Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    As much as we hated leo, the fact is its clearly the Board that wanted hp to move in this direction. They hired him because they thought he would lead them to their enterprise software cloud heaven.

Problem is leo couldn't communicate his way out of a paper bag and the board thinks communications is the problem not their strategy. Also somebody (other than the board) had to take the fall for the whole debacle.

The new ceo wants the exact same thing leo did and has a similar resume of dragging a company down and paying too much for marginal acquisitions . It's just that she is nicer and more cuddly than leo and the board thinks that will solve everything.
    Indeed. For whatever reason the board don't see that criticism levelled at Leo and the decline in stock price is directly related to the strategy they devised. I also can't believe that Leo was the only one responsible for they poor way information was communicated.

Investors won't see replacing Leo as a solution. They might see Meg as an even less experienced person to shift HP focus to enterprise. I don't know the women, but she gets less than glowing reports in most articles on the net.
    greenoyster likes this.
    Everyone, *breathe*! webOS is not dead yet. Yes, the hardware is dead, but they are still supporting the software (for now).
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    When I talked to Meg back in February she was very excited about webOS. Now I know that she was just brought onto the board at the time, and that everything was bright and happy in Leo's HPville at the time, but I have hope that if she saw the potential back then, she could still see it today.
    If Whitman is like Apotheker, HP will stay on course for a year, at which point there's going to be a press release stating that effective immediately, HP will cease all hardware and software development and concentrate on its role as a serch engine, internet portal and instant messaging provider. There's also going to be a hot new thing called "HP Answers".

A year later, with HP's stock trading at $1.45, Jim Skinner is brought in as the new CEO, with a new idea to sell all assets they have and turn HP into a chain of franchise restaurants.

-OR- Whitman could actually lead HP as what it is instead of trying, like Apotheker did, to turn her new gig into her old one because he's a one-trick pony with no abilities or visions beyond that one trick (in his case: enterprise software).

I suppose we shall see.
    jc-Treo and gmlongo like this.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Everyone, *breathe*! webOS is not dead yet. Yes, the hardware is dead, but they are still supporting the software (for now).
    That's like saying, "The patient isn't dead yet. He's just in a coma and on a heart and lung machine. Go ahead and plan that trip to Fiji with him."
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    name some software/apps that HP have personally made that we all use/**** to atm?

.......aint none, its why the touchpad couldnt really be marketed well before launch, everyone got a "os only" tablet with no flagship type app to flaunt, all they did was show demos of armageddon squadron II which we still dont have even now.

edit: wonder why f l o c k got starred out above Oo?
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/24/2011 at 08:21 AM.
    dignitary likes this.
    @BrynaATHp has been dead silent since the 20th of September. Isn't that odd.

"Getting off twitter for tonight, BUT send me your general HP news Qs & I'll snoop around in the AM for the goods. Deals, PCs, Printers, etc"
    20 Sep via web
    Well... the webOS is in anesthesia, but without surgery!

Now, Meg have the bistoury, and we are in waiting room...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    and yet...

there are many of us who dont want android/iOS...so where do we go? webos seems to be on its way out, so does maemo and meego...where does that leave us with viable alternatives? MS?
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    What about increasing the like-counter or number of comments over there:
    Dear new HP CEO: Bring the TouchPad line back | ZDNet
    semprini likes this.
    Nothing much is going to change. I actually think it will get worse. Whitman is Leo's gal. He put her there. It seems to me the HP board is looking for name recognition to appease shareholders who haven't been too thrilled with direction the board is taking HP. While the muddled message of what is going on with HP has been an issue with shareholders, the move itself has not proved popular either because they are drastically changing the nature of what HP has been and will be. If they are going to follow that course which she seems committed to then HP will gradually erode till it is bought out by someone else. I wonder if that is secretly the boards goal. What a horrible move yet again for a company with such a proud history of innovation and development. The firing of Leo and the hiring of Meg will do nothing to appease shareholders who are currently suing them because the direction is the exact same. What is so sad is Leo walks away with millions and 525 people just lost their jobs.
    Last edited by Superjudge; 09/23/2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Investors aren't liking the outcome of the change at the helm: US HOT STOCKS: H-P, Nike, Mosaic, Tibco Software, Cavium - WSJ.com. According to the piece:
    Shares fell as investors are apparently not pleased that the H-P board, after scrambling to fire Leo Apotheker as CEO, scrambled to replace him with Meg Whitman, and then decided to pretty much do what Leo Apotheker was going to do anyway.
    WebOS isn't widely used so what is the point of keeping it around?
    what for webos hardware, need out ? if the strategic promotion & hardware developer from de ceo and Co. is terrible & wrong the product is "WONDERFULL", better than ipads ? androids !!!
    the act is fatal in the history of tech co. No other company is stupid than it Ceo
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Because I have a phone and tablet that run wewbOS. I would love to update the phone to a more modern device but can't. They should keep it around strictly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Because I have a phone and tablet that run wewbOS. I would love to update the phone to a more modern device but can't. They should keep it around strictly for me.
    That really is what some of these threads are about.
    STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. What in the world is HPs thinking on this? Its hard to run an enterprise IT business when you have no customers left because everyone is either POed at you or just doesn't trust you anymore.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    That seems kind of like a dumb statement, use Apple desktops for example:
    2003 Apple 2.06% of desktops
    2004 Apple 2.88% of desktops
    2006 Apple 6.10% of desktops
    2007 Apple 7.31% of desktops
    2008 Apple 9.63% of desktops
    2010 Apple 10.90% of desktops

WebOS devices are already at the 2% mark that took Apple 20 years to get to. Tablets are going to boom within the next few years, I tend to think that they will be a thing that everyone has (like a smartphone). Put in the time now to build a solid base by losing a little bit of money and you will be HUGE when the whole thing goes full scale. You are talking about a multi-billion dollar company, they can afford to lose a few million for a short amount of time...
    viper151 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    That seems kind of like a dumb statement, use Apple desktops for example:
    2003 Apple 2.06% of desktops
    2004 Apple 2.88% of desktops
    2006 Apple 6.10% of desktops
    2007 Apple 7.31% of desktops
    2008 Apple 9.63% of desktops
    2010 Apple 10.90% of desktops

WebOS devices are already at the 2% mark that took Apple 20 years to get to. Tablets are going to boom within the next few years, I tend to think that they will be a thing that everyone has (like a smartphone). Put in the time now to build a solid base by losing a little bit of money and you will be HUGE when the whole thing goes full scale. You are talking about a multi-billion dollar company, they can afford to lose a few million for a short amount of time...
    WebOS isn't in desktops and where are you getting your 2% number?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Umm, Ok. Then why was Leo fired?
    it's obvious now that he was nothing more than a scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by db3.uk View Post
    Indeed. For whatever reason the board don't see that criticism levelled at Leo and the decline in stock price is directly related to the strategy they devised. I also can't believe that Leo was the only one responsible for they poor way information was communicated.

Investors won't see replacing Leo as a solution. They might see Meg as an even less experienced person to shift HP focus to enterprise. I don't know the women, but she gets less than glowing reports in most articles on the net.
    yup.. a change in CEOs hasn't generated a positive response from investors, but i bet if they annouce a change in strategy we'll see their stock jump back up.

HP stock hits 6-year low after Whitman named CEO - Yahoo! Finance
    LCGuy likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast