Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    I'm there on the $300 mark. Now, what I would really like to see is a really good netbook/tablet hybrid - all the capability (and keyboard) of a netbook, and all the touch convenience of a tablet. ONLY THEN would any touch-based device warrant the $500+ price tag. I had an Asus T91 - terrible with windows XP but FANTASTIC running ubuntu. Pity I dropped it. A similar machine with today's specs, nvidia instead of intel graphics and capacative multitouch would be the perfect mobile device. Even my old $300 Lenovo S10e netbook is capable of dual-head with full HD on the external display. I hate how everyone is making tablets with functionality and specs held back by trying to be slim and minimal to compete with the trendiness of the ipad2, instead of making a fractionally more bulky mobile device that would be super useful. Computers are capable of so much, and being held back by ***** consumers just following what's "cool". </rant>
    DeadVim and intron like this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Does it drop sound every 5 minutes when I'm trying to watch streaming video?
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Anything over $300 and I'm buying a netbook/notebook instead of a tablet. Doesn't matter if it's WebOS, QNX, Android, or IOS. Netbooks/notebooks can just do more for that price.
    This.

My Thinkpad X120e cost me $480 taxes included.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aware View Post
    $300. I like this tablet, but it is secondary to my workhorse machines. I cannot use a tablet to be professionally productive even with an extra keyboard. I'd lust after the features, but they add little to the value of the tablet for 'real world' use for me.
    Agreed. I find this to be a fun toy but I have other toys I would rather spend the money on. Hell, I just priced out a high end full size notebook for $1000 with an i7 processor, 6gb of ram, etc etc...... I would put the money toward that.

The tablet is great for reading, browsing, surfing, watching video, portable music player, things like that. I can see it being very handy for someone that travels a lot. But for me its just a fun gadget at any price.
    No I think HP should say in the middle 250-300 since there is no one selling quality tablet at that price ...just personal opinion*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The specs are fine. I want better software (particularly the web browser) and better build quality.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Agree, instead of making it costly gadget HP should make it featured. Only Apple can sell a $600 device, rest of the world has to be cheap.

my thoughts for OP

- HDMI is a must
    - dual boot can be a future thought
    - GPS??? Android phones have best of both worlds
    - dual core or quad core, must be reasonably priced (that's why it can't be latest processor)

bottom line - it should be $299 (actual production cost of existing TP)
    Those specs don't really warrant a full "2" moniker, more like "+".
    I show' would! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    Agreed. I find this to be a fun toy but I have other toys I would rather spend the money on. Hell, I just priced out a high end full size notebook for $1000 with an i7 processor, 6gb of ram, etc etc...... I would put the money toward that.

The tablet is great for reading, browsing, surfing, watching video, portable music player, things like that. I can see it being very handy for someone that travels a lot. But for me its just a fun gadget at any price.
    Yup.

No way would I pay more than $200 for a tablet. The TP is fine just the way it is--cause you know the Homebrew geniuses are always gonna make it better!--and I love the price!

What I would pay for is a webOS phone with cutting edge specs and a little bigger screen (like the Pre 3)--much more useful given that I've go the tablet thang covered.
    Specs mean nothing without quality software that work in harmony with it. This is the reason the ipad2 sells. Quality hardware and software in a nice little package.

The Touchpad '2' would sell tons more and at a price near equal to the iPad IF they get developers to make a lot of apps for the tablet and there is a high build quality to go with an updated (that has a real web browser please!)
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    No - I believe tablets, in order to have a "place" in the market need to be priced at about $200 or below. Anything more and I'm better off buying a full computer.
    No, not without better customer support and confirmed better Webos support for the future.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    No - I'd pay what I'd paid for this one - £89 and not a penny more.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I wouldn't go over 300 but the only two hardware features I want is a retina style display and built in GPS(more ram wouldn't hurt).
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
    I'm just curious... what are you doing on your hypothetical Tablet device that requires a Quad core processor or is it just for bragging rights?
    What are you doing with more than 640KB of memory? Is it just for bragging rights?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    imo tablets should be like how netbooks were when they came out. between 200-300. anything higher and you are better off just getting a laptop

edit: unless it was like the asus transformer. that would be the best of both worlds
    Last edited by illli; 09/23/2011 at 04:33 PM.
    500-600
    Okay I will pay $50 extra for my $149.99 32G TP1 if they replaced the plastic back with a metal one.

Seriously, I think $399 is what any tablets worth at the most because they don't replace regular computers. It's fun to use the tablet for a short while but soon strain my palm. They are expensive because they are new toys that got people excited. But when the dust settles like the netbook, price will drop.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast