Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    post away.

will update mine once I decide how I'm going to do it so looking for idea's
    sorli likes this.
    Mine sits pretty well on the steering column, it's out of sight, ($172 fine for distracted driving here). There are various mounts you can buy, either drill into the floor, or clamp on to passenger seat mount. If I had a more interesting (330km straight N-S...660 return) trip, I might not take it with me, but as it is..it's a 4 lane divided highway, and not much traffic after midnight. Having 20GB of music on hand is a nice change from my Pre-.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Post your city too so I'll know to stay off the sidewalks there What a horrifying idea...
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Actually, what the heck is different from having a TouchPad in your car compared to having a car stereo or big gulp sitting between your legs. I think this is a great idea and I'd rather have a mounting option in my car making it easier to use when traveling.

Actually, many of us no longer use laptops now that we have TouchPads and only thing I'm missing is GPS and a Cell Modem. Then you would really have problems on the sidewalk. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Actually, what the heck is different from having a TouchPad in your car compared to having a car stereo or big gulp sitting between your legs. I think this is a great idea and I'd rather have a mounting option in my car making it easier to use when traveling.

Actually, many of us no longer use laptops now that we have TouchPads and only thing I'm missing is GPS and a Cell Modem. Then you would really have problems on the sidewalk. Sorli...
    I was a Human Concepts in Tech major and did a ****load of studies on it(free driving simulator thanks to CSU!). It's a big difference, almost 300 percent lower reaction time during interaction with devices you're used too(6 seconds to stop while texting on a keyboard you don't have to look at vs 2 seconds without which can easily be a difference of 10 feet when you're doing 40) which for a kid in usually empty crosswalk at night is very important. Granted, the kid should be able to dodge your car and if not he will be "naturally selected", but if we ignore natural selection everywhere else in society(I hate school zones for genetic reasons) why not ignore it here Cellphones beat hot coffee as the #1 assumed cause of wrecks in 2003 I think, it was a while ago.
    That said, when I was a pizza delivery driver I'd always be texting while eating breadsticks with the sauce balanced on my leg as I drove crazily through suburbia
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    While safety while driving is important, the ethics of what is right and wrong is not the point of this thread. Of course attitudes, and laws change, but I found a little dark humor in the fact it was "perfectly acceptable" to mount a Palm Pre (or any other phone for that matter) as seen here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ures-here.html

Driving big trucks, I see inside passing vehicles. I see you secretly texting between your legs, I see you texting openly with your phone right above your steering wheels, I see you watching movies on your DVD players, playing with your built in GPS/stereo/information centers, talking on your phones.

It's much easier using Music Player Remix on the big screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    I was a Human Concepts in Tech major and did a ****load of studies on it(free driving simulator thanks to CSU!). It's a big difference, almost 300 percent lower reaction time during interaction with devices you're used too(6 seconds to stop while texting on a keyboard you don't have to look at vs 2 seconds without which can easily be a difference of 10 feet when you're doing 40) which for a kid in usually empty crosswalk at night is very important. Granted, the kid should be able to dodge your car and if not he will be "naturally selected", but if we ignore natural selection everywhere else in society(I hate school zones for genetic reasons) why not ignore it here Cellphones beat hot coffee as the #1 assumed cause of wrecks in 2003 I think, it was a while ago.
    That said, when I was a pizza delivery driver I'd always be texting while eating breadsticks with the sauce balanced on my leg as I drove crazily through suburbia
    I'm sure you make a good point and appreciate your perspective...honest!

TouchPad's, Smartphones, and otherwise can be used wisely while on the road. Just because they are in the car doesn't mean they have to be used when driving. Many of us have common sense and use our webOS devices before hitting the road and even in line at the red light and simply waiting in traffic. Not everything in a car has to be unsafe and I'm looking forward to when driving become so unsafe that no one besides law enforcement will have radios, cell phones, and computers in the vehicles. Actually, no one is perfect (I have a friend who is a sheriff deputy and hit someone by mistake using his computer while traveling), but the rules only relate to us and not them (he simply lost driving privileges as deputy for two month).

We could go all day pointing out the pluses and minuses of both equations and yes let's get back to the original subject. Sorli...
    Where's the pictures?
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Like I said, it's dangerous but I don't let that stop me If you have a notebook style case and a GMC Safari or luxury cab car it's insanely easy to mount a TP. My screen is filthy but I'm pretty lazy so... The first pic is on top of the cup holders with the case in it's triangle stand and with the plastic lip it's much more stable than on a regular table. The second is with the case flap through the top of the steering wheel which was also awesomely stable although I don't recommend it if you use your horn a lot(may be my new texting setup). I did a third with it hanging from the sun visor and while it was the best angle for extended viewing it was also suicidal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sorli likes this.
    Ah I get it....the old "pot calling the kettle black" routine

I find it funny how it's illegal for ROTW, but put on a badge and gun and it's ok(police and their mounted laptops).

Now kindly post your city, so I can stay off your sidewalks
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Ah I get it....the old "pot calling the kettle black" routine

I find it funny how it's illegal for ROTW, but put on a badge and gun and it's ok(police and their mounted laptops).

Now kindly post your city, so I can stay off your sidewalks
    I think the PC term for old kitchen equipment is "cast-iron" these days.

And touche I did want safety over privacy, Fort Collins Colorado but I travel a lot so I could be anywhere...
    sledge007 likes this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    People considering mounting a touchpad to their steering wheel might want to check where their airbag is in their car....
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    People considering mounting a touchpad to their steering wheel might want to check where their airbag is in their car....
    Your damn right and stay away from me on the road lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    I can understand where some people are talking about safety. But, realistically, safety starts with the driver. There are so many potential distractions while driving. If you can't make the proper determinations about priority, no laws, car stereos, MP3 players, or even passengers are going to change anything for you. If you are not able to keep your attention where it belongs, don't drive.

The only way to have a distraction free driving environment would mean no passengers, no radio, no ability to change lanes or turn, etc. It is obvious that this is just not going to happen. Common sense is the only way to go. Nothing is so important it can't wait until you are stopped.

With that said, I would never recommend mounting anything on the steering wheel. It will become nothing more than a projectile in an accident. Mounting either in or firmly attached to the dash would be the best bet. I have some ideas about where I could mount my TP in my truck, but I just haven't had the time to mess with it yet.
    Funny!

Person hit up the backside by another car, then smashed in face by high speed pneumatic Touchpad!!

LOL!

Adds a new meaning to 'Multi-Touch' I suppose!

blackfireball5 likes this.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The world's first face-activated tablet!*

* Note: Can only be activated once this way.
    They just prefer to get big chunk of tough gorilla glass flying at high velocity right in their face.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    I think we should let the people at the Darwin Awards know about bable.

Bable: do you have any children by any chance?

The Darwin Awards
    Shifty likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    I think we should let the people at the Darwin Awards know about bable.

Bable: do you have any children by any chance?

The Darwin Awards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shifty likes this.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Ther distraction issue is certainly real. Even using my Pre- with the built-in BT in my car for hands-free operation, your brain is still engaged in the conversation. I've had those "how-did-I-get-here" moments after driving and talking hands-free.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast