Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all - for all those with the case cracking or those who don't want this malady to befall them - behold the solution:

spray the back with Plasti-Dip. Mask areas appropriatly that you don't want coated.

You all know and love the stuff , it's the soft rubbery coating on the backside of a lot of devices ( including the pre3 and HP's own Zeen tablet)

Comes in colours ... but stay away from the clear , it yellows.

Live long and prosper.

<<staff edit - link removed>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/25/2011 at 11:33 AM.
    lukeaddison likes this.
    Pretty drastic idea... mess up with that and you're stuck with it for life on the device. Taking it off would cause more damage than if you just bought a case.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Pretty drastic idea... mess up with that and you're stuck with it for life on the device. Taking it off would cause more damage than if you just bought a case.
    Drastic? are you kiddin? Easy peazy , you can peel it off if you dont like it. Drastic would be super gluing it - yuk

Reasearch the product before you dismiss.

I've been using it for years to black out automotive trim. Use a razor blade to pick at a corner to peel the whole thing off like a big sticker. Check it out!
    A case is a better solution, a decent case takes the strain off the TP while your holding it and is going to look a lot nicer.
    vella_ likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Tell that to the people that have had it in a case since day one and still have cracks.
    lukeaddison likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
    Drastic? are you kiddin? Easy peazy , you can peel it off if you dont like it. Drastic would be super gluing it - yuk

Reasearch the product before you dismiss.

I've been using it for years to black out automotive trim. Use a razor blade to pick at a corner to peel the whole thing off like a big sticker. Check it out!
    I've had a lot of experience with the stuff. I'm not "dismissing" it as you say. Have you put it on your device? Did you get it on smoothly without getting it on your screen or in the speakers or USB ports? Spraying it on is easy... getting it on evenly on a curved device with areas you have to protect is another thing. Peeling it off if needed will put stress on the areas that you are trying to keep from cracking. Use at your own risk.
    vella_ likes this.
  7.    #7  
    I've had a lot of experience with the stuff. I'm not "dismissing" it as you say. Have you put it on your device? Did you get it on smoothly without getting it on your screen or in the speakers or USB ports? Spraying it on is easy... getting it on evenly on a curved device with areas you have to protect is another thing. Peeling it off if needed will put stress on the areas that you are trying to keep from cracking. Use at your own risk.
    Doing 2 units in the next day or so , have to get a can of black only have red. As for getting everywhere - good god man - mask it. This whole procedure is a 20 min job at best.

As for getting it even on curved surfaces - huh? What difference does that make? It's a spray can . . .

ever see automotive parts - everything has curved surfaces. Cmon man your making this sound impossible when it's actually mind numbingly easy. Feels good too .
    Post some shots of the final outcome if you would. I'm not dissing the solution, just not a method I'd use - but would be interested in seeing how it turned out. Change my mind that way if you want
  9.    #9  
    Post some shots of the final outcome if you would. I'm not dissing the solution, just not a method I'd use - but would be interested in seeing how it turned out. Change my mind that way if you want
    Will do!

was tempted to use the red I have today , but , well it's red. Oh and I'm masking out the HP logo in the middle. Should look nice.

It was something I was going to do anyway ( I don't have cracks - yet) , I just love the feeling of that soft no slip rubber. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Will do!

was tempted to use the red I have today , but , well it's red. Oh and I'm masking out the HP logo in the middle. Should look nice.

It was something I was going to do anyway ( I don't have cracks - yet) , I just love the feeling of that soft no slip rubber. YMMV.
    yeah, would be interested to see picks. I love the rubberized feel of the BlackBerry Playbook.
    If you get it to work and look smooth, I'll be the first to eat my words (I love the taste of crow) LOL I've used the stuff many, many times when I was doing home and car audio installations and would love to see this work well.
  12.    #12  
    If you get it to work and look smooth, I'll be the first to eat my words (I love the taste of crow) LOL I've used the stuff many, many times when I was doing home and car audio installations and would love to see this work well.
    Trick is first 2 coats lightly , then thicker coats a couple more times, making sure the nozzle is clean so it doesn't spit , it dries flat so I've never seen it appear 'uneven' . Are we using the same stuff?

In a perfect world I'd love to just pop the back off and spray like that ( did my old 3g iphone like that, dropped it and cracked the plastic back)
    Hi all - for all those with the case cracking or those who don't want this malady to befall them - behold the solution:

spray the back with Plasti-Dip. Mask areas appropriatly that you don't want coated.

You all know and love the stuff , it's the soft rubbery coating on the backside of a lot of devices ( including the pre3 and HP's own Zeen tablet)

Comes in colours ... but stay away from the clear , it yellows.

Live long and prosper.

<<staff edit - link removed>>
    I really doubt this will prevent the cracking. It's rubber that has no real added support to protect the fragile area of the tablet. I had a rather thick rubbery skin on mine and it cracked. However, it does give a nice grip to the device.
    How would spraying the back with a rubberized coating prevent cracking of the underlying plastic? Hint: it won't. The way to prevent cracking is to prevent the plastic from flexing, which a rubberized coating won't do.

What it will do is make the TP feel and look much cooler though.
    It will give it a good feel, but I agree that it isn't a solution for cracking in any way.
    How about liquid electrician's tape? Comes with a brush. I can guarantee it would not look like a perfectly smooth application (who cares?) but if it goes back into a case who cares?! I can guarantee you wouldn't get any where but where but you target as long as you are careful. Could even use an art brush.
    Last edited by ratchet; 09/25/2011 at 12:57 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    How would spraying the back with a rubberized coating prevent cracking of the underlying plastic? Hint: it won't. The way to prevent cracking is to prevent the plastic from flexing, which a rubberized coating won't do.

What it will do is make the TP feel and look much cooler though.
    By increasing surface tensile strength. In theory.

Some light reading ( sorry I'm an engineer):

Strength of Materials - Mechanics of Materials - Engineers Edge

Still , I just love how it feels, for that alone I'll do it
  18.    #18  
    Alternate solution to cracking - Warning not for the timid or technically uninclined-may void warranty :

HP TouchPad Repair Manual - iFixit

Follow the instructions to pop it open. Find cracks on inside back cover and use a 2 part epoxy to fill crack(s) . You may need to remove some components to get to the crack depending on location. Make sure you wipe off any epoxy before it hardens that may have squeezed thru on the outside using Isopropyl alcohol.

Do not use superglue or other CA's!

Hopefully the mods will leave link up.
    Do at your own risk.
    Last edited by solidstate; 09/25/2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i'd like to see some pictures after you paint your. i might try this with mine too. i dont have a crack but i'm not too keen on the glossy black
    this is a pretty good Idea, i'm thinking of doing it to my tp when it comes in the mail.. Just as a preventative measure.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast