1.    #1  
    Battery Monitor is showing I'm using 12-13% battery with just one card open browsing this forum on Palm Default kernel.

I have preware and the recommended speed patches installed. WiFi on and BT off with no notifications and brightness 0-20% (doesn't make much difference).

Dr. Battery says 95% health, Manufacturer Rating 6612 mAh and Calculated Left 6281 mAh.

I'm wondering if this is normal or not considering people are saying they're at 50% brightness or more and only losing 10% an hour.

Sorry for making another battery thread but I'm going crazy over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence11 View Post
    Battery Monitor is showing I'm using 12-13% battery with just one card open browsing this forum on Palm Default kernel.

I have preware and the recommended speed patches installed. WiFi on and BT off with no notifications and brightness 0-20% (doesn't make much difference).

Dr. Battery says 95% health, Manufacturer Rating 6612 mAh and Calculated Left 6281 mAh.

I'm wondering if this is normal or not considering people are saying they're at 50% brightness or more and only losing 10% an hour.

Sorry for making another battery thread but I'm going crazy over this.
    I think you have nothing to worry about. I'm a little obsessed with my battery also but 12-13%/hr drain seem quite normal especially while you are browsing the web.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i would not pay too much attention to battery monitoring apps as i think they're fairly inaccurate but the real question is how long is it lasting?

i mean you should have a general ideas of how much battery is being used per hour by keeping an eye taskbar while using the device.. the point is are you getting at least 8 hours of use? even if the battery monitor is right, at 12% per hour it sounds to me as you'll get about 8 hours of use which is what the device battery was rated at iirc.

if you want to help make the battery last long (life) don't wait until battery is dead (at least 5%-10% battery left) and don't constantly put the device on/off charger unless needed; especially if the device is hot after long use, wait until it cools down before putting on charger.
    Last edited by rs4ftw; 09/23/2011 at 05:18 PM.
    just did a quick watch of my battery drain

it drained at a rate of 1% every 9 minutes with nothing open
    and 1% every 5 minutes with just the stock browser open

wifi on, notifications off, screen brightness about 2 clicks under 50%

does this to be excesive drain by most accounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by musick View Post
    just did a quick watch of my battery drain

it drained at a rate of 1% every 9 minutes with nothing open
    and 1% every 5 minutes with just the stock browser open

wifi on, notifications off, screen brightness about 2 clicks under 50%

does this to be excesive drain by most accounts?
    I'd say so since mine drained 11% overnight. Not sure what the deal is, you might want to bring up xterm from xecutah & run top to look for any processes sucking up your CPU.

Here is what mine looks like now. TouchpadTop092311.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I'd say so since mine drained 11% overnight. Not sure what the deal is, you might want to bring up xterm from xecutah & run top to look for any processes sucking up your CPU.

damn, that doesn't sound good (for me)
    I don't know what xterm or xecutah are ... I assume they are preware modifications
    I don't have preware installed on my machine
    the only tweak I ever made was to minimize logging

does this make the battery drain even more troubling? or would having preware installed solve some of the issues with possible background processes draining the battery?
  7.    #7  

I'm the OP and would like to check my processes as well. I got Xecutah and started Xserver but I have no idea how to get any further. I just see a black X cursor that I can move around. Is there a guide? Google failed me.

EDIT: Figured it out.
    Last edited by Pestilence11; 09/23/2011 at 10:19 PM.
    I'm the OP and would like to check my processes as well. I got Xecutah and started Xserver but I have no idea how to get any further. I just see a black X cursor that I can move around. Is there a guide? Google failed me.
    Just type "top" (not including quotes) and hit return. This is the top command, a frequently-updated list of 'top' processes familiar to anyone having used a unix-like O.S. Use control-c to end.
  9.    #9  
    Just type "top" (not including quotes) and hit return. This is the top command, a frequently-updated list of 'top' processes familiar to anyone having used a unix-like O.S. Use control-c to end.
    I edited my post. I didn't start Xterm after XServer. Once I clued in I had no problems. I see cpu% and mem% but don't know what the others like PRPRPR, $NI$, $VIRT$, $RES$ $etc$. $mean$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $familiar$ $with$ $anything$ $but$ $Windows$ $unfortunately$.
    I edited my post. I didn't start Xterm after XServer. Once I clued in I had no problems. I see cpu% and mem% but don't know what the others like PRPRPR, $NI$, $VIRT$, $RES$ $etc$. $mean$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $familiar$ $with$ $anything$ $but$ $Windows$ $unfortunately$.
    Well you don't necessarily need to know what all those mean but if you're interested there are plenty of man page type explanations out there about top, like this one.
  11.    #11  
    Well you don't necessarily need to know what all those mean but if you're interested there are plenty of man page type explanations out there about top, like this one.
    Thanked. My screen seems insanely bright so there's no way I could have it cranked to 50% let alone 100% so maybe that's why my battery is draining faster. I really don't know but having just one card open to this forum shouldn't draw 13%.