Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am one of those lucky ones who got in on the firesale last month. 2x 16GB TouchPads, one for me and one for the girlfriend. Ordered from TigerDirect for the 10 minutes that they had them, and received them in about a week. I also bought the official keyboard, touchstone, and case.

The only modern mobile OS I have to compare against is iOS on iPhone4. I tend to find pros and cons in everything in life, so don't find myself to be a 100% hater or 100% fan of anything.

I have to admit that I purchased the TouchPad, in part, as a $99 experiment to see if I would like tablets at all. I figured one of three things will happen: (1) It will turn out really well and I'll just keep using it for its useful life. (2) It won't go too well but I'll at least tell if I like tablets enough to pay the big bucks for an iPad. (3) I will hate the tablet form factor entirely, sell the TouchPad, and ignore iPads.

First Impression
    First off, HP has got the packaging down pat. It reminds me a lot of Apple, which is the first time I felt an appreciation for how clever a product could be packaged. It immediately sets positive tones for the customer experience. Also, it came with more than 50% battery charge, so I could use it immediately. This is SO much better than opening your new shiny toy and the first thing you have to do is charge it overnight. Kudos to HP.

Responsiveness
    Things went downhill from there. The tablet took several minutes to boot and reboot. Enough that I would put it down and walk away to do something else while it was rebooting. Tablets should reboot quickly. Responsiveness was pretty bad as well. I followed the new user's guide on this forum to patch and overclock to 1.5. I don't know if it is coincidence, but not only did it speed up the TouchPad overall, but the reboot times are much more reasonable now and responsiveness is fantastic. It's literally the difference between being constantly annoying and 100% smooth.

UI
    The user interface is great and intuitive. As an Apple user, I naturally used the button a lot. I eventually learned about the bezel-up swipe and I greatly prefer this. I also really like the interface for application (card?) switching and closing. Application switching is MUCH better than iOS and application closing is MEGA LIGHTYEARS better than iOS. I often find myself on my iPhone trying to use TouchPad gestures, and never the other way around. I think that speaks to the intuitiveness of the UI. iOS was good in its time but it is feeling its age. What I've seen of Windows 8 Tablet and experiences with WebOS convinces me that Apple needs a major update.

App Stores
    The official HP App Store is easy to use. I can easily find apps, purchase them, and have them installed. For the most part I think it is roughly the equal of Apple's App Store. Both are much better than I've seen anywhere else. Preware is also pretty neat. Although it is a little rough around the edges, it still works much, much better than Cydia on jailbroken iPhones. I also like the "magazine" appearance of the App Store.

Apps
    iOS wins hands down and everyone knows this. Nobody can say otherwise and if they do, they are insane. To boil down to specifics though, the main things I miss are a decent browser (Opera on iOS), several games I have on iOS, and most of all, Netflix.

Netflix is in fact so important to me that I would consider it a classic "killer app". (PlayOn is not a suitable alternative because I use Netflix on the iPhone everywhere, I don't want to pay an additional subscription, and I don't want to have a Windows machine on 24x7.) With Netflix, I can see keeping the TouchPad for its usable life. Without it, I feel this will head to Ebay some day. I do understand that Netflix is a killer app for me and perhaps not most people.

The browser, too, leaves a lot to be desired. Some pages just don't open; I see them finish, but it's just a white screen. Rather confusingly, some pages also only show a white screen, but they still look like a white screen and I have to scroll up to see the content. Some pages don't open at all and I get a useless popup that says the page didn't open. It seems to run out of memory fast. And I mean FAST. Even if the browser is the only app. With as few as two cards I've seen the first card go "blurry" where it is only represented by a low-res static image, and returning to it requires a reload. The promise of Flash is a big letdown as many "Netflix alternatives" just don't perform very well. Hulu is choppy and the network websites are choppy. Sometimes there is only audio; the video is slow slow it's like a slideshow. Flash video just seems to be too much for this tablet. (For the record I have 802.11N and I've tried this just a few feet away from the router.)

"It Just Works"
    My iPhone 4 UI is reliable. It's a rock. I'm sorry to say the TouchPad is not even close.

Copy and paste fail far more often than they work. Strangely enough, I can try the exact same thing over and over, failing the first 4-5 times, then suddenly have it work the 6th time. Saving an image from the browser also works intermittently. Many times I have tried and failed. Sometimes it works. Some times a specific image won't save but if I try that exact image the next day it works.

Einstein's definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Far from being insanity, repetition in the face of unresponsiveness is practically a requirement on the TouchPad.

The WebOS UI is so great. It beats iOS hands down. But it needs to work, and it doesn't. My girlfriend has the exact same problems.

Accessories
    The TouchStone is worth it. I could recommend this to anyone. Inductive charging is cool. Exhibition mode is cool. Not having to insert a fragile connector into a fragile port thousands of times a year is a big benefit. Only drawback is that it powers only... no USB connection for syncing. It would be cool if dropping the TouchPad into the TouchStone triggered a Wi-Fi sync.

The keyboard is high quality and works well, but I just don't find myself using it. I can recommend it to a person who types a lot, but not to casual web browsers and the like.

The case completely blows. It has no method of staying closed, and so it doesn't, ever. It seems to double the weight (it doesn't, but it sure feels like it). It makes the Touchpad too thick. I don't use it as a stand because the TouchStone works as a stand, or I'll just lay the TouchPad flat. Supposedly the one good thing about it is that it is the only case that works with the TouchStone. But the cover has nowhere to go when opened, so it's just awkward. The cover also won't stay closed, so it just sort of sags down. And you can't charge it in portrait with the cover. I cannot recommend the factory cover to anyone at all.

Bottom Line
    I feel there is a lot to like and a lot to dislike. Of my three options above, I think #2 has happened (I like tablets, but the TouchPad isn't the one for me). I've learned that even if I have my phone already on me, I will take the time to go get the tablet. So likely an iPad 3 is in my future and a "loaded" TouchPad will be on Ebay the next day.

If the TouchPad just worked right, had a great browser, and had Netflix, it would be a keeper. In fact, if these things happen before iPad 3 is out, I'm certain it WILL be a keeper. I guess it's up to HP.
    Last edited by Actionable Mango; 09/22/2011 at 07:44 PM.
    whoa, zappcatt and Vermithrax like this.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The case completely blows. It has no method of staying closed, and so it doesn't, ever.
    This makes no sense to me as well - what is the point of a case that does not stay closed? I have started carrying an elastic band to secure it. I don't understand how during the design process, nobody picked up on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This makes no sense to me as well - what is the point of a case that does not stay closed? I have started carrying an elastic band to secure it. I don't understand how during the design process, nobody picked up on this.
    I too was more than underwhelmed by the case. I've not confirmed but I've heard rumors that the Ipad1 cases will fit. I'd rather have a functional case than this piece of cloth...lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohh View Post
    I too was more than underwhelmed by the case. I've not confirmed but I've heard rumors that the Ipad1 cases will fit. I'd rather have a functional case than this piece of cloth...lol.
    They do fit, rather perfectly actually. I have a zoogue case for my ipad1, and everything fits perfectly, even the ffc. The only thing is that the speakers are not lines up with any holes, but the speakers still sound really good through the leather. Most iPad1 cases should be a perfectly good fit for the Touchpad.
    I've been thinking of buying some black velcro strips and just making my own latch for the case cover.
    A word of advice, if you can, disable the Wireless N option on your router. Once I switched my router to only Wireless G, the response with the Wi-Fi and web pages loading was much better.
    Luckily I have a dual band router that has a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz band.
    I can't remember off the top of my head which I set to each mode without looking due to certain limitations, but I set one of the modes to be G only and one of them to be N.
    This way, I only connect my TP to the network that has the Wireless G and my laptops and other devices to the Wireless N network.
  7. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I don't understand how during the design process, nobody picked up on this.
    Which is pretty much in keeping with the theme as far as the TouchPad goes...
    Just wait till your case starts falling apart like mine did.

I can't believe this thing used to sell for $50.
    I am one of those lucky ones who got in on the firesale last month. 2x 16GB TouchPads, one for me and one for the girlfriend. Ordered from TigerDirect for the 10 minutes that they had them, and received them in about a week. I also bought the official keyboard, touchstone, and case.

The only modern mobile OS I have to compare against is iOS on iPhone4. I tend to find pros and cons in everything in life, so don't find myself to be a 100% hater or 100% fan of anything.

I have to admit that I purchased the TouchPad, in part, as a $99 experiment to see if I would like tablets at all. I figured one of three things will happen: (1) It will turn out really well and I'll just keep using it for its useful life. (2) It won't go too well but I'll at least tell if I like tablets enough to pay the big bucks for an iPad. (3) I will hate the tablet form factor entirely, sell the TouchPad, and ignore iPads.

First Impression
    First off, HP has got the packaging down pat. It reminds me a lot of Apple, which is the first time I felt an appreciation for how clever a product could be packaged. It immediately sets positive tones for the customer experience. Also, it came with more than 50% battery charge, so I could use it immediately. This is SO much better than opening your new shiny toy and the first thing you have to do is charge it overnight. Kudos to HP.

Responsiveness
    Things went downhill from there. The tablet took several minutes to boot and reboot. Enough that I would put it down and walk away to do something else while it was rebooting. Tablets should reboot quickly. Responsiveness was pretty bad as well. I followed the new user's guide on this forum to patch and overclock to 1.5. I don't know if it is coincidence, but not only did it speed up the TouchPad overall, but the reboot times are much more reasonable now and responsiveness is fantastic. It's literally the difference between being constantly annoying and 100% smooth.

UI
    The user interface is great and intuitive. As an Apple user, I naturally used the button a lot. I eventually learned about the bezel-up swipe and I greatly prefer this. I also really like the interface for application (card?) switching and closing. Application switching is MUCH better than iOS and application closing is MEGA LIGHTYEARS better than iOS. I often find myself on my iPhone trying to use TouchPad gestures, and never the other way around. I think that speaks to the intuitiveness of the UI. iOS was good in its time but it is feeling its age. What I've seen of Windows 8 Tablet and experiences with WebOS convinces me that Apple needs a major update.

App Stores
    The official HP App Store is easy to use. I can easily find apps, purchase them, and have them installed. For the most part I think it is roughly the equal of Apple's App Store. Both are much better than I've seen anywhere else. Preware is also pretty neat. Although it is a little rough around the edges, it still works much, much better than Cydia on jailbroken iPhones. I also like the "magazine" appearance of the App Store.

Apps
    iOS wins hands down and everyone knows this. Nobody can say otherwise and if they do, they are insane. To boil down to specifics though, the main things I miss are a decent browser (Opera on iOS), several games I have on iOS, and most of all, Netflix.

Netflix is in fact so important to me that I would consider it a classic "killer app". (PlayOn is not a suitable alternative because I use Netflix on the iPhone everywhere, I don't want to pay an additional subscription, and I don't want to have a Windows machine on 24x7.) With Netflix, I can see keeping the TouchPad for its usable life. Without it, I feel this will head to Ebay some day. I do understand that Netflix is a killer app for me and perhaps not most people.

The browser, too, leaves a lot to be desired. Some pages just don't open; I see them finish, but it's just a white screen. Rather confusingly, some pages also only show a white screen, but they still look like a white screen and I have to scroll up to see the content. Some pages don't open at all and I get a useless popup that says the page didn't open. It seems to run out of memory fast. And I mean FAST. Even if the browser is the only app. With as few as two cards I've seen the first card go "blurry" where it is only represented by a low-res static image, and returning to it requires a reload. The promise of Flash is a big letdown as many "Netflix alternatives" just don't perform very well. Hulu is choppy and the network websites are choppy. Sometimes there is only audio; the video is slow slow it's like a slideshow. Flash video just seems to be too much for this tablet. (For the record I have 802.11N and I've tried this just a few feet away from the router.)

"It Just Works"
    My iPhone 4 UI is reliable. It's a rock. I'm sorry to say the TouchPad is not even close.

Copy and paste fail far more often than they work. Strangely enough, I can try the exact same thing over and over, failing the first 4-5 times, then suddenly have it work the 6th time. Saving an image from the browser also works intermittently. Many times I have tried and failed. Sometimes it works. Some times a specific image won't save but if I try that exact image the next day it works.

Einstein's definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Far from being insanity, repetition in the face of unresponsiveness is practically a requirement on the TouchPad.

The WebOS UI is so great. It beats iOS hands down. But it needs to work, and it doesn't. My girlfriend has the exact same problems.

Accessories
    The TouchStone is worth it. I could recommend this to anyone. Inductive charging is cool. Exhibition mode is cool. Not having to insert a fragile connector into a fragile port thousands of times a year is a big benefit. Only drawback is that it powers only... no USB connection for syncing. It would be cool if dropping the TouchPad into the TouchStone triggered a Wi-Fi sync.

The keyboard is high quality and works well, but I just don't find myself using it. I can recommend it to a person who types a lot, but not to casual web browsers and the like.

The case completely blows. It has no method of staying closed, and so it doesn't, ever. It seems to double the weight (it doesn't, but it sure feels like it). It makes the Touchpad too thick. I don't use it as a stand because the TouchStone works as a stand, or I'll just lay the TouchPad flat. Supposedly the one good thing about it is that it is the only case that works with the TouchStone. But the cover has nowhere to go when opened, so it's just awkward. The cover also won't stay closed, so it just sort of sags down. And you can't charge it in portrait with the cover. I cannot recommend the factory cover to anyone at all.

Bottom Line
    I feel there is a lot to like and a lot to dislike. Of my three options above, I think #2 has happened (I like tablets, but the TouchPad isn't the one for me). I've learned that even if I have my phone already on me, I will take the time to go get the tablet. So likely an iPad 3 is in my future and a "loaded" TouchPad will be on Ebay the next day.

If the TouchPad just worked right, had a great browser, and had Netflix, it would be a keeper. In fact, if these things happen before iPad 3 is out, I'm certain it WILL be a keeper. I guess it's up to HP.

A well thought out and respectful review. We need more of this. If the TouchPad is not meeting your needs right now and you have a device that will, I suggest you sale the TouchPad. Had this been two months ago I would have said give it time and let HP work out the bugs. With all of the turmoil at HP right now there is no telling when the bugs will get fixed. The lack of an announcement for new webOS hardware is making some developers think twice about supporting webOS. Our only saving grace is leveraging the shear number of new users caused by the fire sale. We have petition developers directly to support the TouchPad and have gotten some success stories (Zinio, SplashTop). However, NetFlix has not answered back. They are hurting right now because of the lost of over a million users and the lost of Starz content, so they may be open to expanding or keeping their existing user base by supporting more platforms.

The case is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand I have the same issues as you. The case won't close all the way and makes the device heavier. You have to hold it a certain way to keep it closed right, which is ridiculous. You should be able to hold your device any way you want and the case should remain closed. I also have issues with it warping near the USB port and the power button. On the other hand I love how the folding stand works. I can fold the stand to make the device sit on just about any surface in my house. I also like how you can charge it wireless through the case. You can charge it in portrait mode with the case on. I do it all the time. If you plan on keeping the device check out the TouchPad accessories section of the forums. There are a lot of iPad 1 cases that fit the TouchPad fine with a little modification. There are also some skins available for it but you may won't to hurry because I think they are being discontinued.

The keyboard is only useful for people that require a physical keyboard. PreCentral did a great article on it and did not recommend it. I bought one when I got back my money from the fire sale but I've only used it a 1/2 dozen times. I like it, but I usually use my TouchPad on the couch and not a table or a desk.

We have had many an argument over the browser here. It lacks features that some folks want. The Advanced Browser is better, but not by much. I like it because it (and the Advanced Browser) is the only stable Flash enabled platform I've used on a mobile device yet. After using other devices I thought Apple may have been right not to include Flash on iOS, but after using the TouchPad I began to believe once again that they were foolish. Flash has not crashed yet since I got my TouchPad in July and I appreciate that. You can actually leave auto load Flash enabled and not have to worry about an ad crashing the browser. With all the other bugs in webOS if HP can make Flash stable then surely Apple could also. Your white page problem is interesting and is probably the settings on your router. The TouchPad should work with just about any wireless router without issue but truth is it doesn't. If you plan on keeping the TouchPad I suggest you follow some of the suggestions here and report your issue to the Butler service. You have 90 days free tech support through them and contrary to popular believe most of them speak perfect English and are in the United States. You can chat with them directly from the help program on your device.

Cut and paste may be affected by the tap ripple. If you have it on try installing the patch that disables it.

I believe that HP should have released an errata with webOS 3.0.0 with a list of work-arounds and a timeline for the fixes. They should have also released a Bluetooth and wireless router compatibility list. No software is perfect, but user should know about known bugs a head of time.

The UI is the major selling point for me and the reason I and others continue to use webOS. I tried to go back to Android and iOS but I just couldn't. Using webOS increases my workflow. However if it is not a major selling point for you then there is really no other reason to use webOS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I bought a case on eBay. It also doesn't have a way to keep it closed, but it does stay closed. I'll post the link when I get back home to my desktop (which I hardly ever use since I got my tp). With shipping (from China) it was under $20.00. I don't have a Touchstone yet, but will get one soon. I don't know if the tp can be charged while using this case.
    I'm also hoping that a Netflix app will be forthcoming soon.
    I bought this case, which works very well. It adds a bit of thickness, but in return feels very protective.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

The only issue is that in landscape it's awkward to do the bezel swipe, but the button's accessible for that.

Spyke
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Good review! I agree with almost all of your points. Kudos to webos for the UI features, too bad its not enough to beat iOS.
    Spot on review. The lak of a Netflix app is why i pick up my iPad in the evening instead of my Touchpad. The lackmof meaningful apps relevant to what I want a tablet to do is why it's going on eBay.
    VZW Pre Plus 2.1.0 w/SR71 running at 1.2 Ghz; VZW Pix Plus Stock.
    I have had mine since day 1 ($99) launch and am enjoying it more and more. I used it on my first trip this past weekend and watching movies, checking web, facebook, email was extremely easy at hotel. I didn't even bring my IPOD touch with me and didn't miss it at all. Love the clarity and size of screen for movies paired with bluetooth headphones is awesome for flights. Love the notetaking abilities for jotting down thoughts and multitasking is great. Overall, for $99 bucks this thing is a steal and great piece of hardware, just hope they keep it going.
    After having it for a month now, I'm still very pleased with my purchase... for the price I paid for it. I still use it daily, be it for casual web browsing or portable media viewing. Splashtop will be very nice now that I've downloaded and played with it a little; my desktop stays on 24/7 anyway. I took it on a vacation and it was very nice to have for those late hotel evenings where you're otherwise just flipping through the 15 basic cable channels or to carry down by the pool while my kid played.

It's not perfect. The slow and occasionally clunky web browser has be taking a gusty sigh now and then. It has its assorted quirks. Had I paid full price for it, I'd be pretty disappointed. But the item I have, at the price I paid, has been more than satisfactory and is a nice "quality of life" enhancer that I'd never pay "retail tablet" price for, no matter if it was Apple, Samsung or whoever.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I cut the cover off my HP case... Now it feels like a rubberized body.

I don't get the browser complaints. Its not bad IMO and despite lesser speed at times it brings full web compared to IOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGI_Ram View Post
    I cut the cover off my HP case... Now it feels like a rubberized body.

I don't get the browser complaints. Its not bad IMO and despite lesser speed at times it brings full web compared to IOS.
    The browser complaints, at least mine, center on two areas.

1) Ridiculous unacceptable slowness.
    2) Lack of features.

I can excuse 2, but number 1 is completely unacceptable. A dual core 1.5ghz Touchpad should NOT be slower than a 800mhz single core iPad. Ever. And certainly not on EVERY site, ALL the time. I can literally load Engadget.com on the ipad, tap on an article and have that load fully, all before the Touchpad can load Engadget.com.

There are many more complaints about the browser, but none as glaring as that.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    The tp browser is better than iOS's. **** speed when iOS isn't even loading a desktop web page while the TP is. Not to talk about disabled flash. I have wireless N and page loading is no slower than on my quad core desktop and Radeon graphics (on gigabit ethernet), you guys need to check your wireless router settings.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    lrn2swim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    The tp browser is better than iOS's. **** speed when iOS isn't even loading a desktop web page while the TP is. Not to talk about disabled flash. I have wireless N and page loading is no slower than on my quad core desktop and Radeon graphics (on gigabit ethernet), you guys need to check your wireless router settings.
    My post of course was deleted and I've been warned for disagreeing with your statement.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    The browser complaints, at least mine, center on two areas.

1) Ridiculous unacceptable slowness.
    2) Lack of features.

I can excuse 2, but number 1 is completely unacceptable. A dual core 1.5ghz Touchpad should NOT be slower than a 800mhz single core iPad. Ever. And certainly not on EVERY site, ALL the time. I can literally load Engadget.com on the ipad, tap on an article and have that load fully, all before the Touchpad can load Engadget.com.

There are many more complaints about the browser, but none as glaring as that.
    so last month my friends and i had our online live fantasy football draft. i had my touchpad and one of the guys had his girlfriends ipad. guess which one of us was able to use their device to do the draft?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast