Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I was at Marshall's Monday and they had a few iPad Tablet car mounting units on close out. I almost got one. The picture showed that it was designed to be strapped to the back of a head rest. Since I have long thought about mounting one of these in the car, I gave this some serious consideration before putting it back down.

A large bright LCD screen is a distraction to the driver and with airbags and such, I don't want to worry about some glass and plastic projectile being launched by an exploding air bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Like I said, it's dangerous but I don't let that stop me If you have a notebook style case and a GMC Safari or luxury cab car it's insanely easy to mount a TP. My screen is filthy but I'm pretty lazy so... The first pic is on top of the cup holders with the case in it's triangle stand and with the plastic lip it's much more stable than on a regular table. The second is with the case flap through the top of the steering wheel which was also awesomely stable although I don't recommend it if you use your horn a lot(may be my new texting setup). I did a third with it hanging from the sun visor and while it was the best angle for extended viewing it was also suicidal.
    Guess what would happen if your airbag goes off...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Such concern! I learned to drive on Montanas icy mountain roads at 13(farmers licenses rock) and then at 18 a year of Taipei/Tianjin inner city driving surrounded by Asian lady drivers going 50 prepared me for anything, I assume. No kids though so I will be eligible for a Darwin if tragedy strikes, if you hear about me winning one make sure the award is dedicated to planned parenthood

Let's see some pics of safer options from other folks!
    Last edited by bable; 09/27/2011 at 01:58 PM.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    The Darwin Award will go to those who are ignorant and mount something in front of an airbag...
    Such concern! I learned to drive on Montanas icy mountain roads at 13 and then a year of Taipei/Tianjin inner city driving surrounded by female Asian drivers going 50 at 18 prepares kid for anything No kids though so I will be eligible for a Darwin award if tragedy strikes, if you hear about me winning one make sure the award is dedicated to planned parenthood

Let's see some pics of safer options from other folks!
    ...until someone backs up in to you in a fast food drive through or parking lot, or a valet hits something while parking it, or the bag spontaneously discharges...
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    The Darwin Award will go to those who are ignorant and mount something in front of an airbag...
    Some of us don't have air bags... just saying 3 of 5 cars currently at my house don't have air bags (1 is not ours and 1 has air bags but driver side has been removed for years).

For me TouchPad is too big for mounting in any of our cars for front seat use, then again I don't own "full sized" vehicles. The 7 incher woulda been a nice dash or visor mount, I have a perfect spot to put a 7incher in my center console.

I would like to see some pics from the creatively insane (like me) that would hack up a dash/console to mount something. Removing air bags, rerouting air ducts or closing them off, etc. Could make a nice hidden install in some cars where the passenger air bag normally is. ETC
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Like I said, it's dangerous but I don't let that stop me If you have a notebook style case and a GMC Safari or luxury cab car it's insanely easy to mount a TP. My screen is filthy but I'm pretty lazy so... The first pic is on top of the cup holders with the case in it's triangle stand and with the plastic lip it's much more stable than on a regular table. The second is with the case flap through the top of the steering wheel which was also awesomely stable although I don't recommend it if you use your horn a lot(may be my new texting setup). I did a third with it hanging from the sun visor and while it was the best angle for extended viewing it was also suicidal.
    South Carolina, RECKLESS driving, go to jail, car towed.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    South Carolina, RECKLESS driving, go to jail, car towed.
    To deny yourself freedoms due to foolishly overbearing politicians is to spit in lady liberties eye. Be smart though, don't smoke in the courthouse I didn't mean to make this a moral thread on the dangers of doing what people will do, sorry Greg. I want to see other setups that solve this peskily fatal airbag dilemma but don't inconvenience my cup holders
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    << Hey everyone, please try and keep this on topic. I really don't want to see this thread closed as I enjoyed the discussion we all previously had about various webOS phones mounted in cars. Remember regardless of opinion on the topic, please do not attack other members! >>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    yeah, this is really off topic. We are grown enough to know about safety and taking care of our selves. Now on subject, I see they have made car mounts for peoples pads just like they do with phones and PDA's. Anyone find one for a good price?
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Three pages of messages and not one picture. Lol

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Three pages of messages and not one picture. Lol

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    2 pages.... check page 1, post 9, 2 pictures attached there
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    One word, velcro.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12