Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Lets face it there aren't many products that have a very limited production run with such high media coverage. What's the total number made do you think? I (like I'm sure lots of us do / have) collect various things. Mostly radio control cars - vintage ones to do with when I was growing up etc.

But could we see an unused HP touchpad being sort after in years to come? Most electronic stuff does go through phases of being collectible, since I suppose a fair number of the consumers are geeky, and possibly more likely to collect stuff.

What do you reckon? I'm using mine so I haven't bought for that purpose, but was just wondering...
    The biggest problem I see with this versus other vintage electronics collectibles is the battery. Also the influx of various tablet computers right now. Never know, but I don't see it falling in the realm of vintage console games or other electronics.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I wish I still had my Atari 2600!
    sledge007, Loccy and DeadVim like this.
    Not right away. Maybe after a decade or two.
    There will be over a million TouchPad's in the wild after HP's final production run. It's not rare enough to be a collector's item.

Something like a pre-production TouchPad Go or maybe even the Pre 3 could be a collectors item, but not the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    I think I still have mine at my parents house...
    zero percent chance of it being a collectors item. It is a failed electronic gadget from a company that exited the business.

There's nothing hugely unique about the design or function. Nothing that is so great about it that will keep enthusiasm going for more than a few years.

It's got a two or three year value at best until some new competitor swoops in or a new ipad is released. Then consumers will be on to the next great thing and touchpad will be a distant memory....
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    zero percent chance of it being a collectors item. It is a failed electronic gadget from a company that exited the business.

There's nothing hugely unique about the design or function. Nothing that is so great about it that will keep enthusiasm going for more than a few years.

It's got a two or three year value at best until some new competitor swoops in or a new ipad is released. Then consumers will be on to the next great thing and touchpad will be a distant memory....
    This. It's hardly an iconic product like a Palm Pilot or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post

I don't see how or why it would become a collector's item. It's certainly not unique in the concept of it. The gadget market is all about the hottest thing, so electronics considering, you're always living in the spur of the moment.

I can, however, see the HP Touchpad in Museums. I could even see it in Economics Books- I would even make a lesson plan about Supply and Demand using the Touchpad as an example.
    me too

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I doubt it. While they were highly sought after ... sooo many people have them.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    nope. collector's items are rare. Too many touchpads are abound.

The white 64gb or the 3G one that someone ran over might be though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    I never forgave my mum for giving mine away to the local pikies. So much so that I bought one off eBay a couple of years ago. Atari 2600 Berzerk is still the best game ever written.
    It won't become a collector's item; as others have said there will be way too many devices out there for that to happen.

It will form an interesting footnote in HP's history though.
    Maybe the GSM ones, white ones, or 64 GB? Or the opal?

I will get one of those, to add to my Foleo, various Visors, and TI/994a. I now wish I never sold my IBM PCjr (that came with both one of the first infrared keyboards, along with the infamous chicklet keyboards). Ebay has some on sale now...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    It's just one more failed tablet on the scrap heap. It's not the first and certainly not the last.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    No.

If it were the first touchscreen tablet with this much power....maybe, but that ship sailed well before the TP. Failed gadgets are not collectors items. Heck, most successful gadgets aren't collectors items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    nope. collector's items are rare. Too many touchpads are abound.

The white 64gb or the 3G one that someone ran over might be though.
    And possibly the Pre 3 AT&T and Verizon versions....
    Lol no the touchpad will come and go just like everything else. The way technology moves so fast there is no need for a collectors item.

sent from my thunderbolt
    The only thing my tablet will be collecting in the near future is dust.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast