaneous. If you slingshot close it it takes a few seconds to launch the next time.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Nothing will release memory leaks unless you reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Nothing will release memory leaks unless you reboot.
    Yep, we're getting issues confused here.

To clarify for everyone, system apps (such as email, calendar, etc) do not close when you flick them up - they still reside in memory. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $was$ $done$ $to$ $improve$ $load$ $times$, $and$ $is$ $not$ $a$ $memory$ $leak$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $if$ $app$ $developers$ $could$ $incorporate$ $this$ $behavior$ $into$ $their$ $apps$. $Also$, $I$ $have$ $seen$ $someone$ $post$ $that$ $system$ $apps$ $include$ $all$ $preloaded$ $apps$.

You can test this by restarting your TouchPad, then opening an app (note the load time), flick it up, then open it again. It should load significantly quicker. Slingshot it, then open it again and the load time should be longer. Note that the restart is just to ensure you are starting with a clean slate, it does not have to be done for each app you want to test.
    Last edited by MobileBill23; 09/29/2011 at 06:34 PM.