Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    That's simply untrue. Look at the prices that the TP is getting on ebay - its close to $300. I'm sure they could break even at that price with profits added in from accessories and apps.
    i'm not convinced at your argument. see here:
    How much does the TouchPad cost HP to build? | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

one estimate puts the TP cost at $318, and that's just the hardware (there is licensing, software and probably other things i'm not clever enough to guess at).

as you say, they'll make some money up through accessories and apps, but it's a gamble. i agree that they need to get it out there and sell it at a price where they don't make much profit, if any. they can make it up on future devices as their processes improve, they can get parts cheaper, etc. it's a marathon, not a sprint. they just lack the balls and confidence to go through with it.

just saying, not sure i agree with your certainty that they'd break even at a $300 price tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Yeah but it's not $500 good, it's $90 fantastic but any price point that makes a profit for HP will leave the TP sitting on shelves so it ain't coming back.
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i'm not convinced at your argument. see here:
    How much does the TouchPad cost HP to build? | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

one estimate puts the TP cost at $318, and that's just the hardware (there is licensing, software and probably other things i'm not clever enough to guess at).

as you say, they'll make some money up through accessories and apps, but it's a gamble. i agree that they need to get it out there and sell it at a price where they don't make much profit, if any. they can make it up on future devices as their processes improve, they can get parts cheaper, etc. it's a marathon, not a sprint. they just lack the balls and confidence to go through with it.

just saying, not sure i agree with your certainty that they'd break even at a $300 price tag.
    How much money does Apple make selling the iPad2 to owners of the iPad1?

For HP, and anyone else at this point, its about carving out a community of users. Selling at a loss isn't a loss, its an investment in users that will pay future dividends from other products you look to sell them.

Its the same way the wireless world can give a phone away.

Now- I will agree that maybe some of the numbers simply won't ever work.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    webOS & HP Touchpad may have a second chance if they embrace the ACL concept from openmobileww.com, a compatibility layer that lets webOS run Android apps. Some details can be found in my blog. Pity they have fired too many webOS devs though.
    There is no shortage of Touchpads selling for $250 to $300. There is a shortage of Touchpads selling at $99.

The Touchpad is too little too late for the marketplace.
    It is interesting to see that pricing article which puts the 32g TP at $318 while the much better produced IP2 at $326. This clearly goes to show you that if they invested in growing their base, they could easily get their manufacturing costs (ie. materials) down significantly. If they sold it as a loss leader it would pay significant dividnends in the long run.

They have a solid base, with plenty of free word of mouth advertising, they could build a solid foundation to progress further with.

But they wont so...f it.
    She, and the rest of the then board of directors, approved Leo's plan;so, as much as I'd like to see her change that plan,it isn't likely to happen.
    11B1P likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    It is interesting to see that pricing article which puts the 32g TP at $318 while the much better produced IP2 at $326. This clearly goes to show you that if they invested in growing their base, they could easily get their manufacturing costs (ie. materials) down significantly. If they sold it as a loss leader it would pay significant dividnends in the long run.

They have a solid base, with plenty of free word of mouth advertising, they could build a solid foundation to progress further with.

But they wont so...f it.
    Explain how they get their manufacturing costs down significantly

How does selling the Touchpad as a loss leader pay dividends in the long run?

There is no "solid base" for the touchpad outside of people buying it for $99. That does not make a solid base.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Explain how they get their manufacturing costs down significantly

How does selling the Touchpad as a loss leader pay dividends in the long run?

There is no "solid base" for the touchpad outside of people buying it for $99. That does not make a solid base.
    Ummmm.... Did you even READ the linked article? Did you see that Apple gets the materials to build the 32gb CDMA iPad2 for $8 more than te cost of HP to get the TP 32gb materials?

And I'm not going to get into the notion behind selling things at a loss to get firmly entrenched as a household name in an ecosystem dominated by very a extremely few number of names, and how that may ultimately pay dividends for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Who wants WebOS on their PC in a Windows 8 world? It's like adding a fifth wheel to a car.
    Who wants anything to do with Windows, let alone Windows 8?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOV3LikeRockets View Post
    Most computer users, maybe?
    StuckwVerizon, cgk and nappy like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOV3LikeRockets View Post
    Yeah, most of PC users. My company will probably upgrade to Windows 8. And I am hoping maybe they will hand out the windows 8 tablet instead of laptop. So I can carry around stuffs much easier.
    cgk likes this.
    Adults with a job.
    Yes, the Working Person.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    For HP, and anyone else at this point, its about carving out a community of users. Selling at a loss isn't a loss, its an investment in users that will pay future dividends from other products you look to sell them.
    HP like every business recognises that technology has a very short lifespan and the cost of keeping up is just too great, especially in this cash strapped time when even major countries cannot pay their debts. HPs board made a tough decision but if they keep to their word to develop webOS they could come out ahead. webOS is where any user base is going to be, not some short lifespan expensive piece of kit. You don't even need thousands of apps, just good ones to make it viable.
    They will not come out ahead developing WebOS any further. The Touchpad was a failure.

A bunch of $99 buyers for a $500 touchpad does not make a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    HP like every business recognises that technology has a very short lifespan and the cost of keeping up is just too great, especially in this cash strapped time when even major countries cannot pay their debts. HPs board made a tough decision but if they keep to their word to develop webOS they could come out ahead. webOS is where any user base is going to be, not some short lifespan expensive piece of kit. You don't even need thousands of apps, just good ones to make it viable.
    Track record show otherwise.

webOS so far failed on,
    Pre Minus, Pixie Minus, Pre Plus, Pre Minus, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad.

And webOS fans' been saying about the apps, like no need thousands of apps, we just need good one. But we don't even have good apps.

I think we just have to accept the fact that it's over!
    Track record show otherwise.

webOS so far failed on,
    Pre Minus, Pixie Minus, Pre Plus, Pre Minus, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad.

And webOS fans' been saying about the apps, like no need thousands of apps, we just need good one. But we don't even have good apps.

I think we just have to accept the fact that it's over!

As for webOS, it did not fail, HP failed. Those of us that got the TP when it came out got it for the bigger picture. Touch to Share, send SMS messages with the TP and the vision laid out earlier in the year. After 6 weeks of being out HP decides to do away with building tablets and phones. How is that a webOS failure?

What apps are you looking for? Not to say that webOS does not have good apps is false. I'm using one of the best apps for the TouchPad writing this post.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by dabombcra; 09/23/2011 at 04:30 PM.
    WebOS has been in use for over 2 years. The Touchpad did not sell, period. Fire sale $99 blowouts do not count. There is no question there are WebOS fans and blowout Touchpad owners, but that is not enough to continue for HP.

In reality, WebOS failed under Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    As for webOS, it did not fail, HP failed.
    It didn't do well under Palm either. The public doesn't seem to want webOS, they want Android or iOS -- the less than 2% webOS marketshare seems to support that fact.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the post above me
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    WebOS has been in use for over 2 years. The Touchpad did not sell, period. Fire sale $99 blowouts do not count. There is no question there are WebOS fans and blowout Touchpad owners, but that is not enough to continue for HP.

In reality, WebOS failed under Palm.
    :Yawn:

There has NEVER been a frenzy for any WebOS product in the history of the world like there has for the TP. You seem to keep discounting that. You chalk it up to merely $99 firesale owners. You yourself appear to dislike the platform more than anyone, yet you are still here arguing about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    You chalk it up to merely $99 firesale owners.
    I think everyone chalks it up to being $99. They were selling like rancid hotcakes before then.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast