Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By Artichoke
  1.    #1  
    listening to the first 7 - 10 minutes of this video is yet another bad sign for not one HP hardware running WebOS, but I think WebOS as a mobile solution. It's days are seriously numbered: InformationWeek Video - Blogs

A few key comments I picked up are:

When asked how he wants people to see HP: "We are an Information & Technology Services Company primarily serving commercial business"

"We really serve businesses, so if a consurm my 30 year old daughter that wants a smart phone for talking to friends on facebook and and folks think HP should deliver devices like that - WE ARE NOT IN THAT BUSINESS."

"The information that gets delivered to that device and gets managed behind that device - in real time - that business we're in! We don't think we can compete on a best of bread basis providing devices to consumers. Seperate a consumer into the device they use to access information and the information they want to access. We are in the consumer business if you focus on information delivered to the devices."

For $99 - the TouchPad is a great hold me over for a few years; but I see WEbOS updates and app developers falling off fast around the time HP starts it's next fiscal year, which is November 1st.

Thoughts?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    great find, I've been looking for this video - just for context - this was from about a week before Whitman was put into the CEO job. So what have you have to ask yourself - is did Lane put in a CEO to fulfil that vision or change it?

Hint: whitman is saying that it's all steam ahead with current plans.
  3.    #3  
    right - I have seen or read a few interviews with Lane and he actually concerns me as an HP stock holder. My guess is Lane and Whitman will not be getting along within 12 months. I think Lane feels Meg will be his public voice and he can go back behind the scenes.

While this interview is not as bad as others, I have seen several articles stating this guy is the real problem. He came to the board at the same time Leo came. Lane has already contradicted himself a few times; plus dude is perfectly defined by the term: Narcissistic personality disorder.

There is still trouble out there for sure and I bet the head of PSG just wants out at this stage. He probably hopes the PC business is spun off and he can do his own thing. I think they should of made him the CEO if they wanted someone from the consumer side (as Whitman is). oh well...

Time will tell and I am trying to keep an open mind. Regardless, HP (and WebOS) is in for more negative before it gets better - IMHO.
    dude, I'm gettin a Dell!
    cgk and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    I think Lane and Whitman are buddy buddy, lane got promoted so did Whitman, they fired Leo for what they told him to do. And they still will do what Leo did. If he was so wrong why keep doing the same. Even Steve Jobs had to play politics with the board. He got fired by the cola guy after he brought him in. Goes to show how much politics are being played in the board room.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    whitman's experience is in consumer sales, not commercial...
    This guy is a effing moron. Our whole company is moving IT infrastructure and services towards getting the end points running on Apple iPads, a move driven by CONSUMER adoption of the platform. And by consumer, I don't mean our customers, I mean our IT staff, C-Level employees, and even everyone else who just want to check their e-mail on their smartphone , as consumers of a smartphone platform provider themselves. Those consumer choices drive how IT staff positions itself in order to provide support.

HP has decided it doesn't need to provide any consumer choices, and as a result, IT will not have a support target for providing HP services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's the problem, they are too stupid to care.

Meg really needs to step away from the ebay "success" she had. There is at least a little right place, right time, with her "success" at ebay that she tries to spin into other facets of life and incomparable business models.

Just as ebay became ebay, craigslist blew up for similar reasons (people like to buy things cheap and there was nobody filling those specific business models in the digital marketplace). They are low overhead businesses because you stock no product and do not have to have a physical location, there is no comparison to running a company like HP, ebay didn't have widgets to manufacture, sell, and stock.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Meg just wanted a high profile high paying job, she is only 55
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Actually, I hate to disagree, but if you listen to the whole thing, it sounds like HP is actually now committed to WebOS more than ever. Just the software, not the hardware.

And actually, they have a point.

Ray said that the Touchpad was iPad 1 hardware in an iPad 2 world, and that they need to partner with someone, probably in Korea, to make hardware.

Trust me, I was expecting to see Ray distance HP from WebOS, but if you read between the lines, I think they actually are in the process of doing the opposite.

And I'm going to call it here and now. My prediction.

Samsung WebOS hardware in 2012.

Yes you heard it here first.
  11. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    blah, blah...Samsung WebOS hardware in 2012.

Yes you heard it here first.
    Normally I don't pay attention to the 'web os is going to live on as a mobile device OS' and 'the TP will be resurrected' talk. This actually was the first post even vaguely on those lines that made me think 'You know what? *IF* WebOS was going to live on as a tablet/mobile OS, that might actually be how it would go down.'

Why your suggestion's interesting (You know all of this, I'm sure, because of your prediction, but others may not):

Since Google bought out Motorola Mobility a month-or-so ago, there has been a lot of chatter about the possibility of one of the other strong Android supporters (eg. Samsung) making moves to protect its own position (i.e. develop its own operating system) in case Google decides to move into the hardware business in the future, on the back of Motorola (i.e. Motorola hardware tightly integrated with Google Software (Android)). Samsung is based in South Korea. The South Korean government, after the Google/Motorola announcement, announced plans to develop a new OS for mobile devices, to give local smartphone manufacturers (eg. Samsung) support/competitiveness...this was interpreted as "Google's teaming up with Motorola. They could try to squeeze out our local companies such as Samsung. We need to strengthen the position of our local companies in the event that this occurs, by developing our own software/OS" Wouldn't it be handy if they could adopt one, such as WebOS, that is already well on its way...

This would be very interesting. Nice thinking.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Ray said that the Touchpad was iPad 1 hardware in an iPad 2 world, and that they need to partner with someone, probably in Korea, to make hardware.
    If the world's biggest PC maker doesn't have the resources to design hardware*, who does? In any case, the problems with the Touchpad were not hardware, they were software - lack of optimization. (Just look at all the patches that improve performance - each one of them reveals an optimization failure.)

*of course they don't make it, these days everybody has everything made somewhere in Asia.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that's what I said. Didn't read a post that stated otherwise, but may have missed it. Will go back and check what I typed.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
    This guy is a effing moron. Our whole company is moving IT infrastructure and services towards getting the end points running on Apple iPads, a move driven by CONSUMER adoption of the platform. And by consumer, I don't mean our customers, I mean our IT staff, C-Level employees, and even everyone else who just want to check their e-mail on their smartphone , as consumers of a smartphone platform provider themselves. Those consumer choices drive how IT staff positions itself in order to provide support.

HP has decided it doesn't need to provide any consumer choices, and as a result, IT will not have a support target for providing HP services.
    I agree - the buyer drives where an IT company should go and while HP does have more solutions targeted at enterprise business, consumers drive so much behavior. Also, HP continues to contradict itself. It says "the cloud" is the future and that is a major focus and cloud offerings are beginning to role out. In the past few months, almost every VP at HP has stated how important the mobile space is to a cloud offering and that HP is perfectly position with WeOS; however they kill their mobile strategy 5 weeks after the TouchPad is launched.

I think it comes down to one simple thing at HP. The board members are old school in their thinking. They continue to drive old ideas tied to the enterprise only - while the industry has completely changed and EVERYONE wants access to most EVERYTHING (work and play) from a single mobile device (or multiple mobile devices). The ONLY WAY this works is having a mobile strategy directly tied to your cloud strategy - for consumers and business. HP will get to the cloud game too late, with a weak offering that is over priced. Thus, they will fail here too. Sound familiar???
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That's the problem, they are too stupid to care.

Meg really needs to step away from the ebay "success" she had. There is at least a little right place, right time, with her "success" at ebay that she tries to spin into other facets of life and incomparable business models.

Just as ebay became ebay, craigslist blew up for similar reasons (people like to buy things cheap and there was nobody filling those specific business models in the digital marketplace). They are low overhead businesses because you stock no product and do not have to have a physical location, there is no comparison to running a company like HP, ebay didn't have widgets to manufacture, sell, and stock.
    Well, I'm all for giving Meg a chance and am thankful Leo is gone. There really is no perfect choice and whoever was selected as the next CEO would have been torn apart by folks on this site and throughout the industry.

Bottom line: Leo is gone and let's hope things begin to go positive for all things HP - mostly, WebOS is brought back to life and PSG stays put! Oh - wish they could kill that Autonomy deal too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Well, I'm all for giving Meg a chance and am thankful Leo is gone. There really is no perfect choice and whoever was selected as the next CEO would have been torn apart by folks on this site and throughout the industry.

Bottom line: Leo is gone and let's hope things begin to go positive for all things HP - mostly, WebOS is brought back to life and PSG stays put! Oh - wish they could kill that Autonomy deal too.
    are the backbone of any enterprise IT system
    hopefully HP's Chairman of the Board & its new CEO will have sufficient vision to appreciate just how propitious a moment they have happened upon
    the Touchpad is in a lot of users hands & if they can get it to connect to their phones efficiently, they have something very appealing to Enterprise
    gamers have always lead computing
    Meg Whitman surely understands this from her background
    I am optimistic
    Midway99 likes this.