Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cbf123
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm trying to find a way to transfer mp4 video files to my Touchpad wirelessly.

Unfortunately any mp4 file from my desktop server accessed via the Touchpad web browser is automatically streamed instead of downloaded, and there doesn't appear to be any way to override the default action in the Touchpad browser and ask it to download the file instead of streaming. Have I missed a way?

Any other suggestions on wireless file transfers? Box.net is not useful for this purpose because of the default 100 Mbyte file size limit, and I wouldn't want to have to upload large video files just to transfer them within my home network anyway.
    WiFi Media Sync is in the catalog for a couple of bucks. It works for me.
    That or KalemSoft Media Player which now that it's been updates plays way more than just .mp4s even in HD. A bit pricey though but worth it. Try the demo and the network streamer off their site:

KalemSoft - Products
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I have many ways of streaming media from my home server to the TP already, but I'm talking about transferring the media file to the TouchPad so I can take it away on a trip. I'll check out WiFi Media Sync, but I was hoping there would be some simple way to just transfer a file (any file) from my PC to the TouchPad wirelessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    WiFi Media Sync is in the catalog for a couple of bucks. It works for me.
    Personally love WiFi Media Sync, have had it on all my webOS devices.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    for file transfering I suggest using this homebrew app it works every well.
    TBtransfer it works over wifi. I belive its only for windows pc though
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    This may be more involved than the OP wanted, but the "proper" way to do it is to install OpenSSH (available via preware), set up the authorization keys and then use WinSCP or any other scp/sftp app to copy the files to it.

Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals

It's not as fast as USB mode though...maybe 3.5MB/sec uploading from my linux machine to the tablet.

This, combined with the touchstone, means that I never need to plug the touchpad in.
    filmor_ likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    This may be more involved than the OP wanted, but the "proper" way to do it is to install OpenSSH (available via preware), set up the authorization keys and then use WinSCP or any other scp/sftp app to copy the files to it.

Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals

It's not as fast as USB mode though...maybe 3.5MB/sec uploading from my linux machine to the tablet.

This, combined with the touchstone, means that I never need to plug the touchpad in.
    This solution is annoying because:
    A) It involves getting shell to generate the keys (typing on terminal, PITA).
    B) It's sabotaged in a way to make user/pass auth a PITA to implement.

It does work well though.

It really just involves an hour of time fiddling around to get something working if you've never done it before.

I would really applaud the developer of this is they made a single click solution to "generate a ssh key and dump the private key on a folder" you can easily grab via usb cable... or allow some sane way to define a user/pass instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe123123 View Post
    This solution is annoying because:
    A) It involves getting shell to generate the keys (typing on terminal, PITA).
    B) It's sabotaged in a way to make user/pass auth a PITA to implement.

It does work well though.

It really just involves an hour of time fiddling around to get something working if you've never done it before.

I would really applaud the developer of this is they made a single click solution to "generate a ssh key and dump the private key on a folder" you can easily grab via usb cable... or allow some sane way to define a user/pass instead.
    If you have a machine with ssh keys already you can just upload them to the touchpad. Saves generating new ones.

An app would be simpler though.
    I've setup the public/private keys and I can connect from my linux pc to my touchpad via the terminal command line.
    However, what I don't know is how I now transfer a file over.
    I've tried using scp but I don't think I'm getting the syntax right.

Could someone please provide me with an example of how I can transfer a file based on say the following example:
    linux pc, file called song.mp3 sits in the directly ~/home/Music
    TP has IP address of 10.1.1.2 and I want to copy the mp3 to the /media/internal/Music directory.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Also, is there a linux GUI I can use to do this, I've tried to look at a view (Ubuntu) but couldn't get a connection going.

Thanks
    try to look in preware for wifi TP file browser.

it basically launches an app in your TP and sow you an IP address you can type into most browsers then you can transfer, copy files thru wifi.

its free
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    wouldn't mounting shares from your computer on your touchpad be good enough? thats what i do, just mount my computers shared drives using "Network Drives - Enyo Network Drive Mapper" which is free and then using internalz pro to copy files over wifi
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    i use orb.com for streaming and downloading.
    I use TB File Transfer (free) and FTPit (cheap).

FTPit will require an FTP service on your server. If it's running Linux or a server OS, it should already have one available (it might have to be installed or configured). If not, FileZilla or the dozens of other free FTP servers will do the trick. FTPit also happens to be great for managing files on the TouchPad.
    bhome if you use a upnp program
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been using TB Transfer on my Windows laptop but I've been using Ubuntu more and more and I'd like to have the TB server thingy running on Ubuntu but it doesn't work (for me).
    In the command line I run java -jar TBaccess.jar and all I get is:
    Listen: 0.0.0.0

and that's it. Any ideas on this?
    I've also tried running the .exe through Wine but when I try it tells me I need JRE 1.6 but I have that installed. I'm not sure whether it means I need to install the JRE 1.6 through Wine or what.

Any ideas?
    wifi tp file browser, works great its in preware
    I agree with hammer_420. I've been using "wifi tp file browser" (from preware) and it works great. Just install it and follow the simple instructions it gives you.

http://www.precentral.net/wifi-touchpad-file-browser
    Last edited by mmgquiet67; 12/09/2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added link
    chesl73: a lot of applications use 0.0.0.0 to mean they're listing on any address. Are you sure there isn't a firewall enabled? Try this: while it is running, on the Ubuntu system type "telnet 127.0.0.1 3699" (without quotes). If tbtransfer is running, it should connect to itself (it won't do anything but it won't say connection refused). If that works, you probably have a firewall blocking the TouchPad from connecting (I don't use Ubuntu enough to know what firewall it uses). From a quick look on my Windows system using the exe, it appears you need to allow both UDP and TCP ports 3699.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbr View Post
    chesl73: a lot of applications use 0.0.0.0 to mean they're listing on any address. Are you sure there isn't a firewall enabled? Try this: while it is running, on the Ubuntu system type "telnet 127.0.0.1 3699" (without quotes). If tbtransfer is running, it should connect to itself (it won't do anything but it won't say connection refused). If that works, you probably have a firewall blocking the TouchPad from connecting (I don't use Ubuntu enough to know what firewall it uses). From a quick look on my Windows system using the exe, it appears you need to allow both UDP and TCP ports 3699.
    You are spot on! That was exactly the problem.
    I opened up the port as suggested and I could see it.
    Brilliant. Thanks a lot for the reply. Appreciate it.
    I prefer TBaccess to the web thing as it's not as clunky and you can do file transfers direct from the TP without me having to move onto the laptop to do it.
    Thanks.