Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103
Like Tree52Likes
  1. #41  
    The desktop was used only as simile. Obviously webos isn't a desktop os, which is good, because that is a very staurated market. You are talking smart mobile os's (phones and tablets) where they actually have a chance to be huge (given the right decisions).

    WebOS on mobile smartphones (Nielson):
    Smartphone OS wars settling into a stalemate? - News - Linux for Devices

    Mac stats (look under "Market share and user demographics"):
    Macintosh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    It just goes to show how quickly you can grow if you make smart decisions. Actually, if WebOS (as it stands right now as HP being the sole distributor) had an 11% market share, HP would be EXTREMELY profitable in the os arena...
  2. #42  
    Palm software still has 1%, Over 2 years of WebOS and they have only managed to get to 2%?

    It's done. Put a fork in it.
  3. #43  
    It took 20 years for Apple to get 2% of desktops did someone put a fork in them?

    WebOS is actually a known entity now from the firesale, it was certainly not before. It has gotten plenty of free advertising. It is instantly recognizable now to some extent. It is prime time to back it, you do not have windows of opportunity like this very often...
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    It took 20 years for Apple to get 2% of desktops did someone put a fork in them?

    WebOS is actually a known entity now from the firesale, it was certainly not before. It has gotten plenty of free advertising. It is instantly recognizable now to some extent. It is prime time to back it, you do not have windows of opportunity like this very often...
    Comparing Apple with WebOS is like comparing apples to lemons.

    Apple built their business with hardware and software together.

    HP has sold PCs with Windows software.

    WebOS is not a factor in HP and there isn't any ongoing devices using the software.

    The claim that WebOS is a known entity because of a fire sale means nothing.
  5. #45  
    I don't understand comparing WebOS to Apple, at all. Apple has a niche. They produce EXTREMELY high quality hardware with a locked in easy to use ecosystem. This appeals to MANY groups. Young people like Apple because they are "cool", wealthy people like apple because they are quality machines, older people like Apple products because they are easy to use.

    What niche does WebOS/HP fill that no one else fills? No other company even competes with Apple with regards to hardware and most just use cheap plastic instead of aluminum unibody designs.

    WebOS has to fill a niche. There is no compelling reason to choose WebOS at this point. The hardware is meh. The OS is buggy. There are essentially no apps when compared to the three big mobile ecosystems, and the ones that do exist are not the same level of quality as iOS or WP7. So either they fix a bunch of these issues or they choose to sell for ridiculously cheap prices.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  6. #46  
    OK. Touchpads are a known entity now. Whatever, since they are the only hardware at the moment. The concept is very simple, you give the product as a loss leader to get them into the wild. This spurs developer interest. Which then increases the neat factor. The name gets bigger. Suddenly your'e negotiating lower materials costs from your suppliers and boom you make the iPad2 at roughly the same cost as the TP. Suddenly you got a cool great product that you can sell for higher prices.

    Obviously the concept of being the bargain priced product, to becoming a premium product, is not a new concept at all. In fact it has been used biollions of times before...
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    OK. Touchpads are a known entity now. Whatever, since they are the only hardware at the moment. The concept is very simple, you give the product as a loss leader to get them into the wild. This spurs developer interest. Which then increases the neat factor. The name gets bigger. Suddenly your'e negotiating lower materials costs from your suppliers and boom you make the iPad2 at roughly the same cost as the TP. Suddenly you got a cool great product that you can sell for higher prices.

    Obviously the concept of being the bargain priced product, to becoming a premium product, is not a new concept at all. In fact it has been used biollions of times before...
    If HP wanted to do that, then this is what they should do. They should take the TP and put in a lower quality screen, remove the touch to share nonsense, remove the beats audio nonsense and then bundle a tablet with EVERY SINGLE computer they sell. Every laptop and every desktop. Just give them away. The point would be to give WebOS out to as many people as they can.
  8. #48  
    Yeah, they can't do that now. They have no time. They have to strike while the iron is hot. They have a product already complete and in current manufacturing state. Continue the manufacturing, sell them at the $250 price point. Get them back in stores at that price point, advertise all over TV "The AWESOME tablet for $250" and suddenly you're in business...

    AND, you have the added bonus of NOT being the bargain priced tablet with crappy hardware, you are the bargain priced tablet with pretty decent hardware.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Comparing Apple with WebOS is like comparing apples to lemons.

    Apple built their business with hardware and software together.

    HP has sold PCs with Windows software.

    WebOS is not a factor in HP and there isn't any ongoing devices using the software.

    The claim that WebOS is a known entity because of a fire sale means nothing.
    Ummmm no, actually it's not. HP has an OS (WebOS) and exclusively produces the hardware that runs it. It is exactly the same concept...
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Ummmm no, actually it's not. HP has an OS (WebOS) and exclusively produces the hardware that runs it. It is exactly the same concept...
    They don't produce hardware. They have been in the Palm business for a year, the Touchpad was a failure and they don't have any phones to speak of.

    You can try and spin it to fit your personal wishes, but it flat out stiffed.
  11. #51  
    You just refuse to think prior to writing. Look at the title of the thread, "HPs New CEO Wont Bring TouchPads Back or Save PCs", then look at the posts that you reply to about why it would make sense to bring back the TP, which is hardware, right now, and how it can be beneficial in the long run.

    Then go on and tell people that don't produce hardware.

    The whole world is speculating that bringing back the TP, which is hardware, would be beneficial in the long run, and you keep saying that they don't have hardware. Everyone understands this, which is why the "bring back" portion of the thread title is so important in understanding what others may be saying.

    They produced how many phones from scratch? 3? How many tablets? Yet you keep reassuring us that they have no hardware manufacturing.

    The entire world understands that the failure of the TP was the price point, except apparently you...
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Yeah, they can't do that now. They have no time. They have to strike while the iron is hot. They have a product already complete and in current manufacturing state. Continue the manufacturing, sell them at the $250 price point. Get them back in stores at that price point, advertise all over TV "The AWESOME tablet for $250" and suddenly you're in business...

    AND, you have the added bonus of NOT being the bargain priced tablet with crappy hardware, you are the bargain priced tablet with pretty decent hardware.
    No. You produce a cheapo tablet and spread it wide to gain developers. 5 million WebOS tablets in people's hands opens up a huge market for developers, and people wont complain because they got it for "free" with their laptop or desktop. Then when developers begin to come over you release a VERY nice tablet which has some advanced features that no other tablet has. This would be easy to do with a tablet and personal computer business.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    No. You produce a cheapo tablet and spread it wide to gain developers. 5 million WebOS tablets in people's hands opens up a huge market for developers, and people wont complain because they got it for "free" with their laptop or desktop. Then when developers begin to come over you release a VERY nice tablet which has some advanced features that no other tablet has. This would be easy to do with a tablet and personal computer business.
    OK. Well, they are not going to do that. Right now they are not going to develop anymore tablets. But, they do currently have one in production, with a million tablets in the wild, that is on EVERY tech websites hot list, and even non-technical people know about it, and pretty much the entire world has heard about it, and the company is all over the news...

    and, and, and, and maybe they should just start new develolment on a cheap-o tablet that they can bring to market in about a year or so?
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    #54  
    Except next week, it's pretty clear that Amazon are going to launch their $250 tablet so that window is now closing fast. And if it comes down to a dog fight between HP and Amazon, the smart money would be on Amazon.
    dignitary likes this.
  15. #55  
    Oh well, bummer. Good thing Amazon was late to the party I guess, they got the exact price point from the TP fiasco. I am sure they are selling it at a loss as well...
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Oh well, bummer. Good thing Amazon was late to the party I guess, they got the exact price point from the TP fiasco. I am sure they are selling it at a loss as well...
    From what I understand, the specification is only so-so but I guess amazon know that their core audience don't care that much about such things and this means that it if there is a loss per unit it is not a big one and of course the whole thing is designed to get you to spend more with them so I guess they plan to come out ahead that wsy.
  17. #57  
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
  18. #58  
    they won't get out of the PC business - however, I would think WebOS is dead. Amazing that HP is so focused on "the cloud" but they can't see how important mobility is to a cloud offering. That's kind of the point isn't it?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    they won't get out of the PC business - however, I would think WebOS is dead. Amazing that HP is so focused on "the cloud" but they can't see how important mobility is to a cloud offering. That's kind of the point isn't it?
    Why do they need WebOS for mobility?
  20. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    they won't get out of the PC business - however, I would think WebOS is dead. Amazing that HP is so focused on "the cloud" but they can't see how important mobility is to a cloud offering. That's kind of the point isn't it?
    They will provide that access with... Windows 8 tablets.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions