Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

The last sentence was the most interesting:

However, the massive success of this summerís fire sale of the $99 HP Touchpad is hard to ignore, and Whitman may decide yet to capitalize on the demand while interest remains at fever pitch.

$99 HP TouchPad Sale: Will New CEO Meg Whitman Resurrect Tablet Giveaway?
    By CP News Briefs

$99 HP TouchPad Sale: Will New CEO Meg Whitman Resurrect Tablet Giveaway?, Christian News
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Why would she take public ownership of a failure?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Why wouldn't she jump at the chance to lose HP some money? Sounds like a solid business strategy.
    Pazienza and sinsin07 like this.
    Can we just have a Meg Whitman speculation thread instead of 50,000 different posts?
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Couldn't she just fly a helicopter around and throw money out of the side over crowds of people? Not only does this have the same impact on HP but it would be simply cooler to watch. Crowds of people would gather in cities waiting for the 'Megcopter' to appear and lavish them with shareholders money.
    ok but the MegCopter doesnt have apps...So developers and consumers dont get to build up an ecosystem like if HP used the super cheap TouchPad method...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    ok but the MegCopter doesnt have apps...So developers and consumers dont get to build up an ecosystem like if HP used the super cheap TouchPad method...
    So HP should lose millions of dollars on hardware so a few developers can sell a few apps for a couple of million (being generous) webos users? Did you calculate how long it would take HP to recoup the loses on hardware with their take on app sales?

Not realistic. And please no references to xBox & PS3.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    So HP should lose millions of dollars on hardware so a few developers can sell a few apps for a couple of million (being generous) webos users? Did you calculate how long it would take HP to recoup the loses on hardware with their take on app sales?

Not realistic. And please no references to xBox & PS3.
    Hi all,

The way they fixed it they are loosing $1.5 BILLION give or take..

HP should have linked up with Amazon or some other pipeline BEFORE they bought Palm.....Mark Hurd getting fired in the middle of this jinxed it as well....b/c deals weren't made...he had vision and understood the future of computing is mobile computing...shame his wife didn't have vision should could have gotten a degree in advanced welding and welded all his zippers shut....

Considering the fact that Leo got fired not for killing of webOS and trying to selling the computer div...he got in trouble b/c of how Wall st felt about it....kind of makes what mark Hurd did look like a tempest in teapot....

I wonder how many of the BOD are so sorry the fired Mark Hurd now..

Also one last thing have learned from this site, that Meg isn't to balme for as much of the problems as I thought...for starters we can't blame Meg for not interviewing Leo before he got the Job...Meg became a member of the BOD in January AFTER Leo was hired...

Also we DON'T KNOW how Meg voted on killing off webOS hardware and selling/spinning off the PC div we also don't know how she voted or felt about the proposed merger....but I'm sure there are a lot of penilties in them if it doesn't go thru....IE: just a very quick look at AT&T-T-M merger paperwork....if the deal is tanked more than likely AT&T is going to have cough up mega $ as well as part of it's frequencies......

So not going thru with the merger may be worse or almost as expensive as not.....

I'm going to give Meg the benifit of the doubt....she know for being a deal maker, perhaps she can cut a favorable deal for HP's PC div if the spin it off as well as webOS...I can't imagine the stockholders are going to want to keep webOS as it is since it doesn't have any use on hardware in production, no liscening fees and no uses outside of mobile computing....

By now the HP investment into webOS must be well over $1.5 Billion, I think that writing off that much in this economy especailly since Mark Hurd was right about mobile computing may be very unpalatable, especially since that was only approx 1/1/2 years ago......so let's give Meg who is on the job but a few days a little time before we all go nuts!

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    There are times when investments don't pay off. The company cuts it's losses at that point.

There is no indication that WebOS can compete with iOS, Android, or WM or a reason to go out and compete with them.

WebOS has been in the marketplace for over 2 years and the Touchpad was a flop.
    HP is just a flawed company and the flaws were fully exposed when they took on webOS...Too slow + no vision is a bad combo in mobile tech... HP could still rescue webOS at this late stage if it had the right attributes but it is what it is...

I seriously doubt Meg Whitman wants to do the heavy lifting needed to turn webOS around...I live in California and I saw her up close when she ran for govnah (lol)... She didnt get my vote to say the least...
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    There are times when investments don't pay off. The company cuts it's losses at that point.

There is no indication that WebOS can compete with iOS, Android, or WM or a reason to go out and compete with them.

Right - that $1.5 billion ilovedessert mentions - it's gone, it's not there. It should not form the basis of future decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Couldn't she just fly a helicopter around and throw money out of the side over crowds of people? Not only does this have the same impact on HP but it would be simply cooler to watch. Crowds of people would gather in cities waiting for the 'Megcopter' to appear and lavish them with shareholders money.
    Maybe not money...

Flash forward to:
    As God as my witness...I thought TouchPads could fly...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Crowds of people would gather in cities waiting for the 'Megcopter' to appear and lavish them with shareholders money.
    I would buy a Megcopter Transformer
    Man I love your comments! I think I have thanked a little too many
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Why wouldn't she jump at the chance to lose HP some money? Sounds like a solid business strategy.
    especially since shes the type of person that wants to move on later down the road to other things. if she ever wanted to be a politician that mistake would be brought up again and a gain... sorry guys but theres no way in hell she would allow it to continue after the second batch is released.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    I would buy a Megcopter Transformer

It could transform into a touchpad.
    It could transform into a touchpad.
    Ha! What would ASUS say about that?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post

If it was that big of a flop then why the hell would you have a fire sale and release 1,000,000 units into the wild in such a tumultuous manner? All you have done is ensured now that you absolutely have to keep supporting the OS, and at least for the time being, the hardware. They would have probably been better off just letting it fade away. Now they actually have a significant user base who have a legitimate expectation of some sort of longevity beause they did give money to HP...
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    If it was that big of a flop then why the hell would you have a fire sale and release 1,000,000 units into the wild in such a tumultuous manner? All you have done is ensured now that you absolutely have to keep supporting the OS, and at least for the time being, the hardware. They would have probably been better off just letting it fade away. Now they actually have a significant user base who have a legitimate expectation of some sort of longevity beause they did give money to HP...
    Because they'd rather lose $200 per unit than $300 per unit?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I see no reason not to sell the Touchpad until they run out of stock. Seriously, as long as they recoup the cost of shipping, they have already bought the parts and the assembly. They aren't losing more money by selling them. They are, however, losing more money if they are sitting in a warehouse taking up space while they cost 300 to build.
    ilovedessert likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast