Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    try Pingtest it's a little more detailed ping tool.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Just ran the same test on my TP and on an i5 4 core laptop. Both using the same wireless router.

Device Ping Upload Download
    TP 20 5.84 16.33
    I5 19 6.11 22.26

So, ping is about the same. I guess my laptop can process packets faster.

My TP is running at 1.5 and has logging set to minimum etc.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    some interesting results for you.

ping on standard browser... 223
    ping on advanced browser... 84
    Fascinating...

Just testing this as well - advance browser is -consistantly- 20-40 ms faster on ping than regular browser, and on my machine it seems to be registering about 1 extra Mbps worth of download speed.

I've run 10 test in both now, this is oddly verified by my small data set, and the difference seems big enough to call it more than a coincidence...

Why in the world would that be the case? Makes no sense.....
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Belkin Wireless Router. Set to channel 9, 802.11g, QoS enabled, WPA2-PSK. Static IP addressed assigned to TouchPad running Advanced Browser, dynamic IP address assigned to desktop PC running LMDE, Firefox 5.0. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test results:

TouchPad: Ping 36ms, Download Speed 12.41 Mbps, Upload Speed 4 Mbps
    PC: Ping 38ms, Download Speed 2.60 Mbps, Upload Speed 1.25 Mbps

Both devices are the same distance from the router. This puts egg on all of our faces. This will explain why some people are having horridenous load speeds with the TouchPad and some are not. There could just be some simple interference with your wifi router and other stuff around you. I live in a house on 1 acre of land. My nearest neighbor is a acre away from me. The only interference I have is with my own devices. Folks should also check their home phones (if they have them). They could cause interference with your router. If your neighbor has a similar router and it is on the same channel there could be interference also. Simply changing your channel would help out immensly.

BTW Just tried with regular TouchPad browser:

Ping 35ms, Download Speed 9.17 Mbps, Upload Speed 4.01 Mbps
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    :-( With that site I get close to 300ms pings - on the TP... :'(
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Belkin Wireless Router. Set to channel 9, 802.11g, QoS enabled, WPA2-PSK. Static IP addressed assigned to TouchPad running Advanced Browser, dynamic IP address assigned to desktop PC running LMDE, Firefox 5.0. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test results:

TouchPad: Ping 36ms, Download Speed 12.41 Mbps, Upload Speed 4 Mbps
    PC: Ping 38ms, Download Speed 2.60 Mbps, Upload Speed 1.25 Mbps

Both devices are the same distance from the router. This puts egg on all of our faces. This will explain why some people are having horridenous load speeds with the TouchPad and some are not. There could just be some simple interference with your wifi router and other stuff around you. I live in a house on 1 acre of land. My nearest neighbor is a acre away from me. The only interference I have is with my own devices. Folks should also check their home phones (if they have them). They could cause interference with your router. If your neighbor has a similar router and it is on the same channel there could be interference also. Simply changing your channel would help out immensly.

BTW Just tried with regular TouchPad browser:

Ping 35ms, Download Speed 9.17 Mbps, Upload Speed 4.01 Mbps
    I'm sure we can force our routers to be configured to better optimize the TP network results, but why is that even necessary when all other devices work fine? I'm at my parents place and getting the same crappy pings on the TP, while my IPad is scoring great results. :-(
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    The results from this were horrible:

TouchPad using Advanced Browser, Ping 336ms, Jitter 50ms
    LMDE using Firefox 5.0, Ping 41ms, Jitter 9ms
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    :-( With that site I get close to 300ms pings - on the TP... :'(
    i think the TP just can't process the data/packets fast enough..but i wonder if it's because the CPU takes a bit long to up-clock itself which then causes delay in latency.

is there a way to force CPU to stay at rated clock speeds? if so, then try running ping tool.
    I just did a iPhone 4 and TP comparison

iPhone 4 52ms
    TP 217ms

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    I'm sure we can force our routers to be configured to better optimize the TP network results, but why is that even necessary when all other devices work fine? I'm at my parents place and getting the same crappy pings on the TP, while my IPad is scoring great results. :-(
    Your reply makes no sense. There are no magic bullet settings specifically for better TouchPad results. These settings are for better network results altogether. I had the some issues with my Playstation 3 because of the distance it is from the router. After applying some new settings it worked and all my devices improved a little. What if the shoe were on the other foot and someone told you to do this for your iPad? Would there be any complaints about doing it then?
    i think the TP just can't process the data/packets fast enough..but i wonder if it's because the CPU takes a bit long to up-clock itself which then causes delay in latency.

is there a way to force CPU to stay at rated clock speeds? if so, then try running ping tool.
    Used Govnah to force clock speed to 1.5Ghz minimum and maximum in performance mode. Nearly the same results from pingtest:

Ping 305ms, Jitter 71ms
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    How are you iDevice owners running pingtest.net? It requires Flash. I would like to know so I can test it on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    some interesting results for you.

ping on standard browser... 223
    ping on advanced browser... 84
    I ran speedtest.net using advanced browser earlier in my posts, just ran it in the stock browser and got between 15-21ms pings.
    Just ran the tests via speednet on the tp, a 3gs and a mac pro and they were roughly the same, with a ping of 55mss.

Could be down to the router. I'm using a Cisco 1240

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    How are you iDevice owners running pingtest.net? It requires Flash. I would like to know so I can test it on my Pre.
    I think they've got an app that just tells them their ping time was 0ms.

Seriously, the one thing that's getting lost here is that we don't know how some of these tests were done. I'm wondering if it would make sense to just open a command prompt on my desktop and use the ping command to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Pings here in the 70-80ms range both on my touchpad and a wireless laptop, wired more like 70ms consistently so really very little variation here. Of course I do have QOS enabled on my router so might have something to do with it.
    Depends on WHAT you're pinging, of course. For my earlier test, I just pinged google. Seeing some speedtest.net results, I ran that from my touchpad and got 18ms ping, 16.01Mbps download and 3.99Mbps upload. Don't know why some folks are seeing above 100ms pings on their touchpads but I certainly am not seeing it. Oh, that was with advanced browser, on standard I got 15ms ping, 16.84Mbps download and 4.01mbps upload.
    Also icmp ping is not a priority so a pc might handle different than tablet*

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
  18.    #38  
    Your reply makes no sense. There are no magic bullet settings specifically for better TouchPad results. These settings are for better network results altogether. I had the some issues with my Playstation 3 because of the distance it is from the router. After applying some new settings it worked and all my devices improved a little. What if the shoe were on the other foot and someone told you to do this for your iPad? Would there be any complaints about doing it then?
    I'm saying that for the vast majority of us, it seems the touchpad is the only lagger... I want to know why and how we can fix it on the device end. Tweaking MY router isn't going to help me at a public hotspot or office.

If the same problem existed on any of my devices, I would post my query on a relevant support page or forum to see if anyone can explain it. I'm not hating on the Touchpad, but this problem makes using Skype video impossible for me to use.
    Not entirely sure if this would help but you could try using the Unthrottle Download patch which stops the TouchPad from limiting the connection speed to 60 or 100 KB/s to save battery power.
    I'm saying that for the vast majority of us, it seems the touchpad is the only lagger... I want to know why and how we can fix it on the device end. Tweaking MY router isn't going to help me at a public hotspot or office.

If the same problem existed on any of my devices, I would post my query on a relevant support page or forum to see if anyone can explain it. I'm not hating on the Touchpad, but this problem makes using Skype video impossible for me to use.
    That's understandable. We are all looking for the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast