Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    Except eBay prices, which on this scale do a good approximation of what the market will accept as a price.

It's statements like this that make people lose credibility. Now, if you said something like, "Although there is some evidence that the market would accept a $275 pricing, this may be inflated due to consumer knowledge of the limited quantity. There is nothing to show that $275 is a sustainable price when supply restrictions are lifted," people might believe what you type.
    In all due respect, knock off the baloney of how I should make statements. Your long post would be easy pickings for this kind of thing.

The Touchpad bombed. Pure and simple. A few dozen Ebay sales mean nothing to a huge corporation.
  2.    #22  
    I meant that it would be a decision to lose money for future gain through Christmas. While making and selling the Touchpads at a loss, newer ones with state of the art hardware could be configured for sale right around the time tax rebates come in. And those could be sold at only a slight margin of profit. Maybe 299 and 399, whatever, just keep them lower than ipad and keep improving their abilities. The point I am making is that HP could use a unique market fluke (the firesale and Touchpad popularity) to carve out its own niche and then re-group with better offerings down the road.

Also, my suggestions are not necessarily linked, but are different ideas that I think could be looked into.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    Only the geeks. At that price point, many more people will buy TP, not just geeks.
    could have a point here
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    No new CEO is going to come in and sell the Touchpad at a loss. It's not going to happen.

They will not try to revive someone else's mess. Too risky.

I agree! If I were stepping in, I would not sell the TouchPad at the current price. Taking a $200 hit on each unit sold is not smart business. With all of the layoffs, HP is not going to build these devices. Though, before it is to late, they do need to get moving fast on putting out another device to keep the webOS going. We need another update and the Pre 2 & Veer need a update too.

HP is sure in a mess and it is going to cost them more money to get out of it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Well we are going to find out, it's official, Leo has been fired and replaced with Whitman.
  6.    #26  
    Anyone have Whitman's e-mail?
    Yeah, well Leo not so bad off. He got paid and paid well to leave

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Didn't HP have the pads just sitting in their warehouse for 2 years anyway. The cost to make them was cheaper back then, then now. Well maybe some of the new hardware back then was more expensive then now since it was new technology back then, but the cost to make all that now is definately much cheaper, so the loss isn't all that much.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Unless HP seriously expands its' app store, making anymore hardware is pointless. You'll never get wide consumer adoption without much larger developer support.

Here's my list of high priority things to do first:
    1) Speed up the browser
    2) Release some performance updates
    3) Patch up any remaining major bugs
    4) Most important one.... Keep building out app store and encouraging developers to continue support.

If you fix all that, then you can look at building out new hardware even if it's through some third party partner. Worst case is that you have an OS that you can sell off to someone like Amazon to use on the Kindle.

IMO, the first three on that list wouldn't even cost that much since you still have the software employees.
    We can make all the apps we want, but if we don't have many people to download them because we aren't making more tablets to put into peoples hands, so they would want to download apps for their newly found tablets, then the developers would be wasting their time. Unless HP thinks its a great plan to just keep the million or so people they have with hardware and think they are going to survive off of just them. The major OS companies didn't get to where they are because of apps. They got devices in peoples hands, which created a major market for developers, developers saw all the people that purchased from these companies and created apps for the masses.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Wow... It's pretty clear that few people have any clue as to how the electronics and retail business works. That, and wishful thinking, is the only way I can explain all these goofy/crazy sell touchpads at 199$ schemes!

First of all, the Touchpad didn't start selling before the price was 99-150$. It doesn't matter what it's selling for at Ebay, I mean can you seriously imagine a boardmember standing up at a meeting going: "Hey, it's going for 249 at ebay, so we can probably sell it at least 279!" Can you? Yeah, neither can I!

Secondly, the argument is made that since the Touchpad costs 300$ to make, HP could sell it for 300 and it'll break even. NO, NO NO... The 300 dollars is what is called BOM only. Bill of Materials, how much the parts cost. Add to that the actual cost of production (wages, etc), distribution costs, development costs (webOS doesn't build itself you know), advertising costs, as well as a nice little profit for the retailer. All of that adds up to something that has to cost around 400 dollars just to break even for HP.

Thirdly, the "Sell it at a loss and make money later" idea. Whoever came up with that for the Touchpad, apparently got their MBA during the dotcom boom, in boo.com or one of the other hopeless pie in the sky enterprises.
    Let's say that HP really would sell it at 300$ and take a hit of at least 100$ every time somebody would buy it. There are really no content deals in place regarding movies or music, so HP could only make its money back on apps. They get 30% of the price of an app, so a Touchpad wouldn't be profitable till somebody spent 300 dollars on apps.
    THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS! Which is about the price of the TP itself.

But of course there are costs involved with the App catalogue itself, so HP would only start to make 5 or 10 dollars or so, once somebody would have spent around 350-360 dollars on apps. Do you realize what a tiny profitmargin that is? Or how insane the whole proposal really is? I don't think you even CAN spend 360 dollars on apps, not unless you start buying all the really terrible apps. That's like 70, SEVENTY, 5 dollar apps, when we look at somebody who proudly report that theyve spent 50 bucks on apps in total as a big spender.

You'd be hardpressed to find an iPad or iPhone owner who have spent over 300 dollars on apps, even over a couple of years. And iTunes have hundred of thousand high quality apps available, that are heads and shoulders above most of the stuff in Palms App Catalogue.

If you enjoy your Touchpad or webOS device, that's great. Get as much usage from it as you can, because it's dead. Sorry but there is just no way that the Touchpad is viable for HP if it costs less than 4-500 dollars. And we all know it doesn't sell at that price, so the Touchpad is dead. And webOS is dead too, as there is little use for a fourth or fifth mobile ecosystem.
    As a diehard webOS fan, this is not what we want to hear, but you do have a good point. Very well written and this is basic retail information. We are holding on to hope.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12