View Poll Results: Anyone think it's absurd that Touchpad is the only tablet OS unable to read SD cards?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    44 38.60%
  • NO

    70 61.40%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
Like Tree15Likes
  1. #21  
    I'd appreciate if people didn't lump all webOS fans together. That's like when people say all Apple users are sheep which is just untrue and insulting. Sure maybe the majority of webOS fans are in their own bubble or the majority of Apple users are sheep but don't act as if this a system of government and majority rules. This forum is about discussing webOS and trying to help one another and yet half the threads on here seem to be about pointless arguing and complaining.
    I am, therefore I think
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  2. #22  
    I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever needed ANY device to read SD cards (aside from my camera, and the card never comes out, I just transfer files directly from the camera via USB). What's the big deal? How much **** can you cram on to a TouchPad anyway?
  3. William13's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    No apps, I don't need a million fart apps. We have a browser, who need apps.
    I need apps, I want to do more than Web browsing.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    No back camera, it's stupid to take a picture with a tablet.
    The camera it does have, is so bad, I was I could remove it, and throw it away,
    they could have used a better camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    No HDMI, I don't need to connect my tablet to TV. It's useless.
    Yea that seems kinda useless, at least to me, but it could have been good
    for office presentation and such.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Too heavy, it's almost same weight as more than a year old ipad 1. You should work out.
    Yes it does feel heavy, BTW I often work building, construction, welding, and automotive
    jobs, and it feels a tad heavy to me, my netbook weighs about the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Too thick, same as above.
    Yep it is a little thick, even more so with the HP case.


    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Too plastic, it feels good when you are holding instead of other material.
    I dont care what its made from.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Too expensive, I would pay $1k for it.
    What?, it was a good deal at $150 for the 32gb unit.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Too many card error, it's your fault, i never had it, it never happened.
    I have never had one, but I close stuff out.


    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Gap between the plastic and screen, it's your fault, mine if perfect.
    Mine is perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Can't connect to home wifi, it's your fault.
    Cant copy and paste password, that sucks for us that use long passwords, and the onscreen keyboard makes it even harder typing that long password, but other than that it connects fine, at my house, but at a friends house, it would connect, but never use the internet, there router was setup correct, I did the setup, and other devices connect to that router without issue. BTW I also tried manual network settings on the Touchpad with no luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Burn spot on the screen, it's your fault.
    My screen is perfect except for one stuck pixel, no big deal

    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete
    I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever needed ANY device to read SD cards (aside from my camera, and the card never comes out, I just transfer files directly from the camera via USB). What's the big deal? How much **** can you cram on to a TouchPad anyway?
    I often take lots of pictures, and videos, if I use the camera to transfer files, it can take up to an hour, if I remove the SD card and use a card reader, the same files take less and a few minutes, I would love to be able to preview the camera videos and images on the Touchpad, I do wish the Touchpad had a card reader.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    ... (aside from my camera, and the card never comes out, I just transfer files directly from the camera via USB). What's the big deal? ...
    and how do you transfer the pictures to your TouchPad via USB?

    As time goes on, the need for an SD card slot will diminish, but for now, with network speeds still relatively slow, using a cloud service or doing a two part transfer via a PC is still enough of a pain to make an SD slot desirable.

    Spyke
  5. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    And just because the iPad has an adapter doesn't make it okay because that is extra money you have to spend to accomplish something that apparently should be standard in tablets.

    you realize a LOT of companies do this, right?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    you realize a LOT of companies do this, right?
    I'm not saying I disagree with it and yes I am aware that this happens all the time. My point was that people were complaining that the TouchPad doesn't natively read SD cards and the person I replied to pointed out that neither does the iPad 2 but it does have an adapter available.

    My point is that this adapter has not been available that long, it came out months after the iPad debuted. The TouchPad was out for less than 2 months and got canned so we may never know if HP had plans to create an adapter for SD card reading. Regardless though, support already exists for the TouchPad (via a modded method) so it is likely that a dongle would have been a conceivable accessory similar to the iPad camera connection kit.
    I am, therefore I think
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post


    Cant copy and paste password, that sucks for us that use long passwords, and the onscreen keyboard makes it even harder typing that long password, but other than that it connects fine, at my house, but at a friends house, it would connect, but never use the internet, there router was setup correct, I did the setup, and other devices connect to that router without issue. BTW I also tried manual network settings on the Touchpad with no luck.
    get securom 2 it allows copy and paste. I currently have a 20 digit key on my router. It's not harder to type it in. Just takes a tad longer.

    Not all routers are created equal. It could be that the router is using WPS which almost any tablet has issues with.. including the ipad.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  8. #28  
    Lacking the ability to read SD cards isn't a problem for me. It will probably show up at some point but doubt I'll use it even then.
  9. c2q
    c2q is offline
    c2q's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #29  
    wait is there an sd card reader built in to the touchpad??? Where?!
  10. #30  
    With my first two tablets only 4 to 8gb of storage, yes having a external sd card slot was a must. But with the TP having 16, 32 and 64gb plus the 50gb free online storage, its not a mandatory feature anymore imo. Yes it would be nice, but I'm perfectly fine without the slot.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    and how do you transfer the pictures to your TouchPad via USB?

    As time goes on, the need for an SD card slot will diminish, but for now, with network speeds still relatively slow, using a cloud service or doing a two part transfer via a PC is still enough of a pain to make an SD slot desirable.

    Spyke
    I'm not for or against the points in this thread, however, don't most people use their phones for point and shoot these days? A dimiishng minority are using 'real' cameras still, and in those cases where an sd card MUST be used, the TP probably isn't their first choice anyway.

    But for anyone with an Android or iOS based phone taking pictures and uploading via dropbox or box is simple and immediately availale on your tablet without any need for an sd card or USB cable. Simples.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  12. #32  
    Why does everyone love the iPad 2 so much? I've been using an iPhone for 4 years so when the iPad came out I thought it was so boring, being exactly like the iPhone. At least on android you can get different ROMs or UIs, with the iPad and iPhone it's like they're exactly the same.
    hagster likes this.
  13. #33  
    This is same thing for all the other stuffs that TP is lacking, yet webOS fans don't need it. So I guess HP is really target this tablet to only webOS fan.

    No apps, I don't need a million fart apps. We have a browser, who need apps.
    No back camera, it's stupid to take a picture with a tablet.
    No HDMI, I don't need to connect my tablet to TV. It's useless.
    Too heavy, it's almost same weight as more than a year old ipad 1. You should work out.
    Too thick, same as above.
    Too plastic, it feels good when you are holding instead of other material.
    Too expensive, I would pay $1k for it.
    Too many card error, it's your fault, i never had it, it never happened.
    Gap between the plastic and screen, it's your fault, mine if perfect.
    Can't connect to home wifi, it's your fault.
    Burn spot on the screen, it's your fault.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    IT'S YOUR FAULT!!
    How does this go from the lack of an SD card reader to yet another idiotic argument. You can look on the box or at the specs on the device and tell this stuff is not there before you buy it. I would like a BUILT IN SD card reader also, but I did a simple cost analysis on it. If it had a built in SD card reader the maximum storage space for me would have been 64gb, which is 32gb of onboard storage plus a 32gb SD card. I will not pay $130 for a 64gb card because I think that price is ridiculously high for a small amount of storage. I looked at my storage needs and discovered that I needed close to 500gb of storage which no tablet currently offers (except Archos who has crappy tech support). If I paid $200, which is just $70 more than the 64gb SD card, I can get a small, portable 500gb hard drive with a built in wireless hotspot and 5 hours of battery life to serve files to all of my devices (my phone, iPod, Android tablet, and TouchPad). So why did I need or want an SD card slot when other storage options are cheaper and more versatile?

    The rear camera is the dumbest thing I've seen. The number of people who will actually use it is minuscule. The same reviewers who complained about not having it were the same ones who called it useless on such a large device. I analyzed that also. I hardly use the camera on my phone and forget it's there. I tried to convince my wife (me being cheap) that we did not need a dedicated video camera or a dedicated still shot camera because we had those options built into our cell phones. You know what, cell phone and tablet cameras are crappy. Even the monster 8-10mp ones. A real digital camera takes better pictures, has better lenses, better zooming, and better flash capability. A real video camera has the same along with better storage options. I caved and bought both. I couldn't be happier. So was there really a need for the rear camera on a TouchPad for me? No. However, I wish HP would have spent the extra $4 to put the camera on there so I wouldn't have to here complaints about it from the same folks who ridiculed having one when the iPad 1 was out.

    I hate the fact that the TouchPad does not have HDMI out. Not because I want it, but because there is no wireless video out solution either. I would much rather have the wireless solution. My Android tablet has HDMI out. It only works for video, it's cumbersome to use, and has a horrible built in control method. I would have to buy a remote for my device to make it worthwhile. My wife and I watched a few movies from the Android tablet to our TV, got frustrated, and decided to move one of the video game consoles downstairs. Once again a wireless solution would be better.

    Apps! Everyone wants apps! However everyone wants specific apps. I would love for the TouchPad and webOS to have more apps. This was something I knew going into it. I own a Pre and read the reviews about the TouchPad which make it a point to mention the lack of apps. You need to look deeper into the arguments that we make. We want good quality apps like 3d games, productivity apps, and better multimedia support. We don't want a ton of fart apps, web site replacements (Bank of America, Huffington Post, etc), Flash site replacements, and we don't count themes or widgets as apps. Yes, we have a browser that can display Flash sites so why do we want Flash site replacements as apps?

    I am tired of the industry constantly changes the rules about what makes up a good device based on what one company offers and not what customers want or need. Thinnest and weight was not an issue until Apple users made it one. Now we are urging over a few ounces and less than a 1/4 of an inch thickness? I could understand if there was a pound or an inch difference. This is from people who demanded bigger and bigger screens on phones, laptops, and TVs.

    The arguments are so one sided with die hard Apple fans it makes me sick. You guys make stuff up as you go along. Windows Mobile 6 had thousands of apps. "Why do I want a ton of apps. I want a phone that is easy to use!" Then when the number of apps for iOS passed Windows Mobile apps became an issue? Hypocrites! "A 3.1 inch screen is too small and a 4.3 inch screen is too big, 4 inches is all a screen needs to be!" Why, because those are the dimensions of the iPhone. Then when rumors start to spread that Apple may make a smaller iPhone mini, the you folks gush over it. What happened to 3.1 inches being too small? Hypocrites!! "I know Android tablets have rear cameras. I don't care about the iPad not having a rear camera. I think it is dumb to have a rear camera on such a large device anyway." Then as soon as the iPad 2 is released with one, all of a sudden your tablet ain't ****** if it doesn't have one. H.Y.P.O.C.R.I.T.E.S.!! The TouchPad has wireless charging, which is something us webOS folks love and is highly functional. "Why do I need that? I can just charge it using my chord anyway." I remember the same argument between the Pre and the original iPhone. Then as soon as someone made a cumbersome wireless charging pad and solution for the iPhone and other device they flew off the shelves. Someone finds an Apple patent for a Touchstone like device and Apple fans go gaga over it. HYPOCRITE!!

    It's not that the TouchPad could be lighter or thinner. That would be nice. It's not that the TouchPad couldn't use a few more apps or peripherals. That would also be nice. I hate arguing with hypocritical people. This stuff only matters if an iDevice has it. It doesn't matter if it does not and you get upset with us?

    BTW, to the Android guys: Fix the damned UI, Fix the battery issues, Fix the OS forking, Clean up the Market, Allow us to use windows or cards (like most Linux based OSes), Give us hardware and software solutions that actually work without hacking and you will be golden in my book.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    c000, midas69, izzeho and 2 others like this.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Too expensive, I would pay $1k for it.
    LOL! Funniest comment on this website.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I'm not for or against the points in this thread, however, don't most people use their phones for point and shoot these days? A dimiishng minority are using 'real' cameras still, and in those cases where an sd card MUST be used, the TP probably isn't their first choice anyway.
    The SD card option would be so you could quickly view your photos on the TP, not take them on a TP camera.

    EDIT: sorry, I might have misunderstood your point. If you're saying they'd be using phones and so wouldn't be using an SD card, fair enough (though my phone does have an SD card).

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    But for anyone with an Android or iOS based phone taking pictures and uploading via dropbox or box is simple and immediately availale on your tablet without any need for an sd card or USB cable. Simples.
    Simple, yes. But as we noted above uploading in particular is still not anywhere near as quick as copying a folder across from an SD card - or even simply viewing the pictures in situ on the card.

    Seriously, if you've taken 100 pictures of your recent holiday at 3 to 5 MB each they are not 'immediately' available via Dropbox. That day will come, but with the web speeds around here it's not dawned yet.

    And in all three of the situations where this has happened to me so far, where we've had a tablet (iPad twice, TouchPad once) in our hands, the photos we wanted to view were on someone else's camera.

    Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 09/24/2011 at 02:51 PM.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevind123 View Post
    Why does everyone love the iPad 2 so much? I've been using an iPhone for 4 years so when the iPad came out I thought it was so boring, being exactly like the iPhone. At least on android you can get different ROMs or UIs, with the iPad and iPhone it's like they're exactly the same.
    Same story, different thread. How many roms can you sideload without rooting? I can sideload many roms as well by jailbreaking an iPad. They aren't true roms, more themes, but the essence of Android can be installed on any iPad. Point is, either way to get full customization on either android or iOS, you have to root/jailbreak.

    Additionally, if you have a galaxy s, what's the point of buying a galaxy tab? Boring, right?
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post

    And in all three of the situations where this has happened to me so far, where we've had a tablet (iPad twice, TouchPad once) in our hands, the photos we wanted to view were on someone else's camera.

    Spyke
    good point. Didn't think about pics on someone else's camera. SD card really is the best way in those circumstances.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  18. #38  
    The SD card option would be so you could quickly view your photos on the TP, not take them on a TP camera.

    EDIT: sorry, I might have misunderstood your point. If you're saying they'd be using phones and so wouldn't be using an SD card, fair enough (though my phone does have an SD card).



    Simple, yes. But as we noted above uploading in particular is still not anywhere near as quick as copying a folder across from an SD card - or even simply viewing the pictures in situ on the card.

    Seriously, if you've taken 100 pictures of your recent holiday at 3 to 5 MB each they are not 'immediately' available via Dropbox. That day will come, but with the web speeds around here it's not dawned yet.

    And in all three of the situations where this has happened to me so far, where we've had a tablet (iPad twice, TouchPad once) in our hands, the photos we wanted to view were on someone else's camera.

    Spyke
    For your issue an Android tablet with a built in SD slot would probably be the best solution or hook it up to a computer and do a file transfer from device to device.


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  19. #39  
    I have a USB host cable for my Android tablet (it's actually made for a Nokia phone). *I will hook it up to the TouchPad and try it out tonight. *If it works it will be the equivalent of the camera connection kit for the iPad. *The price for the cable ($5) and SD card reader ($15) will be within a few $. *I stopped using it because I thought the whole setup was hooky.*

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I have a USB host cable for my Android tablet (it's actually made for a Nokia phone). *I will hook it up to the TouchPad and try it out tonight. *If it works it will be the equivalent of the camera connection kit for the iPad. *The price for the cable ($5) and SD card reader ($15) will be within a few $. *I stopped using it because I thought the whole setup was hooky.*

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

    Might wanna have a look at that.

    Just for the record, a hardware solution for connecting SD cards (currently, it'll probably get easier later on when someone gets VBUS boosting and we bother to get some auto mounting scripts) can be as small as an Atloids tin. A usb backup battery, a y cable and a usb->sd card reader will suffice ($9-10 on Amazon/Dealextreme).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions