Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Some app names are not good or truncated. Say you want to rename the N64 emulator app from 'mupen64plus' to 'N64 Games'. Well now you can.

From hunting around in internalz I discovered how...

Go to: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

In this folder you will see all your installed apps listed by folder. Click on the folder of the app you want to rename. In the folder you will see the file called appinfo.json. Tap on it and tap on open in the pop up menu. Find the line eg: "title": "mupen64plus", and change it to what you want eg: "title": "N64 Games",

Save the file and then close and reboot to see changes. Luna restart is enough.
    Nice find! Thanks for sharing.
    So when you Just Type the app name, does it recognize the new one or onlly the original name?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    So when you Just Type the app name, does it recognize the new one or onlly the original name?
    It recognises the new name so all is good :-)
    Is there a way to edit what keywords bring up the app in the synergy search?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Is there a way to edit what keywords bring up the app in the synergy search?
    Yes. In the same appinfo.json file just add the following line or modify it if it already exits:

"keywords":["Spaz", "Spaz HD", "spz", "Twitter", "Tweet", "Chat", "statusnet", "identica", "identi.ca", "status", "microblogging"],

The above is an example for Spaz HD.
    sledge007 and Sukiyaki like this.
    do you do this when you are hooked up to computer or do you do this straight on touchpad.
    Any chance this could break things if you update an app?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    @froggys: You do everything direct from the app called Internalz Pro. Just make sure you choose save file from the top left corner menu each time and then close file. Reboot is needed to see changes.

@Kitsunisan: Have no idea. Yet to try it.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Undoubtedly yes. Messing with a developer's appinfo.json--which they very specifically create themselves--is basically f'ing with the very identity of the application as it compares to the application that sits on the App Catalog's servers.

Let me put it succinctly: It's REALLY not smart to be screwing with this file, especially for something as minor as "renaming an app."

Ask the app developer if they're open to changing the name of their application, but never, ever screw with anything under /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/. Ever.
    Yes it may not be wise to mess with any file but you could always keep a record of the original name in case you want to change it back prior to an update.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Thanks for a developer's point of view.

Well I just did a test. I found an app on the HP App Store that I definitely changed the app name and I tapped on Launch and the app launched no problem. Phew! So I think the app store would see no problem in recognising an altered app name and thus updating/launching it. It must be getting the info from somewhere else in the json file.
    Quote Originally Posted by tboy2000 View Post
    Thanks for a developer's point of view.

Well I just did a test. I found an app on the HP App Store that I definitely changed the app name and I tapped on Launch and the app launched no problem. Phew! So I think the app store would see no problem in recognising an altered app name and thus updating/launching it. It must be getting the info from somewhere else in the json file.
    Launching and updating might be two different things. I'd like to know if I changed the name of an app from the App Store, would this prevent the App Store from updating it?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Launching and updating might be two different things. I'd like to know if I changed the name of an app from the App Store, would this prevent the App Store from updating it?
    As soon as I get an update notification for an app I will test it and report back :-)
    what about changing names of links that show up in favorites...?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    To change the name of a link/website already in your bookmarks list, tap on the "i" round icon next to your link. A pop up will show with the current link title and the url. Tap on the title and edit the name.

To change the title of a link/website already in your favorites tab, tap on the icon to launch that website. Next add it to launcher again. Yes I know you already have it in your favorites tab. In the pop up rename the title of the link by tapping on the current title and confirm it by adding to launcher. Go back to you favorites tab and delete your old link with the old name.
    worked like charm ... Thx
    completely diff que. Where do I download mupen64plus?
    Thanks for this.
    Is there any way to rename browser shortcuts on the launcher/desktop?

CJ
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat_jake View Post
    Thanks for this.
    Is there any way to rename browser shortcuts on the launcher/desktop?

CJ
    Did u really miss it? Look four posts up. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tboy2000 View Post
    Did u really miss it? Look four posts up. :-)
    Nah man, not the same thing.
    Figured it out now anyway.
    When you add the shortcut to the "launcher" you get the chance to edit it then, but after that you can't.

CJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast