Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    So I have a TP 64GB, and it has a SIM tray present. The SIM tray is a dummy (i.e., it cannot accept a SIM card, even though it pops in and out). So, I am wondering why there is even a SIM tray there.

Does the 64GB TP have a built-in cellular radio that just hasnt been activated? Can the 64GB TP be turned into a TP 4G 64GB?

Thanks for your thoughts!!
    it's a place holder for a 'real' sim tray on a 4g touchpad. all touchpads have it, not just the 64 (but I suspect it's more obvious on the white). if you look closely you'll see they also use the space for the serial number and fcc info (or whatever regulatory info is required in the country it was sold in). no, there is no cellular radio hiding in there somewhere, and no way to retro-fit one. this has been well discussed and examined already.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Not a SIM tray, just a place where HP have added some serial, MAC etc data about the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAJAH View Post
    Not a SIM tray, just a place where HP have added some serial, MAC etc data about the device.
    Wrong, it actually is a placeholder for a simcard. There is even a holder for simcards in there, but it's not connected and I guess the chips are missing too.

Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: SIM card slot | 39 of 74
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    actually it does have serial information on the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    actually it does have serial information on the bottom.
    Yes, but HP didn't add it just for the serial no. which would be kind of senseless anyway
    Maybe it can be modded to turn into a microSD card reader!