View Poll Results: Anyone think it's absurd that Touchpad is the only tablet OS unable to read SD cards?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    44 38.60%
  • NO

    70 61.40%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Anyone think it's absurd that Touchpad is the
    only tablet OS unable to read SD cards?

    With a SD card reader, Apple iOS iPads can...
    Android tablet can.... (some Android tablets
    even have the readers built-in)
  2. #2  
    Touchpad isn't an OS. Touchpad is hardware...the OS is webOS which is software. I don't have a particular need for an sd card slot but I'm sure there are some who do. IPods also don't have sd slots.
  3. #3  
    Believe it or not, there are Android tablets that can't use SD cards right now.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/23/2011 at 09:03 AM.
  4. #4  
    You could use something like dropbox to store your files. But yeah, kind of limiting not having a slot.
  5. #5  
    I don't think it is a huge deal. If you need more memory, sure, but I don't store everything on my TouchPad. Music/Movies are all on my phone. TouchPad is for apps.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. #6  
    or 50 gb of box.net Whoa a instant SD card of 50 gig! heheh
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    retroblu likes this.
  7. #7  
    but it can read sd cards. its a hassle right now but will get easier.
  8. #8  
    How?

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  9. #9  
    A friend of mine was really interested in getting one.

    The conversation went like this...
    Her. "Can I plug in my camera memory card and download the photo's?"
    Me. "No"

    I could have told her to modify an OTG USB cable, install Xecutah, run terminal, mount the USB card and add some symbolic links, but I dont think she'd be convinced.
    vanzanthp, DeadVim and fsx100 like this.
  10. #10  
    It's not a big deal, if don't take pictures. However, since I do a lot of photography when I travel, it probably means that I will leave the TP at home, and take my netbook or laptop instead.

    To not offer powered USB host support and video out seems really short-sighted and limiting in the long run.

    At least Apple offers that option with the SD/USB adapter for the iPad.
  11. #11  
    You are wrong.
    iPad cannot read SD cards.
    Touchpad CAN read SD cards but you need the right USB cable and power for the USB card reader. I successfully read from SD cards attached via USB to Touchpad last night.
    Touchpad is in its first generation and in this sense it is much better than iPad (first generation).

    I am a owner of iPad Touchpad iPhone 4 HTC Surround (window phone 7) and Samsung Captivate (android). I have to admit that Touchpad gives me the most excitements. This thing supports FLASH plays DVD files directly and has USB host functionality in its first generation.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post
    It's not a big deal, if don't take pictures. However, since I do a lot of photography when I travel, it probably means that I will leave the TP at home, and take my netbook or laptop instead.

    To not offer powered USB host support and video out seems really short-sighted and limiting in the long run.

    At least Apple offers that option with the SD/USB adapter for the iPad.
    then it's simple... sell your Touchpad and go buy a iPad.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    You are wrong.
    iPad cannot read SD cards.
    Touchpad CAN read SD cards but you need the right USB cable and power for the USB card reader. I successfully read from SD cards attached via USB to Touchpad last night.
    Touchpad is in its first generation and in this sense it is much better than iPad (first generation).

    I am a owner of iPad Touchpad iPhone 4 HTC Surround (window phone 7) and Samsung Captivate (android). I have to admit that Touchpad gives me the most excitements. This thing supports FLASH plays DVD files directly and has USB host functionality in its first generation.
    The TP can read SD cards through a convoluted process...the iPad does it through a $29 adapter combo, but part of that combo also included a USB adapter, so if your camera doesn't support SD, it can use USB.

    Considering the TP came out during the second generation of the iPad, it's a frankly stupid oversight. Sure, it can be done, but Apple just makes it simple, most everyone else makes it harder (powered hub, FW update, KB dock, the Toshiba Thrive can do it OTB, but it's thick as hell).
  14. #14  
    Youre right it would be nice to have an sd card slot and an hdmi but i have all of that on my laptop and i barely use it. If you do alot of photography do this... Use the sd card slot in your phone and upload to box.net and then download to your touchpad.
  15. #15  
    Nope, I have no need for it. If I want to send files or pictures to it I can send it to the cloud, hook it up to the PC or email it. Plenty of on board storage for me.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    then it's simple... sell your Touchpad and go buy a iPad.
    If I felt it worthy of spending that much on a tablet, then yeah, I would get an iPad 2, it's simply the superior tablet and OS. However, for $150, the TP is pretty nice.

    But for the prices HP was originally charging, and considering what it was competing against, it doesn't compare. Even the iPad 1 supported the SD/USB adapter, the adapter which came out last year, I think HP really expected the TP to sell without any effort.

    And I'm also a Pre+ owner, so I'm well versed on the benefits and issues of webOS. I love the cards paradigm and Synergy, but I can at least admit it's faults, without going "well, why don't you just buy xxx?". I had the opportunity to get an Android phone over it, I just prefer webOS (over el Goog and iOS), but some the issues are glaring.
  17. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #17  
    The kernel in the touchpad does have sd card drivers which have not been implemented at this stage, probably because HP planned on selling their own version of usb otg cables in the future. As others have stated, neither the ipad nor the samsung galaxy tab support sd card input.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
  18. #18  
    i can live without it, the mroe absurd thing is we cant bluetooth othe rpeople stuff yet we can recieve off them, makes you look a bit of a fool when some1 else beams u somethign and they ask for somethign back and you say "erm actually our tablet/phone cant do that"
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post
    The TP can read SD cards through a convoluted process...the iPad does it through a $29 adapter combo, but part of that combo also included a USB adapter, so if your camera doesn't support SD, it can use USB.

    Considering the TP came out during the second generation of the iPad, it's a frankly stupid oversight. Sure, it can be done, but Apple just makes it simple, most everyone else makes it harder (powered hub, FW update, KB dock, the Toshiba Thrive can do it OTB, but it's thick as hell).
    It's not an oversight, HP was stupid. And just because the iPad has an adapter doesn't make it okay because that is extra money you have to spend to accomplish something that apparently should be standard in tablets.

    The bottom line is that TP does does support SD card reading through a bunch of dongles but had HP just provided a neater way of accomplishing this (similar to the iPad camera connection kit) it would be more convenient but some people would still complain about having to spend extra money blah blah. Ultimately, people will always find something to complain about.
    I am, therefore I think
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post
    ... Apple just makes it simple, most everyone else makes it harder (powered hub, FW update, KB dock, the Toshiba Thrive can do it OTB, but it's thick as hell).
    Well, looking a little deeper at the most popular (ish) of the 'everyone else', I don't agree:

    Motorola Xoom: wasn't working on release in US, was working in release in UK and everywhere else. So, yes, FW update in the US, but that brought other benefits and since FW updates are over the air on Android this isn't a big deal. Just plug in the card. Future versions will doubtless support this out the box everywhere.

    Asus Transformer: yes, via the keyboard, but this is the big attraction of the Transformer so not a big deal. Bear in mind that the Transformer with its keyboard is cheaper than the equivalent iPad 2.

    Toshiba Thrive: Just plug in the card. By all means rule out the Toshiba on other grounds, but that doesn't make using an SD card with it harder than on an iPad.

    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1: Via a USB adaptor, with SD card USB stick. The same price overall as the equivalent adapter on the iPad and providing full file access, not just to certain types of file. So the same as (not harder than) the iPad, but with more features.

    Acer Iconia A500 and A100: Just plug in the card.

    Sony S: Just plug in the card.

    Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 09/23/2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammar.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions