Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #21  
    FYI ,If your looking for something more permanent there is also the Alsacorp softfeel. Hi end stuff , often used on custom car dashboards to change the color . Pricey and you need a nice spray gun but outstanding results. It bonds to the surface , defiantly permanent .
    pics or it didn't happen
    vella_ likes this.
    bleh skinomi techskin (Carbon Fiber) can in theory have a similar effect no?

I had a similar product on my iPhone 4. Adds a nice texture and plus its on sale (on their website) on clearance.

I see they have a wood effect one too... but CF looks much better.

(PS no links )
    Has anyone worked out WHY the cases are cracking first of all?

It seems that not all cases crack..
    It seems that encaseing the unit doesn't prevent it from cracking..

Was it one particular batch of bad/brittle Chinese Plastic?
    Is it that some were assembled roughly or 'wrongly', thus pre-stressing the case?
    Or both!
    Is it (ambient) temparature related via natural expansion/contraction etc?
    Is it even a particular resonant frequency from the speakers, initiating cracks?

It IS 'only' A Case after all! At least it isn't the screens that are cracking!
    The main objective would be to prevent the crack from worsening & creeping further surely?
    In engineering terms, this is often done by drilling a minute hole right at the extreme end of the crack!
    But the internal epoxy glue application sounds like the simplest and best way to both return some structural integrity and also probably assist in 'locking it off' against spreading further anyway!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/25/2011 at 07:06 PM.
    I used the superglue. Hope the only downside is the bit of ugliness. I then skinomied over top of it. I thought I'd quit worrying once it was covered, but now I'm wondering if my usb crack is spreading underneath and someday I'll pick up thr tp and it will fall in half! Next time I'll try the plasti-dip.
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    A rubberized coating will NOT prevent cracking. It is most likely due to stress on the housing. A spray will not help.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    I used the superglue. Hope the only downside is the bit of ugliness. I then skinomied over top of it.
    +1. Working great so far.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Has anyone worked out WHY the cases are cracking first of all?

It seems that not all cases crack..
    It seems that encaseing the unit doesn't prevent it from cracking..

i wonder how gently people handle theirs. but seems like random occurrence. only thing that appears to be common is they are near where the speakers are, from what i've read anyway
    I'm curious to see these pics too. Good luck!
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Will this stuff actually "stick" to a smooth plastic surface?

In all my years of painting various things, this doesn't sound like it is going to hold up well on a smooth plastic surface. I have never used this specific product, but I have used many other products on many surfaces.

Even if it lays down nice, I can't imagine it not having to be handled more gently than the current cracking TP's.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Do you think a Skinomi TechSkin body screen would help? or any of those body skins?
    4th page now on this topic (on communities anyway) and still no pix! Lets see the plastidip! Only way I see spraying this on safely would be with the back cover off the tablet imo. I'd love to see it.

As for the science of it, they've been using spray bedliner on mythbusters to help make buildings bomb resistant. Perhaps a coating of plastidip could be useful.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    waiting on the pictures. video of the process would be cool too.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    4th page now on this topic (on communities anyway) and still no pix! Lets see the plastidip! Only way I see spraying this on safely would be with the back cover off the tablet imo. I'd love to see it.

As for the science of it, they've been using spray bedliner on mythbusters to help make buildings bomb resistant. Perhaps a coating of plastidip could be useful.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I'm thinking A TouchPad backed with Rhino Lining would absolutely rock.

Anyway, everyone seems to miss the most obvious benefit to using the Plastic Dip stuff.
    If the case cracks underneath the stuff ... so what, you won't see it!
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    Anyway, everyone seems to miss the most obvious benefit to using the Plastic Dip stuff. If the case cracks underneath the stuff ... so what, you won't see it!
    That would be true with most aftermarket cases as well!!
    I don't know what you guys do, but I carry my TP everywhere with me, throw it 10 feet across the room onto the bed, let it slide around and smack things in the car, hold it in landscape mode all the time, and I don't have a crack yet. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
    Hi all - for all those with the case cracking or those who don't want this malady to befall them - behold the solution:

spray the back with Plasti-Dip. Mask areas appropriatly that you don't want coated.

You all know and love the stuff , it's the soft rubbery coating on the backside of a lot of devices ( including the pre3 and HP's own Zeen tablet)

Comes in colours ... but stay away from the clear , it yellows.

Live long and prosper.

<<staff edit - link removed>>
    Had no idea this stuff existed, will test it out on some other stuff. I love that rubbery feeling, so much better than plastic.
    Now I like this idea, I would consider doing this to my spare 16 gig... but we have HP cases for all of our TP's.

If I ever do get a crack I think I might shoot it with some bed liner.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    I don't know what you guys do, but I carry my TP everywhere with me, throw it 10 feet across the room onto the bed, let it slide around and smack things in the car, hold it in landscape mode all the time, and I don't have a crack yet. Weird.
    Same here, I just figured it's an Irish thing...
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hilarious.

I wonder if it would add noticeable weight to the Touchpad after the treatment?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast