Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I know I'm not CEO material, but I believe I am the kind of end user that HP wants to listen to. I buy stuff and I become loyal to good stuff I find helpful. Over the years, both Palm and HP have proven good products for my use. Having given the caveat, I have some advice for HP.

    1) Yes, replace Apotheker. You know more reasons why than I do.
    2) Take advantage of the fact that the HP Touchpad is one of the hottest consumer tablets right now. Put it back in production and sell it at the current price point. You will win massive market share.
    3) Revive WebOS and incentivize the app market highly. Sell more apps and make money thereby.
    4) Find a way to emulate android and/or ios on the webOS platform and partner with their app stores.
    5) Market webOS as the must have item for Christmas -- ahead of and at a cheaper price point that the Amazon Kindle Tablet.
    6) Approach the software market and cloud services while still upholding the market for personal computing devices.
    7) Partner with multimedia delivery groups like Blockbuster or Netflix and sell (gleaning some profit from) movies and other streaming media (music too) with a broad selection.
    8) Get a Nook app up and running. Partner with B&N for a profit share.
    9) Set up kiosks in major malls to get people to try out WebOS devices and while you are there, highlight other cutting edge HP Product lines. Have in mall drawings that create buzz and draw people in. Use these lists for future targeting of your market groups.
    10) Make a paid app a day free for that day like Amazon does in its app store. This causes people to check the app store every day, increasing traffic and other revenues, while creating word of mouth advertising for the apps you give away for only one day.

    I hope these suggestion will prove helpful. I hope someone with input to the HP board shares these, and I hope you'll post your suggestions in this thread. If HP is grateful for my work, they can always get me a 32 gb or 64 gb Touchpad.
  2.    #2  
    I thought of one more: make a WebOS app that runs on PC's so that people can have an emulator on their computers and this will make WebOS and the app store even more viable and attractive.
  3. #3  
    No new CEO is going to come in and sell the Touchpad at a loss. It's not going to happen.

    They will not try to revive someone else's mess. Too risky.
  4. #4  
    Truthfully, if HP decided to bring back the Touchpad even at a slightly higher price-point, it would sell. Make the 16gb 250 or so, and the 32 300... competitive VS android tablets, and half as much as an iPad. Do what Sony did with the PS3, it was only recently that the hardware on every PS3 sold started making a profit. They made their money in software. HP surely can do something similar, especially if they put more backing into WebOS.
  5. #5  
    The only way I see number 2 happening is if they make a deal with Cyogen to make the port of Android as dual boot only and not a replacement of the webOS. Otherwise people would just buy the pad and port droid on it
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  6. cvendra's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Otherwise people would just buy the pad and port droid on it
    Only the geeks. At that price point, many more people will buy TP, not just geeks.
  7. #7  
    Hell, they could even sell the hardware with an official android version, if they wanted to go that far, and give people the option of using either.

    Though, if they could so something like RIM and let WebOS run android apps.... That alone could make a difference.
  8. #8  
    You can't just make up numbers that you think the touchpad should be. It costs to manufacture, ship, market, develop, sell at wholesale, etc.

    These are realities.
  9. #9  
    I understand that. Like I said, it would sell at higher than firesale prices. Just not that much at original, which is my point. Make it cheaper than the iPad, yet competitive enough to make it more attractive than the 52 flavors of Android that barely work together (and sometimes wonky at best. I had a few Android devices. Lovely hardware, but the bugs turned me off competely from the platform).

    WebOS can come back, and be a strong alternative if someone is willing to give it the chance. Shame to see the Touchpad's userbase die or go to another platform.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by revlamb2 View Post
    I know I'm not CEO material, but I believe I am the kind of end user that HP wants to listen to. I buy stuff and I become loyal to good stuff I find helpful. Over the years, both Palm and HP have proven good products for my use. Having given the caveat, I have some advice for HP.

    1) Yes, replace Apotheker. You know more reasons why than I do.
    2) Take advantage of the fact that the HP Touchpad is one of the hottest consumer tablets right now. Put it back in production and sell it at the current price point. You will win massive market share.
    3) Revive WebOS and incentivize the app market highly. Sell more apps and make money thereby.
    4) Find a way to emulate android and/or ios on the webOS platform and partner with their app stores.
    5) Market webOS as the must have item for Christmas -- ahead of and at a cheaper price point that the Amazon Kindle Tablet.
    6) Approach the software market and cloud services while still upholding the market for personal computing devices.
    7) Partner with multimedia delivery groups like Blockbuster or Netflix and sell (gleaning some profit from) movies and other streaming media (music too) with a broad selection.
    8) Get a Nook app up and running. Partner with B&N for a profit share.
    9) Set up kiosks in major malls to get people to try out WebOS devices and while you are there, highlight other cutting edge HP Product lines. Have in mall drawings that create buzz and draw people in. Use these lists for future targeting of your market groups.
    10) Make a paid app a day free for that day like Amazon does in its app store. This causes people to check the app store every day, increasing traffic and other revenues, while creating word of mouth advertising for the apps you give away for only one day.

    I hope these suggestion will prove helpful. I hope someone with input to the HP board shares these, and I hope you'll post your suggestions in this thread. If HP is grateful for my work, they can always get me a 32 gb or 64 gb Touchpad.
    My suggestion for you is to keep up the good work, attitude and thoughts. I will follow your thread. Maybe I too can be a positive thinker.
    Thank you for your post.
    shanpalm61@gmail.com
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    You can't just make up numbers that you think the touchpad should be. It costs to manufacture, ship, market, develop, sell at wholesale, etc.

    These are realities.
    Yes, but you can make a decision to "lose" money for future gain. If the biggest problem facing webOS tablet adoption is app/market share, you can view losses from hardware sales as a downpayment on fixing that problem. Just as you can overspend to acquire a British software firm to "position yourself for the future," you can spend more on hardware losses to do the same.

    Saying flat out that this will not work shows a lack of business judgment. Rather, HP should study the potential and make a decision based on numbers.

    If it costs $350 all-inclusive to make/market/sell a 32 GB TouchPad and they sell it for, say $275, and you plan to sell 1 million/month, that would be $75 million in losses/month. If sustainable market share is 10 million units, that would be $750 million spent on this campaign to rival the iPad in adoption.

    Compare that to $10 billion spent on a software firm with only $1 billion in revenue (not profit). Given what usual premiums are for that kind of uncontested acquisition, HP overpaid by probably at least $2.5 billion. So HP "lost" 3 times as much as they would executing a webOS adoption strategy.

    The point is, people need to do that math. Not make blanket statements.
    C-Note likes this.
  12. #12  
    Yea, point number 2 is where this all falls apart. I would buy a SILLY number of these tablets (Probably around 20) and they would all be running Android. I'd resell a couple and then use the rest as gifts/car radio replacements/anything else I can think of. Literally hundreds of thousands would sell costing HP dearly and would be converted to Android. You can't sell your product at a loss when it isn't locked down.
  13. #13  
    The math shows the Touchpad to be a loser. Pure and simple. You are looking at this through the filter of wanting the Touchpad to continue for your own reasons.

    You can't compare another bad decision that HP made regarding a software firm with the bad decision to buy Palm and enter a new market for HP that was failing under Palm.

    Only a a stupid CEO would continue with this debacle.
  14. #14  
    Also, point 3 is ABSOLUTELY contradictory to point 4. If Android apps run on the Touchpad, what dev is going to waste their time developing for WebOS?

    Also, point 10 would be disastrous as all of the Touchpad apps would be given away free in a matter of what, like a year?
    zappcatt likes this.
  15. #15  
    My advice to HP is simple and concise. Don't fire Leo. Leo is good. Leo is the best. I feel the same way about pickled beets, wherein I dry heave just thinking about them.

    Dry heaving is good for your body as it exercises the diaphragm and causes you abdominals to engage.

    Dry heaving - good.

    Leo - good.

    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    major payne likes this.
  16. #16  
    HP is not going to put their eggs in the Touchpad business just because remaining stock flew off the shelfs for crazy, unrealistic prices with shipping included.

    There is NOTHING to show that it would sell at $275.00.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Yea, point number 2 is where this all falls apart. I would buy a SILLY number of these tablets and they would all be running Android. Literally hundreds of thousands would sell costing HP dearly and would be converted to Android. You can't sell your product at a loss when it isn't locked down.
    And millions might sell to people who don't care or don't know how to convert to Android. Or that would use webOS until it could be converted, and might find no reason to convert to Android after they see what it can do.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    And millions might sell to people who don't care or don't know how to convert to Android. Or that would use webOS until it could be converted, and might find no reason to convert to Android after they see what it can do.
    Yea, but for every tablet that DOES sell to someone who puts Android on it, that is ANOTHER 100-150 dollar loss that HP has to make up in app sales or however else they plan to make money off the larger base. For sure most people would stay with WebOS, but having even a small minority take their business over to Android ruins the entire economics of selling the Touchpad at a loss to gain marketshare and a userbase.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    There is NOTHING to show that it would sell at $275.00.
    Except eBay prices, which on this scale do a good approximation of what the market will accept as a price.

    It's statements like this that make people lose credibility. Now, if you said something like, "Although there is some evidence that the market would accept a $275 pricing, this may be inflated due to consumer knowledge of the limited quantity. There is nothing to show that $275 is a sustainable price when supply restrictions are lifted," people might believe what you type.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by revlamb2 View Post
    I know I'm not CEO material,...
    I have to stop you right there; after reading your post, and looking at HP's run since Apotheker's been in charge, I have to say you are more qualified than Leo. I'm sure if you ran things these past eleven months, things would be alot better for everyone; consumers, shareholders, & HP employees.

    Unfortunately Leo (and the BOD) has set HP on a collusion course with an iceberg, I don't think anyone will be able to stop the Titanic from sinking in time.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions