Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    wth!! my friend was just playing dukenukem with my touchpad and he called my attention about a full erase message saying "keep holding". there are no cancel option. then it restarted by itself and now im back to select your country. and yes it erased itself unfortunately.

why did it do that? why is there no cancel option?

thanks
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    btw im running uber kernel @ 1.5 with alot of patches
    maybe your friend found an easter egg in Duke Nukem;-)
    my brother said this happened to him while trying to load some manuals into the the kindle app. I don't know exact details of what he was doing but it did a full erase and he got some stuff back but still lost stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    my brother said this happened to him while trying to load some manuals into the the kindle app. I don't know exact details of what he was doing but it did a full erase and he got some stuff back but still lost stuff.
    I've read several reports of this happening with the kindle "side loading" script so if you used that sounds like a leading suspect. If you do some searches here should be easy to find.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I am including this here since it happened after I had installed about 12 books I converted using Calibre and uploaded and installed using the Kindle Import app.

Just had this happen tonight after I was importing books using the new Kindle Import app. I checked my Device Info and it showed I had 12gb of my 32gb used. I was offered only to restart and it wiped my TouchPad. Just 2 days ago, my TouchPad completely deleted all programs except those that came with it after trying to use the Kindle Import app, but wouldn't recognize my profile and reinstall my programs. In order to get my programs back, I had to doctor, synch and reinstall everything. Very frustrating. Could there be some kind of memory leak with this app?
    I was able to access the installed books and was reading one when this problem happened.
    Thanks for any ideas and help.
    I have not read about the Kindle Import causing this problem, but it seems to be a possible cause for mine. I too am running UberKernal at 1.5ghz.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    now that you mentioned it, I just installed side loading kindle app yesterday. It could possibly be the cause. I might have to doctor when I get home. Thanks guys
    I installed the kindle side load app. So far no problems of full erase happening. (I am running 1.5ghz)
    So as I posted earlier, I've read here that the kindle side loading app might be a suspect in this. But we have not installed or run the kindle script on this touchpad.

I just found out my daughters touchpad powered off and when started acted like when it was new, prompting for language, network, account, etc. I also noticed that it apparently had last successfully backed up 10 days ago. Anyway, it's restoring applications now, all preware is gone so I'll have to do that after the rest is restored. Not sure if data was erased as well yet since the apps aren't back yet to check.

Too soon to tell if it's some sort of touchpad bug or a user issue. My daughter had a friend over who is a known "loose cannon" who was using it at the time. I can't get a straight story about what she was doing when this happened. I'm not saying she caused it, just can't rule it out. The fact that the touchpad hadn't backed up in 10 days seems to indicate a possible systemic issue. And for the friend to have caused this, the only way I know would have been to go into settings, device info, reset options and pick one of the options highlighted in red. Seems unlikely someone unfamiliar with a touchpad could find there way there either accidentally or even maliciously.

Those more familiar with WebOS, Touchpads, is there any other way a user could have caused this?

I my never find out what happened, really don't know at this point. It's definitely a wake-up call about making backups though, no matter what I find or don't find.

**Update - got a bit more information. The friend left and my daughter started talking. She apparently hadn't wanted to say what happened in front of the friend. So her observations were that the friend was holding the touchpad and keyboard. It made a couple of unusual sounds described to be some sort of cascading alert tone. So at this point they looked at it and saw a message partially captured which was something like this - "continue holding {unknown words} to erase". That was pretty much it at which point apparently she kept holding whatever it was and erased the touchpad.

So what key(s) can you hold to erase a touchpad? I'm not sure and want to find out to prevent it from happening again!

***2nd update. So just did some googling. I had already learned that holding down the power button and "center" both for approximately 10 seconds will reset the Touchpad. Apparently if you press and hold “power” “volume up” and “center” button all at the same time, a "Full Erase" screen appears allowing a full reset of last resort. I don't know how she could have done this on accident but that seems to be the Occam's razor simplest explanation in this case. Not only did she manage to get this screen up but also seemingly confirmed the reset, not an easy thing to do by accident but apparently managed it.
    Yeah, just tried it, all you have to do to do a full erase is hold power, center and volume up for a few seconds... I stopped before the time was up, but scary!!

So, this is different from the "application database is full" problem from this thread:*http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ost-full.html*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    thanks for the info. im just talking with my friend right now anf he gave me more info. he said that while he was playing the screen turned black as if it was in terminal and he saw alot of text saying "full erase" and "sync". the it shutdown by itself. if it would help, BT keyboard was paired at that time
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew.rosenfelder View Post
    Yeah, just tried it, all you have to do to do a full erase is hold power, center and volume up for a few seconds... I stopped before the time was up, but scary!!

So, this is different from the "application database is full" problem from this thread:*http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ost-full.html*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Yes it's different. I probably shouldn't have posted it in this thread but didn't know what the issue was when first discovered and had recently read this thread so posted here.

I'm not thrilled that there is combination of buttons so easily discovered by hyper kid that can erase the entire touchpad. Guessing there might be no way to disable this behavior but as you said it really is scary. Moral I guess is be careful who you let mess with your touchpad and make backups on a regular basis.

It's the same as the reset descibed in Palm kb article 23197 "TouchPad - Restarting and resetting your device" under heading "Perform a full erase when the screen is dark or touchscreen doesn’t respond" States there to "Press and hold Option + Sym + power button and continue holding for 10 seconds after the Full Erase screen appears.", where presumably Option=Center and Sym=volume up.

I just tried it as I had to see how it worked and confirm it was the screen my daughter say (it was). It only take 6 seconds, a screen comes up with black background and is blank except fof the below (could not find a way to get a screen shot of it). You can see for yourself but be very careful to let go of the buttons before it counts down. Do it at your own risk, don't blame me if you erase your touchpad!

At the top are the words "Full Erase" in large white letters

Below that is a light triangle warning sign symbol with an exclamation point in it.

Below that states "Continue holding for 6 seconds..." which immediately starts counting down (5, 4, 3...) If you continue to hold for 6 seconds the fat lady sings.

Below that "Erases applications you installed and all your files on the USB drive."

Actually my new theory is there is a way to trigger this behavior with an odd combination of bluetooth keyboard keys. My daughter's friend was holding both the touchpad and the bluetooth keyboards. To me it seems MUCH more likely to me that she mashed a cluster of keyboard keys (likely towards whichever edge she was gripping the keyboard by) which triggered this than that she held down power, center and volume up on the touchpad accidentally. I played around a bit holding down the keyboard power and pressing some random buttons on the top row and was able to bring up the reset option menu although it's kind of random not 100% reproducible. I would bet real money that there is a way to trigger this from the bluetooth keyboard but am a bit scared to test in case there is no way to stop the countdown once it starts. Maybe once I get a good backup.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Yes it's different. I probably shouldn't have posted it in this thread but didn't know what the issue was when first discovered and had recently read this thread so posted here.

I'm not thrilled that there is combination of buttons so easily discovered by hyper kid that can erase the entire touchpad. Guessing there might be no way to disable this behavior but as you said it really is scary. Moral I guess is be careful who you let mess with your touchpad and make backups on a regular basis.

It's the same as the reset descibed in Palm kb article 23197 "TouchPad - Restarting and resetting your device" under heading "Perform a full erase when the screen is dark or touchscreen doesn’t respond" States there to "Press and hold Option + Sym + power button and continue holding for 10 seconds after the Full Erase screen appears.", where presumably Option=Center and Sym=volume up.

I just tried it as I had to see how it worked and confirm it was the screen my daughter say (it was). It only take 6 seconds, a screen comes up with black background and is blank except fof the below (could not find a way to get a screen shot of it). You can see for yourself but be very careful to let go of the buttons before it counts down. Do it at your own risk, don't blame me if you erase your touchpad!

At the top are the words "Full Erase" in large white letters

Below that is a light triangle warning sign symbol with an exclamation point in it.

Below that states "Continue holding for 6 seconds..." which immediately starts counting down (5, 4, 3...) If you continue to hold for 6 seconds the fat lady sings.

Below that "Erases applications you installed and all your files on the USB drive."

Actually my new theory is there is a way to trigger this behavior with an odd combination of bluetooth keyboard keys. My daughter's friend was holding both the touchpad and the bluetooth keyboards. To me it seems MUCH more likely to me that she mashed a cluster of keyboard keys (likely towards whichever edge she was gripping the keyboard by) which triggered this than that she held down power, center and volume up on the touchpad accidentally. I played around a bit holding down the keyboard power and pressing some random buttons on the top row and was able to bring up the reset option menu although it's kind of random not 100% reproducible. I would bet real money that there is a way to trigger this from the bluetooth keyboard but am a bit scared to test in case there is no way to stop the countdown once it starts. Maybe once I get a good backup.
    I actually though about combination of BT keyboard keys + other physical buttons of the TP. I was like 15 feet away when the incident happened. I didn't rush when he was panicking and calling my attention. When I got to the touchpad, I saw the triangle with exclamation point the it shutdown (It seems the countdown just ended).

Anyway, the only difference between your incident and mine was my friend was not even using the BT keyboard but it was only paired at that time. I'm a 100% that in my case, the combination buttons of power, volume, home, etc was never pressed. As a matter of fact, he wasn't pressing any single physical button - all his hands are touching just the touchscreen while playing dukenukem.

Right now, I'm planning to do a full restore using doctor as I just got home.

This is kinda scary. I actually lost most of my photos in there (taken from the TP camera) which is not that important. Good thing I didn't put any valuable documents in there.

This serves a lesson for me, I will just store stuff on my TP that are not important. If ever I'm going to put anything important, I'll make sure that there are backup.

The most shameful thing is actually, I was bragging the TP with my friends at that time. Oh snap!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I actually haven't because as of now its still very early to tell that it was the kindle app that caused the issue. However, for now, after doing doctor, I will not install the kindle app sideloading hack and let it run as see if it will happen again.
    Well, there is a volume up button, a "cards" button, and a power button, all on the bt keyboard. Do these together produce the same result?
    Quote Originally Posted by keplenk View Post
    I actually though about combination of BT keyboard keys + other physical buttons of the TP. I was like 15 feet away when the incident happened. I didn't rush when he was panicking and calling my attention. When I got to the touchpad, I saw the triangle with exclamation point the it shutdown (It seems the countdown just ended).

Anyway, the only difference between your incident and mine was my friend was not even using the BT keyboard but it was only paired at that time. I'm a 100% that in my case, the combination buttons of power, volume, home, etc was never pressed. As a matter of fact, he wasn't pressing any single physical button - all his hands are touching just the touchscreen while playing dukenukem.

Right now, I'm planning to do a full restore using doctor as I just got home.

This is kinda scary. I actually lost most of my photos in there (taken from the TP camera) which is not that important. Good thing I didn't put any valuable documents in there.

This serves a lesson for me, I will just store stuff on my TP that are not important. If ever I'm going to put anything important, I'll make sure that there are backup.

The most shameful thing is actually, I was bragging the TP with my friends at that time. Oh snap!
    We also lost all the pictures taken with the touchpad camera and a handful of files that weren't critical. Also had to reinstall all the applications and preware stuff. I am determined to apply logic to this and really jumping beyond what I know for a a fact. You comments that your incident seemed to happen without either the "vulcan nerve pinch" or smashing bluetooth keyboard keys is giving me pause.

Let's see what I actually know. Listing it below, at this point not sure what else I can do to determine the root cause of this. If I can't then obviously is will be difficult to trust the TP with anything important as you said.

1)My daughters friend was holding the touchpad and keyboard at the time it happened but not actively using it.
    2)The touchpad made some sort of alert sound at least two times which drew their attention to it
    3)When they then looked at the touchpad, my daughter was able to describe the screen with the triangle exclamation mark well enough for me to track it down with google.
    4)Reportedly they saw the notice to "continue holding" to reset and my daughter said her friend had commented something along the lines "continue what? I'm not doing anything!" Now obviously I hadn't had much faith that this was true based on my previous experience with the friend but to be fair all I know for a FACT is she denied doing anything, not that she did or didn't.
    5)I was able to reproduce the screen with the aforementioned button sequence and my daughter verified it was what she saw.
    6)The touchpad WAS fully erased as described on the screen, applications and USB drive data. Some odd bit weren't fully nuked such as the "just type" modification I'd done but essentially all was gone.
    7)I am able to hold down the power button on they bluetooth keyboard and bring up the advanced reset options menu which, perhaps incorrectly, led me to jump to the conclusion that a keyboard key sequence could also trigger the full erase scenario but have been unable to prove it as of yet.
    Last edited by texasflood; 09/25/2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    have any of you contacted the dev to help isolate and debug the issue yet?
    If you mean the dev of the kindle side loading script then I have not since I have not loaded it so it can't have caused my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.rosenfelder View Post
    Well, there is a volume up button, a "cards" button, and a power button, all on the bt keyboard. Do these together produce the same result?
    When I tried it this and other sequences, no, did not do this. At this point there is no proof that a bluetooth keyboard key sequence can cause this, it's really more my extreme desire for a clean logical solution that fits the facts than any real proof,
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    We also lost all the pictures taken with the touchpad camera and a handful of files that weren't critical. Also had to reinstall all the applications and preware stuff. I am determined to apply logic to this and really jumping beyond what I know for a a fact. You comments that your incident seemed to happen without either the "vulcan nerve pinch" or smashing bluetooth keyboard keys is giving me pause.

Let's see what I actually know. Listing it below, at this point not sure what else I can do to determine the root cause of this. If I can't then obviously is will be difficult to trust the TP with anything important as you said.

1)My daughters friend was holding the touchpad and keyboard at the time it happened but not actively using it.
    2)The touchpad made some sort of alert sound at least two times which drew their attention to it
    3)When they then looked at the touchpad, my daughter was able to describe the screen with the triangle exclamation mark well enough for me to track it down with google.
    4)Reportedly they saw the notice to "continue holding" to reset and my daughter said her friend had commented something along the lines "continue what? I'm not doing anything!" Now obviously I hadn't had much faith that this was true based on my previous experience with the friend but to be fair all I know for a FACT is she denied doing anything, not that she did or didn't.
    5)I was able to reproduce the screen with the aforementioned button sequence and my daughter verified it was what she saw.
    6)The touchpad WAS fully erased as described on the screen, applications and USB drive data. Some odd bit weren't fully nuked such as the "just type" modification I'd done but essentially all was gone.
    7)I am able to hold down the power button on they bluetooth keyboard and bring up the advanced reset options menu which, perhaps incorrectly, led me to jump to the conclusion that a keyboard key sequence could also trigger the full erase scenario but have been unable to prove it as of yet.
    Oh I forgot to mention some other info regarding the difference/similarity between your experience and mine.

My friend is not sure if heard any alert type of sound. However, the volume was turned down (50% volume) and he can't remember. But I think he's pretty much sure there are no alert sound.

He also had the same reaction as your daughter "continue holding what?"

I find it funny because my friend was like holding his hands up (like what the cop will tell you if they want to arrest you) - shouting .. CONTINUE HOLDING WHAT!

I think he peed his pants and though I was going to get mad. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by keplenk View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention some other info regarding the difference/similarity between your experience and mine.

My friend is not sure if heard any alert type of sound. However, the volume was turned down (50% volume) and he can't remember. But I think he's pretty much sure there are no alert sound.

He also had the same reaction as your daughter "continue holding what?"

I find it funny because my friend was like holding his hands up (like what the cop will tell you if they want to arrest you) - shouting .. CONTINUE HOLDING WHAT!

I think he peed his pants and though I was going to get mad. lol
    After thinking about the "alert" my daughter reported, I suspect it was the pulsing sound of the volume up key being pressed since this is after all one of the required keys in the sequence. Still haven't put it all together but getting there one small bit at a time. Thanks for your input, every little bit helps.

That is funny about the raised hands because I actually asked my daughter if her friend might have held her hands up since I think that might be my reaction and wondered if she might have. She did not, or it went un-noticed, I was hoping that might provide proof that she could not have been holding any buttons but unfortunately in my case could not confirm that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast