Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They were just talking about this on CNBC. Apparently Meg plans to
    continue the plans started by Leo. The HP directors apparently don't
    have a problem with Leo's plans... just the way he rushed into it.
    Meg isn't being hired to undo the changes....
    This is interesting. Personally, I would continue the Touchpad, because I know how good it is. But the Touchpad is my bias.

I don't know if she would do that coming into a new job and all. Everyone would probably clean their hands of it.

But Leo got fired for the Touchpad fiasco right?
  3.    #4  
    well, vote at that link!
    their Veer is an amazing design as is the Touchpad
    they took a hit with the Firesale, but they managed, almost overnight, to get a beachhead established and they are off to a great start in a market that will grow and one in which they are superbly competent to compete
    they need to leverage their enterprise experience with that they garnered in acquiring Compaq & Palm in designing small format computers
    WebOs has gained many converts with the push from Apotheker's Folly
    HP's core business has been computers and they are now well positioned to be a significant player in the small device market which will continue to grow well beyond the PC business
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    This is interesting. Personally, I would continue the Touchpad, because I know how good it is. But the Touchpad is my bias.

I don't know if she would do that coming into a new job and all. Everyone would probably clean their hands of it.

Meg was once quoted as saying "iPad is the future of personal computing"(not exact quote... still looking for that video on Youtube) Let's just leave it at that...

Al Gore gets unlimited free iPads and other Apple products. (because he's a director on Apple's board)
    I agree that HP shall focus on software. HP shall found partner for developing webos hardware. But they just shouldn't stop developing and making devices before they have reach any agreement with any third parties. Without any hardware available in the market, it is difficult to keep the mind-share and market-share, and make it difficult to found a hardware partner..

So I agree that HP's long term planning is ok, just the execution is real bad.
    bluenote likes this.
    Yeah but it's not $500 good, it's $90 fantastic but any price point that makes a profit for HP will leave the TP sitting on shelves so it ain't coming back.

Nope, Leo got fired for not corralling the HP Board onto the same page, not communicating the strategy well and not executing well enough.

The HP Board is apparently content with the strategy so RIP Touchpad.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Whitman was one of the board, so why would she want to change a plan she agreed to in the first place?

I think this is an issue of communication not strategy - Whitman is seen as a better person to communicate what they have already agreed to do not make significant changes to that plan.
    Twitter ? @MegWhitman ? I reckon we should keep it in her face!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

When I saw the title of the thread, my first thought was Peter's voice talking to Chris...then he goes running up the stairs yelling that......and I still can't lose that thought
    untitled likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Yeah but it's not $500 good, it's $90 fantastic but any price point that makes a profit for HP will leave the TP sitting on shelves so it ain't coming back.
    That's simply untrue. Look at the prices that the TP is getting on ebay - its close to $300. I'm sure they could break even at that price with profits added in from accessories and apps.

At this point, it should be about creating a community of users.

Future profits could come once on a second and third iteration - TP2 & TP3, and the 7" device, and then with integration to HP Computers, and enterprise solutions.

They can make money on it- not at $99, but maybe at $300 or even $250.

Sure - Apple doesn't need to operate with the iPad as a loss leader, but they might honestly have to react if HP were able to scale profitably around that price point - because webOS is easy- and that has been Apple's advantage over Android.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    and then with integration to HP Computers,
    Who wants WebOS on their PC in a Windows 8 world? It's like adding a fifth wheel to a car.
    I'm still under the belief that they charged $99.99 just to get it in more people's hands. I think they will sell it off to another company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohh View Post
    I'm still under the belief that they charged $99.99 just to get it in more people's hands. I think they will sell it off to another company.
    Instead of selling the leftover Touchpads at $99/$149...

I wonder how many extra PCs and laptops HP could have sold if
    they just bundled the Touchpad in the deal. Buy a $499 PC or
    laptop, get a Touchpad free.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    That's simply untrue. Look at the prices that the TP is getting on ebay - its close to $300.
    A very small percentage of Touchpad buyers paid 300 by buying on ebay. Most paid $99. You can't use the madness of eBay + a product in short supply to determine what the general public is willing to pay for something.
    Soorma likes this.
    Voted, doubt it will make a difference though based on the comments they gave on the webcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Who wants WebOS on their PC in a Windows 8 world? It's like adding a fifth wheel to a car.
    Me!

Sorry for you...

Enjoy the idea... who wants a AndrOS or ApplOS tablet in a webOS world?

I believe that you can find one or two... but not me!

Yes, we live in a multifaceted world... c'est la vie!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast