Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Oh the irony.

(and yes I know it's not for a webOS device, BUT the ad is still the same for all their products, current and ones cancelled)
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    BTW, it might be wishful thinking, but my TP is named "Phoenix."
    That's awesome. I've often thought they could come out with a superphone like all those mockups everyone had months ago, with the same name.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Not sure I get what you're saying. The TP is already in production right now (as they are making another 200k). They alreay have almost a million out there. The ecosystem comes from being a viable platform, which it is at the moment, as they will have 1 million units out there and at least 5.6 million people (who signed up for the HP email for information concerning further inventory) that know about them.
    they're not making anymore touchpads. They are assembling what's left to keep their production partners happy. It's a subtle difference, but has a lot of meaning.

1 million people who bought it because it was $99. Not for the same utility as the latest ipad. Without apps, Touchpad would never move to the mainstream and new hardware would fall flat. The author of the article basically wants a second generation Touchpad released now without fixing the real flaws of the whole WebOS platform.

Brand awareness won't fix a non-existent app store or a slow web browser.
    Last edited by sparced; 09/23/2011 at 05:27 PM.
    No there is no subtle difference when one is arguing the viability of bringing back the touchpad. Finishing off contractual obligations, manufacturing unbits, doesn't matter one bit, they are still in production.

Noone is arguing the fact that HP has discontinued making them, people are just speculating that if brought back in a timely manner, that they could be a viable product. Nothing more. They have had so much exposure during this whole entire fiasco they are a household name. That is all, marketing people will tell you that negative advertising is every bit as effective as positive press.

And the ecosystme is there, you can say what crap you want, blah blah blah people only bought them because they were $99 blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is that 1 million people bought because they were a low price tablet, even without the app catalog so there goes your notion that they wont sell. And, I bet that most people don't give even give a **** about your web browser, your just looking for something negative to say about it. I think it runs good enough for what I use it for...

And yes, I bought one because it was cheap. I missed the firesale. But I did manage to get my 32gb for pretty good deal. Anyhow, I was NEVER in the market for a tablet, especially not for $6-700. I was for $2-250 though. I bought it for what it is, a cool thing for cheap.
    I seriously doubt the 1 million touchpad sales figure.
    OK.
    HP pumping a million unproven Touchpads to retail at release? The Best Buy order is staggering enough and there is no other retailer near that size out there for a product like this.
    OK.
    Speculate all you want, I will choose to live by the numbers that I have been given by independent auditors, as well as HP themselves, which are all over the web.

Then consider the 5.6 million people who expressed interest through registering at the HP website prior to them closing it down.
    Noone is arguing the fact that HP has discontinued making them, people are just speculating that if brought back in a timely manner, that they could be a viable product. Nothing more. They have had so much exposure during this whole entire fiasco they are a household name. That is all, marketing people will tell you that negative advertising is every bit as effective as positive press.
    and marketing/brand awareness can't fix a flawed webos ecosystem. Few apps = failed tablet no matter how many times you re-release/resurrect it.

And the ecosystme is there, you can say what crap you want, blah blah blah people only bought them because they were $99 blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is that 1 million people bought because they were a low price tablet, even without the app catalog so there goes your notion that they wont sell.
    anything will sell at $99. There's just no reason for HP to sell at that price or bring back the touchpad in any form at such a ridiculously low price. HP doesn't have a thriving ebook system that can subsidize an ereader like the Kindle. HP doesn't have a big enough number of available apps that can subsidize taking a loss on the touchpad. Hp wants to sell tablet hardware near the ipad price. You can't do that as a profitable business without a seriously competitive app system.

And, I bet that most people don't give even give a **** about your web browser, your just looking for something negative to say about it. I think it runs good enough for what I use it for...
    Most people don't care about the web browser? then what exactly is the touchpad good for? The web browser is the remaining core feature that is left on the touchpad. Now your comments are losing all logic and it's getting pointless for me to respond.

i like my touchpad and no i'm not looking for something negative to say. The web browser is a common complaint among people on the forums. For some reason, you don't want to accept the product has flaws.
    OK.
    Speculate all you want, I will choose to live by the numbers that I have been given by independent auditors, as well as HP themselves, which are all over the web.

Then consider the 5.6 million people who expressed interest through registering at the HP website prior to them closing it down.
    Show your sources.
    Oh please, what are you 2 years old. Goolge it yourself:
    Login to DIGITIMES archive & research
    HP TouchPad Sale, Cheap, Where, What, How, When?
    How Much Did HP Lose on the TouchPad? Here's a Good Guess. - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD

Hell even PreCentral has stated the 800k figure more than once.

And just for you to see that the 800k number is not out of the ordinary RIMM and Motorola rolled out with that many units initially...
    1M BlackBerry PlayBook tablets, 800K Motorola XOOMs on order for Q1 according to report
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    and marketing/brand awareness can't fix a flawed webos ecosystem. Few apps = failed tablet no matter how many times you re-release/resurrect it.
    Well, apps get developed primarily because the user base grows. If more people come and are aware of it, the app catalog will grow.
    anything will sell at $99. There's just no reason for HP to sell at that price or bring back the touchpad in any form at such a ridiculously low price. HP doesn't have a thriving ebook system that can subsidize an ereader like the Kindle. HP doesn't have a big enough number of available apps that can subsidize taking a loss on the touchpad. Hp wants to sell tablet hardware near the ipad price. You can't do that as a profitable business without a seriously competitive app system.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Nobody will build apps for this thing regardless of how many people are using it. It is not a strategy of instant gratification, it could take a few months.
    Most people don't care about the web browser? then what exactly is the touchpad good for? The web browser is the remaining core feature that is left on the touchpad. Now your comments are losing all logic and it's getting pointless for me to respond.

i like my touchpad and no i'm not looking for something negative to say. The web browser is a common complaint among people on the forums. For some reason, you don't want to accept the product has flaws.
    Yeah, I don't think that most people who use the product will realize that the browser is slow. I don't think they'll ever overclock it. I don't think that they will even care if it has flash or not quite frankly. I think that the majority of people will buy it if it is cheap enough, and use it for what they can do with any tablet, mainly surf the web, check emails, and do most of the stuff that your smartphone can do, but merely take the calling emphasis off out of the equation.
    All those stories use the words assume and reported. They are just repeating the same speculation.

In terms of Blackberry, they are very well branded and positioned at retail. The Touchpad was released with no real brand profile or retail space.

By the way, you are moving from being defensive to name calling.
    HP originally released orders for 900,000-1.1 million 9.7-inch TouchPads to Inventec and has taken deliveries of 800,000-900,000 units, said the sources, noting that the shipped TouchPads were nearly all sold out after the vendor slashed the tablet's price to US$99.
    This one uses released, which is clearly not as speculative in nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I doubt they have a million units out there. Best Buy, by far the biggest retailer, had 270K units. To believe there are a million in the marketplace, there would have to be almost 750K units in other retailers. Highly doubtful.
    Best Buy, the biggest US retailer had 270k units. 750k units in other retailers in the US, EU and Asia.

There's a whole world outside the country you live in, you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Best Buy, the biggest US retailer had 270k units. 750k units in other retailers in the US, EU and Asia.

There's a whole world outside the country you live in, you know?
    Of course I know that. What's the biggest Touchpad market outside the US?
    This one uses released, which is clearly not as speculative in nature.
    It states "said the sources".
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I gotta agree. *Love the touchpad but the browser is **** lol. *I'd love dolphin browser on this.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    It states "said the sources".
    well if there weren't any sources there wouldn't be any information right? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    well if there weren't any sources there wouldn't be any information right? :-P

Of course. I am simply saying an outlay of a million units sounds inflated.

It very well may show how misguided HP was and why they had to shut it down. With that kind of stock and a less than 10% sell through in the first month, it is a financial disaster.

What was the wholesale price to retail? Did they deal to ship more units? What was HP's buy-in to retail - the cost of inclusion in the circular and in store positioning?

How many units did HP hold back for replacement, damaged goods, etc.?

Marketing budgets are made with ship/projection and HP went full tilt to launch the product above a normal marketing spend.

This is the real world of doing business. It was a failure on all fronts.

If I would have marketed the Touchpad, I would have shipped 75K units, sold them for 200 and 300 at first to build demand - make it a must have item and then go wide at full price increasing the ships a little at a time. Make retail think they have a winner, not a boat anchor.

The other side of the coin is they ran the risk of people talking about cracks, etc and the demand going away.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast