Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was having a Skype chat with my touchpad, and I was told that my video was choppy and my voice was breaking up. I tested with Skype on my iPad and Facetime on the iPad and there were no problem, so I tested both devices with an internet speed test app and website.

    Speeds on both the TP and iPad were the same, but my pings on the touchpad ranged from 170-200+ ms vs. 16-20ms on the iPad (and android tablet and PC...).

    I'm assuming this is the problem with the Skype video. Has anyone else seen this? The problem only seems to be affecting the TP. :-(
  2. #2  
    i've noticed the TP browser is really really slow, i assumed it was just the webos browser
  3. #3  
    I get around a 40ms ping on my pc on a certain server and close to 300ms on my touchpad.
  4. #4  
    same here. I was planning to move the tp to a g only AP and see if that's going to help.
  5. #5  
    no probs here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    no probs here
    You were supporting the idea of high-ish pings. You have 134ms ping which is kinda high.
  7. #7  
    if you want to say that, then i guess it's kinda high...

    it's not "170-200+" and it's definitely not "around 300" though

    which was what the other complaints in this thread are.

    also i have like 5 other wifi's on my network

    i'm sure i could run 20 tests in a row and get a 70ms ping but i just ran it once for the sake of posting in this thread
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    You were supporting the idea of high-ish pings. You have 134ms ping which is kinda high.
    Yeah cut that in half and it is a good ping. My touchpad scored 208 ping while my macbook on wireless scored a 75 ping. Is this why the TP's browsing is dreadfully slow?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    no probs here
    100+ is high, but that could be normal for your connection. Anything above 20ms for me is unusual and all my devices are below that, except the Touchpad. I have a feeling that if we figure out why the pings are so high, we could solve a lot of speed issues with this device :-)
    MobileBill23 likes this.
  10. #10  
    i mean, my PC is 30ms..... 134 on the TP, both on wireless N.....


    so it is definitely slow. not sure why though.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  11. #11  
    Pings here in the 70-80ms range both on my touchpad and a wireless laptop, wired more like 70ms consistently so really very little variation here. Of course I do have QOS enabled on my router so might have something to do with it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Pings here in the 70-80ms range both on my touchpad and a wireless laptop, wired more like 70ms consistently so really very little variation here. Of course I do have QOS enabled on my router so might have something to do with it.
    QOS <might> have something to do with it, but we shouldn't need QOS in order to get the TP to work like other devices - if I tether it to my phone, I have no option for QOS.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbo View Post
    Yeah cut that in half and it is a good ping. My touchpad scored 208 ping while my macbook on wireless scored a 75 ping. Is this why the TP's browsing is dreadfully slow?
    14ms here, with 11.32 Mbps down and 1.74 Mbps up, per speedtest.net.

    I think with a little bit of tuning the bad scores could be improved drastically. I've been saying this a lot - my webOS devices were connected to my router at ridiculously low speeds. I changed the channel the router was using and all of a sudden my webOS devices connected at the top speed for my router.

    I found some tips for improving wireless performance online (for all devices, this wasn't webOS specific). Tried those as I felt they applied, which included changing the default channel the router uses. I can only assume there was interference with other electronics in my home that prevented a good connection.

    I should also note that I came across this as I was trying to figure out my desktop's abysmally poor video playback. It's a wired connection, but I was messing around with my router in the process when I noticed the speeds my wireless devices were connected at.

    So, end of the day, my TouchPad now outperforms my desktop in terms of flash performance and general web browsing (and possibly Skype - the picture got MUCH better now that the upload speed has improved).
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    i mean, my PC is 30ms..... 134 on the TP, both on wireless N.....


    so it is definitely slow. not sure why though.
    Interesting, I've run speedtest 7 times now, got 14ms pings 5 times and 16ms pings the other two.

    And I'm on wireless G.

    ETA: switched over to N to see what would happen, but got similar ping times (between 14 and 19ms).
    Last edited by MobileBill23; 09/24/2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: See post
  15. #15  
    Just ran a couple of test on my network.

    TP ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 376ms
    Ethernet XP Desktop IE 8 ~~~~ 50ms
    Wireless Win 7 Desktop IE 9 ~~ 49ms
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Interesting, I've run speedtest 7 times now, got 14ms pings 5 times and 16ms pings the other two.

    And I'm on wireless G.

    ETA: switched over to N to see what would happen, but got similar ping times (between 14 and 19ms).
    well in my defense i was streaming the bruins game live when i did it...

    i just used speedtest.net and i got 59ms

    i'll try changing the channel & seeing if that helps
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    well in my defense i was streaming the bruins game live when i did it...

    i just used speedtest.net and i got 59ms

    i'll try changing the channel & seeing if that helps
    Bruins?

    Really? I hope it was because they were playing a team you like! lol.

  18. #18  
    Just ran a quick test @ speedtest.net on the touchpad:

    102ms ping, 18.45 Mbps download speed, 5.00 Mbps upload speed...

    Same test on my PC a few seconds later:

    38ms ping, 19.74 Mbps download speed, 5.35 Mbps upload.

    So there certainly does seem to be a reasonably significant difference in ping, that shouldn't exist...

    What settings are you guys hitting super-low pings using on your wifi router?
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Just ran a quick test @ speedtest.net on the touchpad:

    102ms ping, 18.45 Mbps download speed, 5.00 Mbps upload speed...

    Same test on my PC a few seconds later:

    38ms ping, 19.74 Mbps download speed, 5.35 Mbps upload.

    So there certainly does seem to be a reasonably significant difference in ping, that shouldn't exist...

    What settings are you guys hitting super-low pings using on your wifi router?

    I used both G-only and N-only with WPA-2Only/AES security. Channel was set to channel 9 (ie, switched from the default). Transmission rate is set to auto. My router is a D-Link DIR-615 rev b.

    My TP is stock at 1.2ghz, with the logging patches and unthrottle download manager patch.
    Last edited by MobileBill23; 09/24/2011 at 04:13 PM.
  20. rbyrne's Avatar
    Posts
    252 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    #20  
    some interesting results for you.

    ping on standard browser... 223
    ping on advanced browser... 84
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions