Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HeyTodd
  1.    #1  
    Did I miss the hp.com second sale of newly manufactured TouchPads? I have not received an e-mail from them announcing the sale (I signed up during the fire sale while signups were allowed). Or is there any news announcing a cancellation of this second manufacturing run? Thanks.
    I haven't heard anything about new ones going on sale. All I've heard was about the ones they're manufacturing to fulfill orders that were already placed.

There's information on HP's site, though it doesn't really tell you much:
    HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities
  3.    #3  
    That article doesn't say that newly manufactured TouchPads will be going to people who placed orders on hp.com during the firesale but did not receive a device. The article suggests that people who requested e-mail notification "when more are in stock" will be notified when the newly manufactured units are ready for sale. From the article:
    Q: Will the notification/alert emails go out all at once so everyone has a fair shot?

All those who requested notification have been notified today that more are coming in the future, and will be notified again when more specifics are known.
    Am I missing something? Are newly made units going to fill the orders which were placed during the fire sale but left unfilled? Thanks.
    No, I think that all of the unfilled HP orders will be just that: unfilled. The way I read their press releases/blog/twitter updates is that when the next round of TouchPads are available, everyone who signed up on the (now defunct) alert page will receive an email, which will be followed by a mad dash to place new orders, which will likely crash HP's servers, and everyone will still be all ****y.

-bc
    I don't expect to see HP sell any more units. HP said they would try to fill existing orders placed before a specific date. They also allowed employees to buy them.
  6.    #6  
    Ok, we'll all just stay tuned. If it doesn't happen by 10/7/11, it's not going to happen. Oh well.
    Everyone who still has an open order on the HP SMB site is supposed to get their order filled by the final touchpad production run. Everyone in that situation has received an e-mail from HP saying "Your HP TouchPad will be delivered in 6-8 weeks", which went out about 3 weeks ago. There is no ambiguity in that e-mail at all, it clearly says "Your order will be fullfilled...". However no additional orders will be accepted at the HP SMB store, and they will not be selling any more. Educated guesses put the number of TouchPads back-ordered at the HP SMB store at anywhere from 50k to 100k(!). HP has also committed to letting their employees order TouchPads, starting tomorrow I believe. Finally, HP has mentioned trying to fullfill additional back-orders placed by various distributor and retailer partners (I still have 4 32's and 3 64's on back order at my distributor... no idea if any of those will be delivered).

After that, perhaps any left might get sold at the HP Home & Home Office store. Don't hold your breath.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I saw this a few days ago: The $99 TouchPad Returns To HP’s Employee Purchasing Program On Sept 28th. so, there will be enough to sell to employees, but is that before or after customer backorders get filled?!?

The company is set to release a final batch of the $99/$149 HP TouchPads to employees starting September 28th at 9:00am PDT. This is per an email I received from an HP employee (embedded after the jump), which notes TouchPads are available on a first come, first serve basis and employees are only allowed to buy one TouchPad — which some will likely list on ebay where TouchPads are currently selling for over $200. The sun is setting on the TouchPad’s life and HP is likely ready to move forward, thoroughly burned by their venture into the land of the iPad.

This comes, as stated in the email, as HP is “clearing out inventories and winding down manufacturing operations.” HP previously canceled the TouchPad and allowed retailers to clearance them out at an astounding price: $99 for the 16GB and $149 for the 32GB. Stores sold out nearly overnight, leaving some hopeful that HP would release another batch. Unfortunately the email I received doesn’t detail any other TouchPad retail sales although I would pay close attention to Best Buy, Amazon and HP’s website the days before and after the 28th. It’s such a good deal.
    Don't hold your breath.

Do yourself a favor and just get it off ebay. There are good deals and worth every penny. I got my 2nd one this week from ebay. $235 for the 16gb shipped. The prices have already dropped lower.

Then you can forget stressing out trying to score one the 2nd time around. It will be the equivilent of a black friday stampede at Walmart for a $99 Coby 50" plasma HDTV, only 10 per store.
    i cancelled my order for a 2nd TP today so that frees one up for somebody
    Quote Originally Posted by lideadhead View Post
    Don't hold your breath.

Do yourself a favor and just get it off ebay. There are good deals and worth every penny. I got my 2nd one this week from ebay. $235 for the 16gb shipped. The prices have already dropped lower.

Then you can forget stressing out trying to score one the 2nd time around. It will be the equivilent of a black friday stampede at Walmart for a $99 Coby 50" plasma HDTV, only 10 per store.
    Um, you CAN still get them, at "firesale" prices, IF you are lucky (I was, and snagged one last week for $149, for the 32GB, from Office Depot).

AND now OnSale has apparently actually unbelievably SHIPPED me the 32GB TP that they cancelled on me last month, and for $149 also (WOW) .....

Craigslist is a better/cheaper option, than eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by lideadhead View Post
    Don't hold your breath.

most of the fun was the hunt! and the sweet sweet knowledge that people payed over $500 for this thing.

the TP is just meh. some nice games on it, but won't reach its potential until we get android on this thing...the hunt for android continues!!
    The internal sale is going on right now, and it's very similar to last month's experience. I find that Firefox 7 seems to be doing better than IE 8.
    To me, with the Kindle Fire announcement it really makes no sense to pay more than the fire sale price or even spend a lot of effort trying to get the fire sale price.

RIP WebOS.
    As for the new Kindle announced today....

"Priced at $199, the Fire tablet has a 7-inch screen and can access Amazon's app store, streaming movies and TV shows, the company said. By comparison, the lowest price for a new iPad is $499.

The Fire will be available Nov. 15, with pre-orders started Wednesday."

I wonder if they'll come out with a bigger version for the same or near-same price. 7-inches is too small for many uses.
    I picked up a 16GB TouchPad for my wife in today's HP employee sale. Now I don't have to share MY TouchPad.
    denimadept likes this.