Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SmartFah
  • 1 Post By muyoso
  • 1 Post By mbk1487
  • 1 Post By rnld
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have to agree with the author 100%! read the paragraph that directly deals with webOS and then use the link.....

take care,

Jay

What HP Can Do to Save Itself
    By Joel Santo DomingoSeptember 22, 2011

What HP Can Do to Save Itself | Joel Santo Domingo | PCMag.com

Decide what to do with WebOS. We're fans of the mobile operating system at PCMag, and the recent run on closeout HP TouchPads shows that the users are too (did you hear about anyone clamoring for the Fusion Garage JooJoo when it was discontinued? Me neither). Price the next version of the TouchPad right, and it could be the iPad contender it wants to be.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    the way things look currently, its like they dont want or cant be bothered to save themselves, maybe all of the board are rich enough as it is and dont need or care for anything else
    I have to agree as well. The fact that everyone has gone into a frenzy over the TouchPad when it went firesale shows that people wanted them, just not at the $500 price tag. No one went crazy over the JooJoo when it was discontinued. If the TouchPad was really a flop, it wouldn't even sell at $99/$149.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    HP is a big company. Betting their future on WebOS, which they have owned for a year, or the Touchpad, which failed at launch a couple of months ago, isn't really part of their big picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I have to agree as well. The fact that everyone has gone into a frenzy over the TouchPad when it went firesale shows that people wanted them, just not at the $500 price tag. No one went crazy over the JooJoo when it was discontinued. If the TouchPad was really a flop, it wouldn't even sell at $99/$149.
    It was a flop.
    This just isn't true from my experience. I personally bought it for Android. The people in line with me didn't know what WebOS was. They were asking me if they could browse the internet and edit word documents on it. These are people camping out at best buy at 4am, and they had NO clue what WebOS was. The guys in front of me never had heard of it. The guys behind me knew what WebOS was but wanted Ubuntu on it and heard about the Android port and wanted it primarily to read textbooks for college. Sure there were some on the fence who wanted the tablet but not for the price, but I think a majority saw a cheap tablet and jumped at the chance because it was a fantastic deal.

Also, I hope none of you listen to the thisismynext podcast, because they are being brutal on this whole HP thing and WebOS in general.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    This just isn't true from my experience. I personally bought it for Android. The people in line with me didn't know what WebOS was. They were asking me if they could browse the internet and edit word documents on it. These are people camping out at best buy at 4am, and they had NO clue what WebOS was. The guys in front of me never had heard of it. The guys behind me knew what WebOS was but wanted Ubuntu on it and heard about the Android port and wanted it primarily to read textbooks for college. Sure there were some on the fence who wanted the tablet but not for the price, but I think a majority saw a cheap tablet and jumped at the chance because it was a fantastic deal.

Also, I hope none of you listen to the thisismynext podcast, because they are being brutal on this whole HP thing and WebOS in general.

Those are some good points that I didn't consider. For me, it was more about the price. I was planning on getting a TouchPad, but I was going to wait a while for the price to drop, then the firesale happened, and I was lucky enough to get one a week or so ago through QVC.

I guess alot of people bought it for the chance to get Android on it, as for me: if I want an Android tablet, I'll buy an Android tablet.

I am listening to the TIMN podcast, and they are being brutal, but it's brutally honest. I like to be optimistic, but things are looking pretty dead for webOS.
    Those are some good points that I didn't consider. For me, it was more about the price. I was planning on getting a TouchPad, but I was going to wait a while for the price to drop, then the firesale happened, and I was lucky enough to get one a week or so ago through QVC.

I guess alot of people bought it for the chance to get Android on it, as for me: if I want an Android tablet, I'll buy an Android tablet.

I am listening to the TIMN podcast, and they are being brutal, but it's brutally honest. I like to be optimistic, but things are looking pretty dead for webOS.
    I think the SERIOUS majority of people bought it because it was a chance to get an "ipad*" for 99 bucks. I doubt very many people bought it for Android expressly. I think a lot of people just noticed a FANTASTIC deal (80% off) and jumped at it.

*When I say iPad I mean that a majority of the public doesn't know what the difference is as their use for a tablet are simple web browsing and email.
    I didn't catch the podcast. What did they say on the podcast that was so brutal outside of webOS is dead etc?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    HP is a big company. Betting their future on WebOS, which they have owned for a year, or the Touchpad, which failed at launch a couple of months ago, isn't really part of their big picture.
    Hi all,

Unless HP does dump the computer business...which will continue to anger Wall Street, even more...plus the fact that HP's computer div is so huge no one can absorb it nor in this financial climate is anyone seems interested in acquiring parts of it......then HP will have to come to the realization that Mark Hurd did...The future of computing is mobile and then they will have turn 180 degrees on webOS!

Meg cannot afford to screw this up...she has many detractors plus the election in Calif. damaged her reputation further.....

No matter how she spins this if she takes one step too far on the ice, she will find herself falling thru to ruination!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    WebOS didn't die because of the former CEO. WebOS was pretty dead when HP bought Palm. The former CEO simply pulled the plug. It may have been early to some but there were no indications that it was going to come back to life in HP's world.
    HP can go mobile with Android OS or Windows mobile. To have their own OS out there is not a huge win. They have done very well in the PC business without their own OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    HP can go mobile with Android OS or Windows mobile. To have their own OS out there is not a huge win. They have done very well in the PC business without their own OS.
    What if HP released Android tablets which they promised would all be upgradeable and dual bootable with Windows 8 when it launches. Instant differentiator.
    Last edited by muyoso; 09/22/2011 at 09:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    That is completely false. I did not want a tp but for 100 what the hell. I barely use it and can see why it flop
    sell it to me...get your $100 back...I'm happy, you're happy...
    zwergholdrio likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    What if HP released Android tablets which they promised would all be upgradeable and dual bootable with Windows 8 when it launches. Instant differentiator.
    microsoft would never allow that to happen
    There are plenty of Touchpads on Ebay and Craig's List for sale for under $300 and they are not selling out.
    dignitary likes this.
    Did the JooJoo have a one-weekend firesale at $99?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    microsoft would never allow that to happen
    Microsoft would never allow someone to buy their OS for a hundred to couple hundred dollars and install it on a tablet? I bet they would.
    IMO. What can HP or any company do to save itself.

Number 1, 2, and 3. Don't hire a CEO from the same inbred club that most CEOs come from. They all want the same thing, to rape your company for their own benefit. How can board members of large companies not know this now. Boggles the mind.

4. Don't pay severance pay to out going CEOs. Make it a company policy.