Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    All I am saying is that if they did choose to still manufacture the TouchPads as a loss leader temporarily, there is suddenly value in the OS.
    who is that going to create value for? HP takes a huge loss for selling another million touchpads at a loss? Basically another few hundred million dollar loss. Developers stop creating apps anyways because even at 2 million users, there's little incentive to develop apps for a small userbase. Developers go for the instant gratification and try to recoup their costs fast on large userbases. The blackberry playbook is experiencing the same problem with the lack of apps and the store inventories just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Someone who buys WebOS is just buying it mostly for the patents. They could care less about 1 or 2 million touchpads sold since it's too small a userbase to make any real money off of. Based on Meg Whitman's comments, even HP right now has no idea what they plan on doing with WebOS. There's no sign of any other manufacturers who actually want to use WebOS on hardware and some have flat out said they won't.
    Last edited by sparced; 09/24/2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hankbuddy View Post
    You can't really say that, because we don't really know what the tablet market is like yet. However, if you put 25 million tablets out there, and each one of those can generate an average of $1 a week in commission on app sales from your app catalog, that's $1.3 billion a year. And what are your direct costs to generate that income? I've got to think they would be pretty low. You can see how this model can start to generate a pretty nice cash flow.
    25 million Touchpads? How does this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    But more then just saying this, she gonna carry the death of webOS out.
    Leo signed the death warrant for webOS & Touchpad.

Meg will carry it out as the executioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post

Palm didn't do any favors for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post

And you want to know why this is almost assuredly an inevitability? If she tries to bring back WebOS and it fails again, its now her failure. If she lets it die, then it was the old guys problem which she fixed.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    And you want to know why this is almost assuredly an inevitability? If she tries to bring back WebOS and it fails again, its now her failure. If she lets it die, then it was the old guys problem which she fixed.
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Touchpad failed. They stopped making it. It is not going to be brought back.

A $99 blowout sale of remaining stock, where many of the buyers bought multiple units to try and turn a profit, is not going to have any weight for the future of HP.
    Listen to what you are saying. Yes - people bought several at 99 to make a profit - they *are* making that profit.
    TPs sell like hotcakes on ebay at 300. And that's for a dead platform. Obviously buyers would be willing to pay more if the platform had a credible future atm.

I agree that HP is not going to brig them back - but that's because they want to get out of the whole consumer business.
    *If* they still wanted to be in consumer hardware they *would* bring out the next generation of webos devices in a few months, because then they would need to go after higher margin products - which is the whole mobile connected area (smartphones and tablets).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Listen to what you are saying. Yes - people bought several at 99 to make a profit - they *are* making that profit.
    TPs sell like hotcakes on ebay at 300. And that's for a dead platform. Obviously buyers would be willing to pay more if the platform had a credible future atm.

I agree that HP is not going to brig them back - but that's because they want to get out of the whole consumer business.
    *If* they still wanted to be in consumer hardware they *would* bring out the next generation of webos devices in a few months, because then they would need to go after higher margin products - which is the whole mobile connected area (smartphones and tablets).
    Too much could'a should'a would'a.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Too much could'a should'a would'a.
    lukeaddison likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Click to view quoted image

I still don't understand why people are buying Touchpads
    on eBay/CL/Amazon for close to $300. It just does not
    make any sense. Prior to the fire sale, the Touchpad was
    selling for only $399(16GB). I was able to buy one from
    Staples retail store for $319 because I had a printable
    coupon.(readily available from Slickdeals) Yet it still
    didn't sell well. Then HP killed the Touchpad and now
    suddenly people are willing to pay $300 for it on eBay?
    How crazy is that?

The only way to reverse HP's mind and bring back the
    production of Touchpads is probably have some hot
    25-year-old boy agreeing to sleep with the CEO.
    you have a small supply of something and the demand is high. Price goes up on an open market like ebay.

At $100, most of the one's that sold went into the hands of people who wanted them. Those people aren't willing to give it up since they got them so cheap. It's a huge value at that price.

The remaining ebayers have a small supply that's in high demand. You have a lot of people looking to get it for android, hacking, etc and can no longer find it at the $100 price.

so no, it doesn't really say that the general population is willing to pay more. It only says that there's a high demand for a limited quantity item that won't be made again.

Let's say HP increases production a few million, ebay prices would plummet like a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    you have a small supply of something and the demand is high. Price goes up on an open market like ebay.

At $100, most of the one's that sold went into the hands of people who wanted them. Those people aren't willing to give it up since they got them so cheap. It's a huge value at that price.

The remaining ebayers have a small supply that's in high demand. You have a lot of people looking to get it for android, hacking, etc and can no longer find it at the $100 price.

so no, it doesn't really say that the general population is willing to pay more. It only says that there's a high demand for a limited quantity item that won't be made again.

Let's say HP increases production a few million, ebay prices would plummet like a rock.
    I agree....

on the other hand, the Toshiba Thrive Android tablet can be had for $318.(8GB, but it has
    a SD slot for 32GB, even 64GB SDXC cards) Why are people spending $263 to buy
    Touchpads on eBay? $263 is the average price of all the 16GB Touchpads listed as "sold"
    on eBay in the last 10 days.
    There are pages and pages of Touchpads for sale on Ebay. They are selling like hotcakes?
    dignitary likes this.
    The whole idea of seeling the Touchpad at a loss, is just insane.

I did the math in another thread... Materials alone cost 300$, so if they sold it for 200, they'd lose 150 prprpr $unit$. $That$ $would$ $mean$ $they$ $have$ $to$ $sell$ $around$ $400$$ $worth$ $of$ $apps$ $just$ $break$ $even$.

Heck, even if they priced them at 300$ they would still have to sell 150$ worth of apps just to make back what they spend on distribution and retail margins. And that's more than many people would spend on apps during the entire lifespan of a Touchpad.

It would never work.

I hoppe everybody enjoy their Touchpads, but the public didn't take to them, and it could never be made to work now.
    HP doesn't get the retail price unless they sell it direct from their site.

They get wholesale - plus they pay for shipping to the retailer, etc.
    No but the retailer has to make something, that's what I meant.
    Cost of materials alone is 300, on top of that theres distribution costs, techsupport. And a 30-40$ markup for the retailer.

So even if HP would sell it at cost, without leaving any profit for themselves, we'd be looking at 350$ Touchpads at the very least.

And then HP can only hope that people will spend at least 100$ on apps in the first year, so they can get a small 10% profit. It just DOESNT make sense.
    They were #1 in PC market share. Course I'm a Delly myself. But isn't the consumer market everything? I don't understand what they were trying to do.

There was nothing professional about the way they've done in the past month? Did they go to school?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    the entire lot of them need to be fired.
    while i agree to be fair webos has had several chances to make a dent in the market and aside from you guys on here "which is a small fraction of users" the platform fell on it's face. don't get me wrong i love it but i agree with the new CEO, they need to move forward and see if they can license out webos to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    They were #1 in PC market share. Course I'm a Delly myself. But isn't the consumer market everything? I don't understand what they were trying to do.

There was nothing professional about the way they've done in the past month? Did they go to school?
    Yes they went to school, but they failed Tablet 101.
    Part of the course includes:
    1: Don't release an unfinished product
    2: Don't announce and release months latter. Announce with imminent release.
    3: Value your product according to it's features. The Touchpad was not a $499 product
    4: Have your content ready at launch
    5: No double launches (soft launch then "the real launch"). No half steppin' allowed
    6: Have your killer features ready day one, namely touch to share

There are several others, but none more important than number one:

Don't release an unfinished product

You would of thought they learned this from RIM
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast