Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just notice that the firesale for the TouchPad’s closes cousin, the BlackBerry Playbook has begun in the USA (Started in Canada):

Staples:

BlackBerry® PlayBook:™ 7" 16GB, WiFi

Special Buy
    Price:$499.00Instant Savings:-$100.00Visa Card Rebate:-$100.00Price after rebate:$299.00

BlackBerry® PlayBook:™ 7" 32GB, WiFi

Special Buy
    Price:$599.00Instant Savings:-$100.00Visa Card Rebate:-$100.00Price after rebate:$399.00

BlackBerry® PlayBook:™ 7" 64GB, WiFi

Special Buy
    Price:$699.00Instant Savings:-$100.00Visa Card Rebate:-$100.00Price after rebate:$499.00

Personal Observation:

Even at these prices of 299.99, 399.99 and 499.99 - it’s not enough. Reviewing BlackBerry prices on EBay, most are under these prices or equivalent and are not selling very well.

The BlackBerry Playbook (like most other os including Apple’s iOS 5 & Mango for Windows Phone), took many features from webOS, yet there appears to be a magical touch that can’t be duplicated.

Maybe Hp really has something with the slogan “ Works like nothing else “.

Hp really should reconsider discontinuing the webOS product line and find a way to keep the prices low, yet maintain the quality of the hardware. It really stands a chance at being the no. 2 tablet in the world.

Enjoy
    Last edited by myDrpC; 09/26/2011 at 12:24 AM.
    I think for $300 they will sell. Its still a great tablet and is better than everything else in its price range. RIM doesnt need to sell everything out right away, at $300 it wont be a firesale explosion like with the Touchpad but it will be a slow trickle until its gone.
    The TouchPad had similar sales before the plug was pulled on it. I wouldn't call those firesales quite yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    The TouchPad had similar sales before the plug was pulled on it. I wouldn't call those firesales quite yet.
    I think it was very foolish of HP to sell the device so low. For $150 and $200 they could have moved the Touchpads just as quickly and made much more money back. RIM is also not doing so good, so I really doubt they will be selling them for less than cost of production
    I have zero interest in the PlayBook, but at $99 I would definitely buy one and find some use for it, just because of the perceived value in it. That's what I did with the TouchPad, which is my first real tablet (I have a Nook also).

I've since made an investment in the TouchPad by buying all the official accessories and actively buying apps. I like webOS, and I think HP is incompetent for not understanding how to capture mindshare in their initial strategy, and more for not capitalizing on it now that they have some.
    As a long time fan of webOS I wouldn't say "Unmatched in every way". Every Way? Really? Every single way? All aspects?

Every device and operating system has its downsides. Whether it is inside the mobile space, or in desktops.
    BTJepson likes this.
    Actually, the Touchpads beats the Playbook hands down when it comes to apps and game availability.

But then again, the Playbook is much more fast and smooth than the Touchpad. Especially the browser.

But no wonder they slashed the prices on both, cause Android tablets beats them both in both categories.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    $299? That's not a firesale price! Once it gets to $99 then we are talking...

Aside from pricing, this is a bigger problem for RIM than it was for HP - WebOS was a side-show for HP, QNX on the playboook *is* the show for RIM going forward. You have to wonder what adoption will be like once QNX starts to appear on phones?
    Last edited by CGK; 09/26/2011 at 02:53 AM.
    Looking at the tech specs on wiki (comparison of tablet computers), the Touchpad has the best hardware. So much potential lost on an operating system lacking in features.
    Better hardware? Hardly... They're both pretty equally matched in CPUs and GPUs. The Playbooks camera isn't top of the line, but at least it has one where the Touchpad only has a webcam.

The Playbook has a much sharper screen, but the Touchpads screen is brighter, so I comsider that a draw as well.

The 7 or 10 inch size is up to personal preference, but the heavy weight of the Touchpad is a big minus, as is the fingerprint attracting cheap plasticky design.

Both are fairly middle of the road, I'd say.
    BTJepson likes this.
    Touchpad
    Power: 6000mAH
    CPU: 1.5GHz Dual core (underclocked to 1.2GHz)
    RAM: 1GB
    Resolution: 1024x768

Playbook
    Power: 5300mAH
    CPU: 1GHz dual core
    RAM: 1GB
    Resolution: 1024 x 600

Ipad 2
    Power: 6579mAH
    CPU: 1 GHz dual core (underclocked to 800MHz)
    RAM: 512MB
    Resolution: 1024 x 768

Sources: wiki
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    rumor has it the asus transformer will be dropping to 299 b/c their new version will be out soon. (new version taking the price point of the current one)

i'd say that would be a worthy competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfreak92 View Post
    I think for $300 they will sell. Its still a great tablet and is better than everything else in its price range. RIM doesnt need to sell everything out right away, at $300 it wont be a firesale explosion like with the Touchpad but it will be a slow trickle until its gone.
    I have info from RIM seles person that the quality of the PlayBook hardware really not good, especially the HDMI port. HDMI cable sell separately at very expensive price, and then if we connect the cable from PlayBook to TV, the performance of Playbook drop significantly, laggy and really not near smooth at all. It become sometimes unresponsive. I saw this in person, so I can confirm this. Other then that the worst part is, if the HDMi cable accidently pulled quite hard from PlayBook when it still connect to TV, HDMI port will get loose and will cause non-stop error. This info I got from sales person from RIM dealer in my city, and he said this happend with PlayBook that sold by other RIM dealer too. Maybe this is a defect batch, but maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Actually, the Touchpads beats the Playbook hands down when it comes to apps and game availability.
    I think Android emulation is an upcoming Playbook feature (if it's not already), so that advantage isn't long for this world
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    RIM has sold more Playbooks than HP has sold TouchPads, although it certainly hasn't been a big success for them.

Right now they're just clearing the way for the Playbook 2 with a reasonable price reduction. The PB has been available for $299 from cell carriers in Canada for a while now.
    I think like people who bought TouchPads (at full price) were, for the most part, already webOS phone owners, most owners of Playbooks are Blackberry owners who like the brand and integration with their phones. Also like the (full-priced) TouchPad, anyone outside that circle doesn't really give two hoots about it.

I'd imagine more Playbooks were sold at normal prices than TouchPads, mainly because RIM users numbers dwarfed that of webOS users.

Put it out there for $99, and I will grab one though.
    Actually PlayBook is at $250 after mail in rebate from Staple. I saw it yesterday. If it was for mail in rebate, I probably picked it up. I will wait for Amazon's annoucement on 28th. If they don't have a tablet for $250, I probably pick up Playbook.

Yes, Playbook has less apps than TouchPad right now, but next firmware update, I think it will be in Oct or Nov. They will have Android player and native email and calendar (finally) apps.

It will be awesome 7inch tablet.

But Amazon probably will release the 7in tablet, and I will just wait for RIM to drop it's price to $99.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmenot View Post
    Looking at the tech specs on wiki (comparison of tablet computers), the Touchpad has the best hardware. So much potential lost on an operating system lacking in features.
    The Touchpad is very much like the cheerleader captain that I dated back in high school.
    Needless to say, she was insanely hot and I was the envy of the all male students and
    male teachers of the entire school.

Unfortunately, that was it..... she was a painfully boring person with a tad of crazy.
    All I wanted to do was take her to the Wizard so she could ask for a new brain.
    I only kept on dating her until graduation because she threatened to kill herself if
    I broke up with her. After that, I move 1500 miles away....
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    The Touchpad is very much like the cheerleader captain that I dated back in high school.
    Needless to say, she was insanely hot and I was the envy of the all male students and
    male teachers of the entire school.

Unfortunately, that was it..... she was a painfully boring person with a tad of crazy.
    All I wanted to do was take her to the Wizard so she could ask for a new brain.
    I only kept on dating her until graduation because she threatened to kill herself if
    I broke up with her. After that, I move 1500 miles away....
    LOL

I hope the playbook drops more to say $200, then it'd be in the "steal" range.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I still wouldn't take a playbook over a touchpad.. I had so many issues with my last blackberry. I wont own one again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast