Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I have the opportunity to trade for a TouchPad 4G.

Wondering a few things:
    1. Will it work with an iPad grandfathered unlimited data plan SIM card (I know I will need to use a microsim adapter in the TouchPad, but wondering if it works, as I would prefer to use the TouchPad's 4G radio over the iPad's 3G radio anytime (at least, I think so))?

2. As far as webOS doctors, does it use the same version of the doctor as the other Touchpads (it seems like both the 64GB and 32GB versions use the same webOS doctor version - please correct me if I am wrong)?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    SIM-Adapters are evil. One ate my first Veer. I suggest that you just go to AT&T store. They will ugrade the SIM for a small charge to 4G (actually HSPA+) and let you keep your grandfathered unlimited plan. It worked for me.

As for the Doctor. You are out of luck until they release one for the 4G TP. The others (99.9999% for sure) will not work as they wil not have the files/drivers for the SIM/data card.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    SIM-Adapters are evil. One ate my first Veer. I suggest that you just go to AT&T store. They will ugrade the SIM for a small charge to 4G (actually HSPA+) and let you keep your grandfathered unlimited plan. It worked for me.
    Glad to see the iPad grandfathered plan can work with the HP TouchPad. Yay!!

On related notes,
    1. do you notice significant speed increase using the 4G (instead of the 3G iPad)?
    2. have you gotten freetether to work with your TouchPad 4G?

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Sorry if I mislead you. I moved from a iPhone 4 to a AT&T Pre3 not a TP. Same microSIM issue though.

With 4G I get about 2.7 to 3 mbps,
    with 3G (edge) I get about 1.2 to 1.5 mbps

I have freetether working on Pre3 cuz that's how I connect. You won't need it if you have a 4G TP though. Unless you want to share that connection. Beware, AT&T is tracking heavy users (above 3/4Gb) per month. If you hit it they will start throttling your download speeds. This is even if you're unlimited.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info re the SIM card. Much appreciated.

I now have my Touchpad 4G (yay!! expensive trade, though). The SIM tray is made of plastic (nice bend) and does not completely pull out of the Touchpad. The actual SIM slot has quite a bit of room in there for a SIM card (unlike the Veer's SIM slot, which is TIGHT and could not accommodate a microSIM adapter without risking breakage). I was actually able to slide in an ATT microSIM adapter in and out of the tray multiple times without issue; the only tricky part is when you remove the microSIM adapter, to make sure that you do it carefully and don't apply too much pressure up.

I will be experimenting over the next couple of days with putting in my iPad microSIM, and seeing how that will work. Will post results here.

Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Sorry if I mislead you. I moved from a iPhone 4 to a AT&T Pre3 not a TP. Same microSIM issue though.

With 4G I get about 2.7 to 3 mbps,
    with 3G (edge) I get about 1.2 to 1.5 mbps

I have freetether working on Pre3 cuz that's how I connect. You won't need it if you have a 4G TP though. Unless you want to share that connection. Beware, AT&T is tracking heavy users (above 3/4Gb) per month. If you hit it they will start throttling your download speeds. This is even if you're unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    I now have my Touchpad 4G (yay!! expensive trade, though).
    Where on earth did you find a TouchPad 4G to trade for??

Is it a retail-packaged/boxed model? What's the model #?

-- Nathan
    Probably one of the E4 (engineering) units. There is a 4G on craigslist in San Jose for $799. Unknown whether and/or how many production caliber units HP had made.
    Dan Donovan
    Where is the sim card slot located? is it on the same side as the volume rocker?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    Where is the sim card slot located? is it on the same side as the volume rocker?
    You have a slot too on your wifi only model - BUT, it's just a dummy slot in our case and non functional. It's where the sim card would have gone. But it does have your TP serial number on it. Look for the slight indent opposite the volume rocker (right hand side). Press down inside the indent to unlatch it. Pull up GENTLY as it will not detach.
    I pressed down and it just stayed down. Shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    I pressed down and it just stayed down. Shoot.
    You have to press it with some pressure and your fingernail, then it will open.
    Nice, it worked and its back to normal. Thanks!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Does anyone have webOS Doctor for ATT 4G TouchPAD...I managed to brick mine, Thanks in advance.

Borsheck
    Quote Originally Posted by borsheck View Post
    Does anyone have webOS Doctor for ATT 4G TouchPAD...I managed to brick mine, Thanks in advance.

Borsheck
    They are still available through the normal channels:

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    They are still available through the normal channels:

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    I tried to download the file using different browsers and my security settings off, but the page reads "server cannot be located". Anyone have a link we can download from?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by kid james View Post
    I tried to download the file using different browsers and my security settings off, but the page reads "server cannot be located". Anyone have a link we can download from?

Thanks in advance
    Copy this into the "hosts" file:
    Code:
    23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42	downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161	ipkg.preware.org
    And then proceed as usual. Everything should work.

This fixes Preware, webOS Doctor downloads and Palm SDK/driver download links
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Code:
    And then proceed as usual. Everything should work.

This fixes Preware, webOS Doctor downloads and Palm SDK/driver download links
    I don't mean to be a pain, but could you tell me step by step how to do this, or provide a link to a webpage to do this? I am not very knowledgeable in WebOS yet.

Thank you
    I don't mean to be a pain, but could you tell me step by step how to do this, or provide a link to a webpage to do this? I am not very knowledgeable in WebOS yet.

Thank you
    The "hosts" file is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, and to edit it:

Go to "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc"
    ...and if you have Windows XP, right-click the "hosts" file, then click "Properties", the last option on the bottom. When "Properties" open up, uncheck the "read-only" box and click "Apply". Then open Notepad and drag the file into the Notepad window.
    If you have Windows 7, find Notepad on your Start menu and right-click, then click "Run as Administrator", and then drag the "hosts" file into Notepad.

Code:
    and click "Save". If you're on XP, go back to "Properties" and set the file back to "read-only".

If you are using a Mac or Linux (Ubuntu, etc) computer, the file is still under "/etc/hosts" and you can probably Google for a guide.

Anyway, what the "hosts" file does, is allow you to "write in" your own DNS records, which are mappings of numeric IP addresses and their corresponding domain names. Normally, DNS records are requested by your computer from specialized "DNS servers", maintained by your ISP, and it's done automatically without you having to do anything.

But currently, the server (195.22.200.42) which is hosting webOS Doctors in not bound to "downloads.help.palm.com". When you add the correct "hosts" file entry, the links will work
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/16/2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The "hosts" file is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, and to edit it:

Go to "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc"
    ...and if you have Windows XP, right-click the "hosts" file, then click "Properties", the last option on the bottom. When "Properties" open up, uncheck the "read-only" box and click "Apply". Then open Notepad and drag the file into the Notepad window.
    If you have Windows 7, find Notepad on your Start menu and right-click, then click "Run as Administrator", and then drag the "hosts" file into Notepad.

Code:
    and click "Save". If you're on XP, go back to "Properties" and set the file back to "read-only".

If you are using a Mac or Linux (Ubuntu, etc) computer, the file is still under "/etc/hosts" and you can probably Google for a guide.

Anyway, what the "hosts" file does, is allow you to "write in" your own DNS records, which are mappings of numeric IP addresses and their corresponding domain names. Normally, DNS records are requested by your computer from specialized "DNS servers", maintained by your ISP, and it's done automatically without you having to do anything.

But currently, the server (195.22.200.42) which is hosting webOS Doctors in not bound to "downloads.help.palm.com". When you add the correct "hosts" file entry, the links will work
    Thanks, I will try this. I should have mentioned I have Windows 8.1.
    Thanks, I will try this. I should have mentioned I have Windows 8.1.
    When I use WebOS doctor, it will say not compatible. Not sure if I followed directions right, but do I have to restart the computer? I am using the AT&T Pre 3 version of doctor. Please help. Can I use the system update, or is that no longer working?

Last edited by kid james; 11/16/2014 at 04:51 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast